Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 25 April 2023, 20:48   #221
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
1. What is copper audio?
A poor man's version of silver audio.
Legends say that even golden audio exists, at the end of the rainbow.

Quote:
2. What are the proposed advantages of copper audio over regular Paula/DMA or AHI?
The advantages are many!

- make sure meynaf doesn't die of boredom
- know the end of this story (no spoiler please!)
- your Amiga will make you a coffee while it plays
- peace in the world
- and, last but not least, my nuts will stop cracking
Old 25 April 2023, 20:56   #222
Karlos
Alien Bleed

So how does 56kHz normally work? I recall it being available in double scan modes and also when using cybergfx display. Presumably this is ECS/AGA only?

Last edited by Karlos; 25 April 2023 at 21:08.
Old 25 April 2023, 21:08   #223
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
So how does 56kHz normally work? I recall it being available in double scan modes and also when using cybergfx display.
Audio DMA channels are bound to video line frequency.
The higher the horizontal video frequency, the higher the achievable audio frequency.
Of course you need a chipset that supports programmable video modes (ECS+).
Old 25 April 2023, 22:46   #224
Karlos
Alien Bleed

So is the goal to implement (up to) 56K without the need for higher scan rates (eg OCS compatible) but equally without bogging down the CPU? At some point, the conversation seemed to be veering into using interleaving to increase the logical channel count, which would work better at higher frequencies.
Old 25 April 2023, 23:12   #225
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
So is the goal to implement (up to) 56K without the need for higher scan rates (eg OCS compatible) but equally without bogging down the CPU? At some point, the conversation seemed to be veering into using interleaving to increase the logical channel count, which would work better at higher frequencies.
If I'm not mistaken this was discussed in the other thread (roondar's one?).

This one is more imaginative and anything can be talked about, the main thing is to keep the viewers entertained.
Old 25 April 2023, 23:18   #226
No.3

In practice this "up to 56 kHz" is ~50-52 kHz depending on which channel is used (Productivity and Euro72).
Old 25 April 2023, 23:26   #227
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
In practice this "up to 56 kHz" is ~50-52 kHz depending on which channel is used (Productivity and Euro72).
The channel number doesn't make much difference (there is a single period of difference between the next ones).

Otherwise it is correct, there can be many KHz of difference depending on the video mode.
Somewhere in another thread here on EAB I wrote how to calculate it.
Old 25 April 2023, 23:37   #228
No.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
The channel number doesn't make much difference (there is a single period of difference between the next ones).
The smaller the period, the bigger is the difference of the resulting replay rate !! e.g.

3546895 / 124 = 28604
3546895 / 125 = 28375
3546895 / 126 = 28150

3546895 / 60 = 59115
3546895 / 61 = 58146
3546895 / 62 = 57208
Old 25 April 2023, 23:47   #229
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
By itself mp3 is bad enough so that you don't need perfect sound system to play it.
Anyway, vampires (68080) are supposed to have higher audio dma limits and 16-bit sound.
It is not CPU related - or we talking about CPU or SoC?
And MP3 is not that bad but de facto it is standard satisfactory to more than 99.9% of listeners.

Quote:
I hope this is a misunderstanding.
The point has never been to emulate a 68000. It was about the 68000 itself doing clock-by-clock simulation ! (Which is obviously impossible.)
My point was to clock accurate simulation of system so CPU + Agnus/Paula and Denise if necessary - with HDL simulators this is doable with reasonable speed as nowadays those 150k transistors is rather low complexity design.

Quote:
It's you who are waiting, not me.
it is you who started calling ross about missing code so seem you are waiting for this code more than me.

Quote:
You know full well that superior marketing beats out superior products.
Btw. Didn't they have to fire quite a few people recently ?
NT was not invented by MS but by DEC - and as i read stories they mostly firing people responsible for same bullshit that is behind fail of Silicon Valley Bank - 'diversity, equity and inclusion'

Quote:
They probably require working mmu so yes they can forbid anything.
oh, but this is OS controlled by some secret organization or by programmer?
Old 25 April 2023, 23:56   #230
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
The smaller the period, the bigger is the difference of the resulting replay rate !! e.g.

3546895 / 124 = 28604
3546895 / 125 = 28375
3546895 / 126 = 28150

3546895 / 60 = 59115
3546895 / 61 = 58146
3546895 / 62 = 57208
Yes, one of biggest flaws in Paula - simple divider returns high resolution where it not useful at all - having NCO (and 2 DAC shared between channels) will probably reduce size of die and significantly improve Paula capabilities and make this discussion not present)

btw seem if volume control is active then there is no sense to go for periods lower than 128 (to not violate Nyquist rate) so 14 bit mode may be worse at periods lower than 128 (introduce distortions)
Old 26 April 2023, 00:30   #231
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
btw seem if volume control is active then there is no sense to go for periods lower than 128 (to not violate Nyquist rate) so 14 bit mode may be worse at periods lower than 128 (introduce distortions)
Why period 128?
Distortions start at <64 because there is no way to set up in a right way a PWM pulse (for a full volume counter value).
In my opinion it is quite the opposite, if you want to reach high frequencies for the Nyquist theorem you have to sample at double the maximum of the frequency to be reproduced correctly and therefore you should get as close as possible to the lower available period value.

Also for 14-bits the volume of the channels is fixed so I don't know how a period between 64 and 128 can be a problem.
But maybe I don't understand what you mean
Old 26 April 2023, 01:31   #232
pandy71

Quote:
Why period 128?
Distortions start at <64 because there is no way to set up in a right way a PWM pulse (for a full volume counter value).
In my opinion it is quite the opposite, if you want to reach high frequencies for the Nyquist theorem you have to sample at double the maximum of the frequency to be reproduced correctly and therefore you should get as close as possible to the lower available period value.

Also for 14-bits the volume of the channels is fixed so I don't know how a period between 64 and 128 can be a problem.
But maybe I don't understand what you mean
But this is case with double sampling, PCM is sampled by PWM (and PWM frequency is 1/64 as counter is 6 bit) so in overall PCM rule is extended to PCM or before PWM they shall be reconstructed by reconstruction filter to restore analog signal (but this not implemented in Paula).
Good topic for academic math analysis.
Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-...mpling_theorem

Quote:
PWM sampling theorem states that "Any bandlimited baseband signal within ±0.637 can be represented by a pulsewidth modulation (PWM) waveform with unit amplitude. The number of pulses in the waveform is equal to the number of Nyquist samples and the peak constraint is independent of whether the waveform is two-level or three-level."
Problem is: PCM samples before PWM are not bandlimited...
Old 26 April 2023, 15:44   #233
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
It is not CPU related - or we talking about CPU or SoC?
Accelerators are not only cpu related. On my A1230 i had more memory, a battery-backed clock, an fpu socket, a maprom option, an scsi interface...

Quote:
And MP3 is not that bad but de facto it is standard satisfactory to more than 99.9% of listeners.
Sorry, but today many listeners use MP4 (AAC), or maybe Opus. MP3 is slowly dying.
I can also return this argument and say that 14-bit satisfies more than 99.9% of listeners.

Quote:
My point was to clock accurate simulation of system so CPU + Agnus/Paula and Denise if necessary - with HDL simulators this is doable with reasonable speed as nowadays those 150k transistors is rather low complexity design.
Valid point, but OT - this won't help you in having 68000 do copper audio (which was the original issue).

Quote:
it is you who started calling ross about missing code so seem you are waiting for this code more than me.
I came back here just to say : hey, no code available after a whole month, so you lost the challenge - i was expecting this, end of story, let's move on.
Unfortunately this only created a monster thread.

Quote:
NT was not invented by MS but by DEC - and as i read stories they mostly firing people responsible for same bullshit that is behind fail of Silicon Valley Bank - 'diversity, equity and inclusion'
The issue isn't the kernel itself, it's everything that runs on top of it. NT kernel is actually quite good.
Regardless of the reason they fire people, you can at least reckon they don't exactly have the best reputation of reliability.

Quote:
oh, but this is OS controlled by some secret organization or by programmer?
So now you want to hack their kernel ?
Better hack AmigaOS, it's a magnitude easier.
Old 26 April 2023, 20:18   #234
pandy71

Quote:
Accelerators are not only cpu related. On my A1230 i had more memory, a battery-backed clock, an fpu socket, a maprom option, an scsi interface...
You may add to this I/O, sound, graphics, network etc but at some point from 20 MIPS you going in area of 100..200 MIPS maybe.

Quote:
Sorry, but today many listeners use MP4 (AAC), or maybe Opus. MP3 is slowly dying.
I can also return this argument and say that 14-bit satisfies more than 99.9% of listeners.
Add to AAC at least FLAC, DSD... but still MP3 is common and provide good quality vs overall complexity and as patents are expired nothing can be its market penetrations - on opposite side 14 bit trick market penetration is millions time lower.
Saying that MP3 is slowly dying seem to be quite brave statement especially that on Amiga it is still one of holly grails...

Quote:
Valid point, but OT - this won't help you in having 68000 do copper audio (which was the original issue).
Well - having simulator may substantially help to understand best approach for Copper audio - i can imagine on real HW this can be very time consuming process to get proper and stable Copper timing and at the same time optimize resource usage. We may call this 'profiler'.

Quote:
I came back here just to say : hey, no code available after a whole month, so you lost the challenge - i was expecting this, end of story, let's move on.
Unfortunately this only created a monster thread.
Yes, i feel guilty for helping you derailing thread and making it longer than OP initial intention.
And yes, i know this is not about code but about how 'mine is longer than yours'

Quote:
The issue isn't the kernel itself, it's everything that runs on top of it. NT kernel is actually quite good.
Regardless of the reason they fire people, you can at least reckon they don't exactly have the best reputation of reliability.
Like everything on this planet recently... and to be honest seem nobody care, perhaps excepts some old farts...

Quote:
So now you want to hack their kernel ?
Better hack AmigaOS, it's a magnitude easier.
It was just example (and FreeRTOS is Open Source so probably don't need to be hacked), there are other mini OS that can be used as reference (like Contiki or x86 KolibriOS ) .
Hacking Amiga OS... good luck in endless court battles...
Old 26 April 2023, 21:06   #235
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Add to AAC at least FLAC, DSD... but still MP3 is common and provide good quality vs overall complexity and as patents are expired nothing can be its market penetrations - on opposite side 14 bit trick market penetration is millions time lower.
Saying that MP3 is slowly dying seem to be quite brave statement especially that on Amiga it is still one of holly grails...
Frankly i do not see mp3 as a holy grail. It has been done long ago.
On 'opposite side', 14 bit trick has been used extensively on the Amiga. The fact it is niche market does not change that, please do not compare apples and oranges.

Quote:
Well - having simulator may substantially help to understand best approach for Copper audio - i can imagine on real HW this can be very time consuming process to get proper and stable Copper timing and at the same time optimize resource usage. We may call this 'profiler'.
This is provided the simulator is 100% accurate, which is a little bit difficult to guarantee.

Quote:
Yes, i feel guilty for helping you derailing thread and making it longer than OP initial intention.
You are guilty but not me. I didn't derail this thread, only replied to others who actually did it.

Quote:
And yes, i know this is not about code but about how 'mine is longer than yours'
This is how you see it and you are actually participating... What conclusion shall we draw from this ?

Quote:
It was just example (and FreeRTOS is Open Source so probably don't need to be hacked), there are other mini OS that can be used as reference (like Contiki or x86 KolibriOS ) .
I call hacking the kernel anything that touches the core of the OS. That you have sources or not doesn't matter. But you can find as many miniOS as you want, none will solve the problem at hand - as, provided they actually run on Amiga (which does not appear to be the case), they wouldn't support much of its hardware.

Quote:
Hacking Amiga OS... good luck in endless court battles...

Many, many patches have been made that completely contradict this.
Anyone can call exec.library/SetFunction to replace any part of the OS. Yes you can hack AmigaOS while it is currently running !
Now, please do not speak about things you do not know.
Old 26 April 2023, 23:40   #236
pandy71

Quote:
Frankly i do not see mp3 as a holy grail. It has been done long ago.
On 'opposite side', 14 bit trick has been used extensively on the Amiga. The fact it is niche market does not change that, please do not compare apples and oranges.
lol... once again - even most powerful accelerator in Amiga is still unable to provide at CPU level some basic functionality related to audio without additional sound card but i'm glad that you are happy with 14 bit...

btw apples and oranges are fruits - they can be compared easily... at least i can compare them easily.

Quote:
This is provided the simulator is 100% accurate, which is a little bit difficult to guarantee.
if it can be verified - it can be guaranteed

Quote:
You are guilty but not me. I didn't derail this thread, only replied to others who actually did it.

Quote:
I came back here just to say : hey, no code available after a whole month, so you lost the challenge
lol, indeed, it was other meynaf, not you

Quote:
This is how you see it and you are actually participating... What conclusion shall we draw from this ?
Me? participating?, why you think so?, i was just interested in Copper audio or CPU audio with AUDxPER=65 preferably on OCS if possible and plain MC68000 - as you can't prove that Copper Audio is not possible and also you can't prove that CPU audio is possible under normal OS operation with active multitasking then my conclusion was quite obvious but you seem to not agree with this going even further and denying your previous statement.

Quote:
I call hacking the kernel anything that touches the core of the OS. That you have sources or not doesn't matter. But you can find as many miniOS as you want, none will solve the problem at hand - as, provided they actually run on Amiga (which does not appear to be the case), they wouldn't support much of its hardware.
And if i understand correctly you, Amiga specific HW support can't be added to any of those mini OS's?

Quote:

Many, many patches have been made that completely contradict this.
Anyone can call exec.library/SetFunction to replace any part of the OS. Yes you can hack AmigaOS while it is currently running !
Now, please do not speak about things you do not know.
Seem this is contradictory to your previous statements but OK - not speak, not ask. Thx for patience.
Old 27 April 2023, 09:26   #237
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Now everything is explained!
But the thorny question becomes: how many are there in total!?!?

Just kidding, as always
Old 27 April 2023, 09:38   #238
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
lol... once again - even most powerful accelerator in Amiga is still unable to provide at CPU level some basic functionality related to audio without additional sound card but i'm glad that you are happy with 14 bit...
We have a lot more than "basic" functionality related to audio. We actually have more versatile audio than in "modern" machines. We have independent audio channels, each with own dma and extremely low latencies. We have per-channel volume, we're not locked to a few set of fixed frequencies.
But all you are looking at is the amount of noise on the paper. This is sad.

Quote:
btw apples and oranges are fruits - they can be compared easily... at least i can compare them easily.
You perfectly know it is an English expression saying that one attempts to compare two things that are unrelated.

Quote:
if it can be verified - it can be guaranteed
But it can't be completely verified. It's like software, you can't prove anything is bug-free.

Quote:
Are you starting to be contemptuous now ?
The two statements you quoted are both correct.
I came here to say : nothing after a month. Then it should have stopped, but people started to argue and i just replied.
Note that during all that time, we've seen working cpu audio code but no code doing copper audio.

Quote:
Me? participating?, why you think so?
Yes, you, participating. You are endlessly arguing in here - and often on unrelated points. You so badly want to be 'right' that you end up doing quite a few fallacies (like the two i mentioned below).

Quote:
i was just interested in Copper audio or CPU audio with AUDxPER=65 preferably on OCS if possible and plain MC68000 - as you can't prove that Copper Audio is not possible and also you can't prove that CPU audio is possible under normal OS operation with active multitasking then my conclusion was quite obvious but you seem to not agree with this going even further and denying your previous statement.
I won't give you any proof that copper audio isn't possible, especially because i haven't said it wasn't ! (Note that even if i did, this is reversing the charge of the proof.)
I also didn't pretend one could get cpu audio reliably under OS (even though i actually made it work under jit).
Again you put words in my mouth that i didn't say. (This is strawman fallacy.)
And I am not denying my previous statements, you just see contradictions where there are none - maybe for just the sake of arguing.

Quote:
And if i understand correctly you, Amiga specific HW support can't be added to any of those mini OS's?
Haven't said that. Why do you always surinterpret what i'm writing ?
Yes it could eventually be added, but it is big amount of work - to not solve the problem at the end.

Quote:
Seem this is contradictory to your previous statements but OK - not speak, not ask. Thx for patience.
Where's the sense in that ?

Quote:
Now everything is explained!
But the thorny question becomes: how many are there in total!?!?

Just kidding, as always
Actual number is pretty much unimportant. You will be assimilated. All resistance is futile.
Old 27 April 2023, 10:12   #239
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Actual number is pretty much unimportant. You will be assimilated. All resistance is futile.

meynaf, in his majesty:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meynaf.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	78775  
Old 27 April 2023, 10:20   #240
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:

meynaf, in his majesty:
<snip>
Nope. That's not me.
But don't worry, even assimilators will be assimilated.