English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 February 2016, 22:41   #221
Aegis
Gentleman

Kinda off-topic but I just got OS4 Quake up 'n running at faster than '060 frame rates @ 320x240 - amazing!! (of course, running the 68k Clickboom version in 3.x totally kills it).

Atari++ runs nicely too...

*On-topic* I am running them perfectly from a shared directory

*Edit* Not so good - getting a *lot* of random WinUAE lockups with this latest build (just freezes running stuff like iBrowse - hitting F12 does nothing - I have to kill the WinUAE task).

*Edit2* Hmm... it *might* be corrupt data on my .HDF (I've switched to an earlier backup and that seems to be working) - not sure why that would hang WinUAE though?

*Edit3* Definitely some uaehf filesystem weirdness going on with this build - just had SFSDefrag hang on me (!) it's never done that before.

*Edit4* Going back to Cyberstorm SCSI fixes all the filesystem weirdness and unexpected lockups - sorry I can't be more specific

Last edited by Aegis; 09 February 2016 at 13:33.
Old 09 February 2016, 17:55   #222
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I can now duplicate it, probably mouse capture related.
Now I know the cause but I am not yet sure how to fix it. (Windows mouse state is thread based and in OS4 mode both main and QEMU thread can call RTG mode change functions that then can call Windows functions which is not such a good idea..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
*Edit* Not so good - getting a *lot* of random WinUAE lockups with this latest build (just freezes running stuff like iBrowse - hitting F12 does nothing - I have to kill the WinUAE task).
I haven't managed to duplicate any but I am not also really "using" OS4 either and it can be really random due to complex thread stuff.

Wait for next official beta, when it hangs, instead of killing it using task manager, select "create dump file", compress the dump file and attach/upload/whatever it. Note that it can be very big, use max 7zip compression for best results.

It can take very long to find the real problem..
Old 09 February 2016, 18:06   #223
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Now I know the cause but I am not yet sure how to fix it. (Windows mouse state is thread based and in OS4 mode both main and QEMU thread can call RTG mode change functions that then can call Windows functions which is not such a good idea..)
Ok, well 'Fullscreen' mode is working fine for now as a workaround.

Quote:
I haven't managed to duplicate any but I am not also really "using" OS4 either and it can be really random due to complex thread stuff.
Yes, I've really been pushing it and I've gotten it to (rarely) hard lock up even exclusively using Cyberstorm SCSI so it's not just uaehf-hdf-related. I'll see if I can turn up anything useful with the next beta - thanks
Old 10 February 2016, 17:34   #224
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Update (b5):

- Directory filesystem random errors fixed.
- Directory filesystem/CDFS CD on the fly insertion/removal supported! (It wasn't that difficult after all)
- uaescsi.device supported.

NOTE: Try not to change uaegfx resolution in OS4, it can cause mysterious crashes or side-effects. Fix coming later.

TODO: bsdsocket.library and fixing random hangs.
Old 10 February 2016, 18:09   #225
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Update (b5):

- Directory filesystem random errors fixed.
- Directory filesystem/CDFS CD on the fly insertion/removal supported! (It wasn't that difficult after all)
- uaescsi.device supported.
Initial impressions are good - just ran a whole bunch of apps including video/music players without any issues - this build seems a lot more stable than the last BTW, is native code support planned?
Old 10 February 2016, 20:06   #226
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Filesystem bug most likely caused some hidden side-effects.

I tried to install 4.1FE using CDFS CD and uaehf.device hardfile. Worked fine until something went wrong at 87%. ("trap_background_set_complete(0) still waiting!?" which should not happen)

Quote:
BTW, is native code support planned?
Native probably never happens ("someone elses problem") but making it JIT compatible may be possible.
Old 11 February 2016, 05:03   #227
Aegis
Gentleman

Ok, general stability is much better in this build and I've spent plenty of time tinkering with a wide variety of apps in OS4 without it doing anything odd however using the OS4 .iso to install extras is completely broken for me (using either UAE CDFS or Cyberstorm) - *everything* generates a DSI error and stalls.

I'm still getting some random lockups too - some of them I can F12 out of (WBStartup commodities stalling on boot) and some of them I can't (iBrowse seems particularly prone to locking WinUAE up solid) - would you still like a dump file or shall I wait for the next build?
Old 11 February 2016, 10:45   #228
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I'm still getting some random lockups too - some of them I can F12 out of (WBStartup commodities stalling on boot) and some of them I can't (iBrowse seems particularly prone to locking WinUAE up solid) - would you still like a dump file or shall I wait for the next build?
Dump file may help if it locks up completely (need task manager to kill). At least it should show where it has hung (but most likely not how..)
Old 12 February 2016, 00:16   #229
Aegis
Gentleman

Ok, here's that dump file (70mb, 680mb unzipped). I can get WinUAE to hang maybe 75% of the time by running iBrowse immediately after OS4.1's booted - the only other time I've seen it lock-up like that is running DVPlayer although that seems more random and infrequent.

I also get occasional hangs whilst booting OS4 as the commodities load - this doesn't lock-up WinUAE however (F12 still works) - just the OS.
Old 12 February 2016, 18:12   #230
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Dump file lock up should be fixed now (winuae.7z), uaenet.device related.

EDIT: Note that winuae.7z == dumps are useless. Need to wait for next official beta.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 12 February 2016 at 19:21.
Old 12 February 2016, 19:21   #231
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Dump file lock up should be fixed now (winuae.7z), uaenet.device related.
Great! Initial impressions are really good - just rebooted OS4 10 or so times running iBrowse straight away (this'd normally hang WinUAE at least once) - I'm going to take another look at the CDFS issues I was having next and see if I can find something reproducible.

Quote:
EDIT: Note that winuae.7z == dumps are useless. Need to wait for next official beta.
Ah, OK - noted.

Last edited by Aegis; 12 February 2016 at 19:31.
Old 12 February 2016, 23:03   #232
Aegis
Gentleman

Ok, I've figured out what was going on with the CDFS stuff - I was trying to install 'Run in UAE' from the Extras Installer and it's failing every time:

This seems connected with uaegfx though, not the file-system (see the error) since when using Picasso IV 'Run in UAE' installs fine. Weird.

*Edit* I tried installing a few other things (backdrops, themes, diskimage.device) and they all work fine with both CDFS and Cyberstorm SCSI.

*Edit2* btw - the full tablet input emulation works beautifully in OS4 - painting with Sketchblock and TVPaint is a joy - shame there's no pressure input - I'm guessing that's an OS4 thing?

Last edited by Aegis; 12 February 2016 at 23:32.
Old 12 February 2016, 23:20   #233
Snake79

Similar guru appears after running Ranger -> Gfx Boards (when using uaegfx only, picassoiv works ok).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guru.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	47460  
Old 13 February 2016, 09:09   #234
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

According to stack trace it crashes somewhere in graphics.library -> someone else's problem to debug it. Possibly some invalid parameter in some Picasso96 structure.
Old 13 February 2016, 11:00   #235
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
According to stack trace it crashes somewhere in graphics.library -> someone else's problem to debug it. Possibly some invalid parameter in some Picasso96 structure.
Ok, well I've run out of bugs for now
Old 13 February 2016, 11:12   #236
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

uaegfx mode change thread issue (missing mouse) should be fixed now. It may cause side-effects but finding those are not my problem either
Old 13 February 2016, 11:28   #237
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
uaegfx mode change thread issue (missing mouse) should be fixed now. It may cause side-effects but finding those are not my problem either
Great! Something new to test *Edit* Bliss! Got my fullwindow back!

*Edit2* Toni - what are your thoughts on USB support for OS4? Probably out of the scope of this iteration of WinUAE but theoretically, is it possible to pass say a Wacom Tablet or other controller directly to AmigaOS?

There's already a Wacom USB driver on OS4Depot so it'd be interesting to test if you think it's worth it at some point? I guess it'd need an emulated A1200/4000 USB device (not even sure if that works for Classic).

*Edit3* Apparently the Deneb, Subway and Highway are supported

Last edited by Aegis; 13 February 2016 at 11:49.
Old 13 February 2016, 12:48   #238
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
*Edit2* Toni - what are your thoughts on USB support for OS4? Probably out of the scope of this iteration of WinUAE but theoretically, is it possible to pass say a Wacom Tablet or other controller directly to AmigaOS?

There's already a Wacom USB driver on OS4Depot so it'd be interesting to test if you think it's worth it at some point? I guess it'd need an emulated A1200/4000 USB device (not even sure if that works for Classic).

*Edit3* Apparently the Deneb, Subway and Highway are supported
"Wrong thread". Post in separate thread and you may get better answer

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 February 2016 at 13:05.
Old 14 February 2016, 19:01   #239
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The last two betas fail a soft reboot here, gets looped in green/purple KS flashes on startup. (Thats after KS has installed and OS loaded ok, C+A+A => loop, cant boot)
Old 14 February 2016, 19:44   #240
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do I really need to repeat this again? Config and logs _required_.