English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 10 October 2011, 09:35   #221
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
@meynaf: I can't find this info anywhere, so I'm asking... Is your version working on plain 68000 Amigas? I have a Minimig with 4MB RAM and it doesn't work (goes back to the OS with an error).
Strange you can't find this info anywhere, 'coz it's in the main readme. Requires 020+ and OS 3.0+.

I may do 68000 version if there is enough demand, but, as my dungeons are a lot bigger than original one, they may well become too slow.

Quote:
Another thing I'd like to know is if your custom executable can be used with the original dungeon.dat and graphics.dat, to play the original dungeon.
Don't use original graphics.dat, it's not compatible. I wanted to have same graphics.dat for all dungeons, so you can safely use the one in the archive.

Besides, if you want to play original dungeon, it will not work if it's crunched (my version does not support crunched dungeons). It may as well contain a few incompatible things if unused data isn't cleared (and sometimes it's not).

To be safe, get the dungeon i've put for you in the zone. It also fixes a few bugs in the original dungeon.
Old 10 October 2011, 18:21   #222
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Requires 020+ and OS 3.0+.
Got a question: Why does it require OS3.0+?
Old 12 October 2011, 13:34   #223
Gaula92

@meynaf: I have a Minimig with plain 68000 running at about 50Mhz Maybe a 68k version would make a lot of sense for us Minimig users
Old 13 October 2011, 09:30   #224
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Got a question: Why does it require OS3.0+?
You don't read the readmes, do you ?
I'll write here too : it's mainly because of vertical screen centering. But there may be some other cases i forgot.

I admit i have used 3.x OS calls without much care in my system framework

Quote:
@meynaf: I have a Minimig with plain 68000 running at about 50Mhz Maybe a 68k version would make a lot of sense for us Minimig users
Indeed. I'll see if i can do that.
Old 16 October 2011, 20:37   #225
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
You don't read the readmes, do you ?
Probably skimmed over it too quickly.
Quote:
I'll write here too : it's mainly because of vertical screen centering. But there may be some other cases i forgot.
Centering could be optional. I've seen some AllocVec calls in your code. AllocVec is really easy to do by just allocating four bytes extra and writing the size in the extra four bytes (AOS does it this way, I think).
Quote:
I admit i have used 3.x OS calls without much care in my system framework
Did that as well, but there aren't many and I'm thinking of making it all AOS2.x+ compatible.
Old 17 October 2011, 10:41   #226
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Centering could be optional. I've seen some AllocVec calls in your code. AllocVec is really easy to do by just allocating four bytes extra and writing the size in the extra four bytes (AOS does it this way, I think).
And AllocVec is V37 (2.0).

Quote:
Did that as well, but there aren't many and I'm thinking of making it all AOS2.x+ compatible.
In fact, I *do* have OS version handling in my lib (you can set up the version you want). But, calls usually don't care

to gaula88@hotmail
Btw. if you want to play original dungeon, why not just using the regular Amiga DM game ?
Old 17 October 2011, 15:11   #227
Gaula92

@meynaf: because I find your direct AtariST port very interesting as a technical archievement, and because I'm looking for an HD-instalable version wich works in a plain 68000 with no errors. There's one, but it shows two pointers in KS 3.X systems.
Old 17 October 2011, 18:23   #228
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
And AllocVec is V37 (2.0).
Thought it was 3.0+ (looked it up and my autodocs say it's V36, see elowars doc site ).
Quote:
In fact, I *do* have OS version handling in my lib (you can set up the version you want). But, calls usually don't care
Shouldn't be much of a problem, because there's likely not many 3.0+ calls anyway (not in mine at any rate, loadrgb32 may be the only one).
Quote:
- Game loads faster (check it).
Just faster? You mean it's turbo speed now What did you do?
Quote:
- A few potential deadlocks removed.
Interesting, what kinds?

Last edited by Thorham; 19 October 2011 at 22:34.
Old 20 October 2011, 10:03   #229
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
@meynaf: because I find your direct AtariST port very interesting as a technical archievement, and because I'm looking for an HD-instalable version wich works in a plain 68000 with no errors. There's one, but it shows two pointers in KS 3.X systems.
I've had a look at non 68000 code and there's quite a lot of it. Much work, risks of adding bugs.

However if what you mainly want is an HD installable version, you may try my installer for DM Amiga 3.6 and tell me :
http://meynaf.free.fr/tmp/dm1-inst.lzx

Quote:
Thought it was 3.0+ (looked it up and my autodocs say it's V36, see elowars doc site ).
Shouldn't be much of a problem, because there's likely not many 3.0+ calls anyway (not in mine at any rate, loadrgb32 may be the only one).
I think i have to scan these... I'm using LoadRGB32, too, for example (NOT in that DM port, though).
Also a function may have bugs in lower versions.

Quote:
Just faster? You mean it's turbo speed now What did you do?
Oh, I just rewrote stupid C code into ASM...

The graphics.dat decrunch routine was very ugly. Believe me

Quote:
Interesting, what kinds?
In dungeons, parts where you could lock yourself out. I prefer to avoid these.
Old 20 October 2011, 18:10   #230
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I think i have to scan these... I'm using LoadRGB32, too, for example (NOT in that DM port, though).
LoadRGB32 is unavoidable for AGA, and if people want 2.x on their A1200 or A4000 then that's their problem (they'll be stuck with non-aga color modes and resolutions).
Quote:
Also a function may have bugs in lower versions.
And you can't trust the autodocs to document every last one of them. Certainly something to watch out for.
Quote:
Oh, I just rewrote stupid C code into ASM...

The graphics.dat decrunch routine was very ugly. Believe me
The joy of crappy code generated by old compilers. Yep, there's a lot to win there Is this also the reason why the program is so damned big?

Quote:
In dungeons, parts where you could lock yourself out. I prefer to avoid these.
I thought you meant that other kind of deadlock
Old 20 October 2011, 22:59   #231
Gaula92

@meynaf: I tried your hd-installable in dm1-inst.lzx, and it works great! But I can't save the game, it gives errors when trying to do so: it has a directory called DungeonSave, wich is empty.
Does it expect a savedisk image there? Does it expect any kind of assing?

thanks!

Last edited by Gaula92; 21 October 2011 at 02:02.
Old 24 October 2011, 09:34   #232
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
The joy of crappy code generated by old compilers. Yep, there's a lot to win there Is this also the reason why the program is so damned big?
Yes, the program is so damned big because of this. Furthermore, i'm adding a few new things that don't help

Quote:
@meynaf: I tried your hd-installable in dm1-inst.lzx, and it works great! But I can't save the game, it gives errors when trying to do so: it has a directory called DungeonSave, wich is empty.
Does it expect a savedisk image there? Does it expect any kind of assing?

thanks!
It's supposed to save in the DungeonSave directory.
Strange it doesn't work.

No assign is needed. It just must be run with correct current directory (the one where the executable resides), which should be the case when ran from WB with the pseudo-icon.

You can run Snoopdos, try to save, quit (go back to language selection), Amiga-M to see WB again, then tell me what you get.

EDIT: of course, it mustn't be run from a place that's write protected
EDIT2: DM usually gives an error message (in yellow) in its dialog box when something goes wrong. What does it say ?

Last edited by meynaf; 24 October 2011 at 09:45.
Old 24 October 2011, 17:58   #233
Gaula92

Don't worry anymore, Meynaf, it works now, saving and loading is fast as lighting!
There was something... wrong with the file permissions. I decompressed the file again in the Amiga, keeping the file permissions intact with the "a" parameter.

thanks!
Old 02 June 2012, 08:46   #234
meynaf
son of 68k

It's been a long time, but i'm back here.

I want to make a poll : if i were to add new spells, which ones would you like to see ?

I cannot add new gfx for projectiles. But i can add new potions, and spells that affect characters or objects in one way or another. Also informational spells which display some small text at the bottom of the screen, can be easily done.
You're welcome to suggest not only the spells themselves, but also their rune combination and even required skill level to cast them (range in the game is 1 to 7 ; wizard and priest each have 4 sub-levels).

I'm waiting for your proposals...
Old 02 June 2012, 11:16   #235
skan
Dream Merchant

You cannot change projectiles gfx, but can you change the existing palette at least?
Dunno, like shifting fireball colour from yellow-orange-red to blue to make an "ice ball"?

A "confusion" spell could be nice as well: you cast it on a monster and it turns around and cannot attack you for a while until the spell effect disappears.
(Gfx for this could be the same as the "open door" spell)

I always dreamt about casting spells on certain weapons (swords, daggers, ...) to add special powers.
(Let's say recharge a fireball or lightning-bolt throwing sword; add Disrupt to a Vorpal blade; add poison to daggers and arrows...)

Wouldn't it be nice to play with teleports, Portal-like? A teleport spell which generates the blue teleport cage to create temporary shortcuts and so on. As soon as one end expires, the other end expires as well.
To run away from bad situations, a random "instant teleport" spell could be nice too. You just don't know where you're headed too!

A resurrection spell would be the ultimate Archmeister Priest spell!!!

OK, back to my den now!

Last edited by skan; 02 June 2012 at 14:47.
Old 04 June 2012, 08:59   #236
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
You cannot change projectiles gfx, but can you change the existing palette at least?
Dunno, like shifting fireball colour from yellow-orange-red to blue to make an "ice ball"?
Changing the existing palette to do that, would turn any object having yellow-orange-red colors to blue. Say, if you have a gold coin, you see it as blue while you're shooting your iceball.

If what you mean is a color remap, then it's not done on projectiles and would be difficult to add, as i don't know this part well enough.

Quote:
A "confusion" spell could be nice as well: you cast it on a monster and it turns around and cannot attack you for a while until the spell effect disappears.
(Gfx for this could be the same as the "open door" spell)
You mean, the same kind of confusion spell that's available in e.g. Knightmare (IIRC) ?

Making a monster unable to attack for a while can imbalance the game if done repetitively. However, a spell that turns a monster in a random direction can be done. Is this what you want ?

Quote:
I always dreamt about casting spells on certain weapons (swords, daggers, ...) to add special powers.
(Let's say recharge a fireball or lightning-bolt throwing sword; add Disrupt to a Vorpal blade; add poison to daggers and arrows...)
Recharging an object is easy, giving them extra powers is something else ; turning an object into another object of same kind (weapon to weapon, for example) is easy.
Please describe with more details.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to play with teleports, Portal-like? A teleport spell which generates the blue teleport cage to create temporary shortcuts and so on. As soon as one end expires, the other end expires as well.
This doesn't go well with the way DM handles teleports. A teleport cannot be put everywhere ; for example, you can't put it on the same cell as a pit, even if the pit is actually closed. Worse, special things such as monster generators would cease to work if the cell was turned into a teleporter.

Only way of doing it is with same kind of object as flux cages ; see below, however, for why it's risky for gameplay.

Quote:
To run away from bad situations, a random "instant teleport" spell could be nice too. You just don't know where you're headed too!
Teleporting to a random target is usually a bad move, as you may end up in areas that you're not supposed to reach so easily.
That said, this and the previous one can be done by "marking" a destination cell with a spell, then using another spell to return here. Ambermoon does that. However, this would kill puzzles where the player is blocked and must solve the area to exit the place.

Quote:
A resurrection spell would be the ultimate Archmeister Priest spell!!!
This can be done but what's the point when you can find altars of vi for free ?

Quote:
OK, back to my den now!
Can you make a map of your den so that it turns into a dungeon ?
Old 24 August 2012, 12:52   #237
Don_Adan

Due my Amiga browser bet with Phil, I started to finish hard dungeon.
Here is/was my list of DM engine requests:

1. Add automap support.
2. Add better/more item infos.
3. Add AUTO (optional) button to the fight (useful f.e. for shoot, punch etc).
4. Add enemy infos with names, max HP, extra things: like poison, no matterial etc.
5. Change place to show hitted enemy value at the down of screen.
6. Show hit values for shooting weapon, closing door, magic usage etc.
7. Change strange arabian signs on main game screen to YA, VI, OH etc.
8. Add spell config menu, assigned spells can be released by 0-9 keys.
9. Add outro support.
10. Load game from disk menu, not only via restart.

If enough people agree, then meynaf will reconsider.
Old 24 August 2012, 13:14   #238
Marcuz

Isn't that like asking for a whole different game? Just curious.
Old 24 August 2012, 13:25   #239
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
Isn't that like asking for a whole different game? Just curious.
Seems you don't played meynaf's hard map.
Do you want to write on paper many big maps with many of hidden passages?
Most items/monsters infos is available on dmweb.free.fr, I want to integrate this to DM engine only. Anyway you can read some infos, if you call new meynaf's spells.
Old 24 August 2012, 13:43   #240
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Seems you don't played meynaf's hard map.
Neither the easier ones: I don't like Dungeon Master gameplay, but yes I like to pen large maps on paper