Still believing in Xmas miracles...
Old 01 December 2023, 22:37   #222
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardphilips View Post
Hi there, any news on this one?
Still believing in Xmas miracles...
Still working on it. Day job and other stuff gets in the way, but it's slowly coming together. Probably about 95% done.
Old 01 December 2023, 22:59   #223
ransom1122

95% done whilst you have your day job and other stuff is impressive.

Well done
Old 09 December 2023, 11:13   #224
Howardphilips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Still working on it. Day job and other stuff gets in the way, but it's slowly coming together. Probably about 95% done.
Wonderful!
Thank you for this commitment!
Old 27 December 2023, 12:34   #225
Brick Nash
Prototron

Hi folks, thought I'd give a small update on what's happening.

Last week I did some real hardware tests on my A600. The intro worked fine, and I could get to the select and loading screens. However, the game just hangs/screen goes blank when the main game loop is entered and a stuttered version of the music plays. I checked that my 2 Meg of ChipMem was being recognised in workbench and that was fine, and I tried both Gotek and real floppies, but just got the same result. I also tested other games on the machine and they worked fine too.

I've since discovered that the game only runs perfectly on older versions of WinUAE (4.3.0), which was my main testing setup when coding. Later versions of WinUAE (4.9.0 and 5.1.0) seem to glitch similarly to what the real Amiga does (screen goes blank eventually), although they do play for a bit. All use the same setup/ROM etc. matched to my real Amiga 600. Again, the intro works fine on all versions.

It maybe seems like the older emulator has been compensating for some bad code, and the more accurate it gets the more flaws are being revealed.

With this situation appearing, I'll maybe have to step away for a while as I'm now completely burned out. For the last three years I've spent every spare second on this project. Every morning, every evening, every weekend, and every holiday (even some sick days) has been ploughed into it. Also, the fact that this is still my first Amiga programming project means that every new step has been completely unknown territory, so the added burden of learning/figuring out what to do (on top of the actual implementation graft) has been incredibly time consuming.

The real Amiga test was meant to be the big reward for me. Seeing it run on actual hardware was one of the main motivators, but after no less that forty attempts in the last few days to find out what's wrong, I just don't think I have the energy to keep grinding on at the moment.

On the plus side, bar a few small bugs and animation glitches, the game is pretty much done and I think it plays quite well (going by when it works of course). Some music editing and gameplay/disk routine settings have to be finalised (enemies have low health so that I can test levels quickly), but I've played through it a fair few times. There's also a couple of surprises in there that I don't want to spoil, and that's why I've been sparse with visual updates and not making things too public.

I'm absolutely not quitting, but if I can't find out what's wrong by the end of the year then I'll have to put the project on indefinite hiatus until I get some modicum of drive back.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good new year!

Cheers!
Old 27 December 2023, 12:56   #226
trixster
Guru Meditating

Take some time off, recharge your batteries! It is not worth burning yourself out, it’ll still be there in a few months or so, and so shall we
Old 27 December 2023, 13:09   #227
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Take some time off, recharge your batteries! It is not worth burning yourself out, it’ll still be there in a few months or so, and so shall we
@Brick Nash
I totally agree with trixter... keep your time, it is hopefully just a minor bug and in any case I'm sure you'll find it sooner or later.
Enjoy the end of the year and have a wonderful 2024!
Old 27 December 2023, 13:38   #228
jotd
This cat is no more

I can help. PM me if interested.

I generally use a whdload "shell" so I track down illegal reads & writes (which are the main differences between emulators and real machines). I never have issues with the real machine that I don't have on WinUAE (except maybe sound/visual glitches, but nothing cpu-related)

Last edited by jotd; 27 December 2023 at 14:50.
Old 28 December 2023, 10:17   #229
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I can help. PM me if interested.

I generally use a whdload "shell" so I track down illegal reads & writes (which are the main differences between emulators and real machines). I never have issues with the real machine that I don't have on WinUAE (except maybe sound/visual glitches, but nothing cpu-related)
I think I'll take you up on that. Thank you.
Old 29 December 2023, 16:05   #230
d4rk3lf

@Brick Nash

First I wanna thank you for enormous time and energy you invested in this project. Many tried it, and all failed to finish it... and it's really a very hard thing to chew, especially if it's your first project.
Pauses are great, but when you overburnt with the project, the longer the pause, the harder will be to get back to it. It would be perfect if you can figure out the issue(s), AND THEN go to pause, because you will then looking forward to get back to the project, and with fresh strength, you will probably have more patience to give it more polish.

It's very comforting that jotd is willing to give you a hand, because he is awesome in these sort of stuff, and Amiga community owns him very much.
Seriously, I can't think of a better, more qualified person, to help you with that, then him.

Keep up the great work!
Old 29 December 2023, 23:02   #231
A500

I totally second what d4rk3lf said. I've been in a similar situation with a project and was stupid enough to try and just go on with it, with predictable results. No progress, complete loss of motivation, until someone else picked it up and finished the still missing 2%.
Old 31 December 2023, 11:13   #232
jotd
This cat is no more

Brick sent me his source (thanks to him for trusting me) and I found a couple (ahem ) of issues. Fixing those allows the flashing to go away. There's still work but we're on the right track!

I've been spamming him with technical e-mails so he has all the details for when he resumes work on the project. Not possible that such a great project stops because of petty bugs! (I've seen it running and it's great!)

ok break is over. back to my new arcade port ...
Old 31 December 2023, 13:31   #233
sokolovic

Great news ! Hope this project will succeed (anb maybe Jotd could have the permission to make an AGA version later hopefully . )
Old 31 December 2023, 13:47   #234
jotd
This cat is no more

I'm talking with Brick Nash about that AGA version, yes. That would be awesome to be able to pull it off.
Old 31 December 2023, 14:06   #235
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
I'm talking with Brick Nash about that AGA version, yes. That would be awesome to be able to pull it off.
oh yes ! that would be awesome !
Old 31 December 2023, 15:00   #236
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Heck yeah!! It would blow the unfinished Atari Falcon version out of the water
Old 31 December 2023, 18:47   #237
jurassicman

Quote:
Brick sent me his source (thanks to him for trusting me) and I found a couple (ahem ) of issues. Fixing those allows the flashing to go away. There's still work but we're on the right track!

I've been spamming him with technical e-mails so he has all the details for when he resumes work on the project. Not possible that such a great project stops because of petty bugs! (I've seen it running and it's great!)

ok break is over. back to my new arcade port ...
Great news, thanks!
Old 31 December 2023, 18:48   #238
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Heck yeah!! It would blow the unfinished Atari Falcon version out of the water
Unfortunately there's no Atari Falcon version but an early version of a Final Fight CPS1 emulation.
Old 04 January 2024, 10:56   #239
Brick Nash
Prototron

Another update.

A massive thank you to jotd for his incredibly generous help. The game is now running on real hardware, and I learned a few new things too.

So, it's back to just tidying things up. Although, I think I'm going to take it slowly from here on in.
Old 04 January 2024, 14:48   #240
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Awesome. Can't wait to see some preview or even a rolling/playable demo.

Keep up the great work, don't let loose all efforts you've already put into it.

Respect.