English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 August 2016, 18:23   #201
Cowcat

Thanks James.
Well, there are other (faster) new 68k ports now..... Testing now new code that wasn't included on Warpos & never ending mistake fixing.
Probably 2 binaries to test for each 68k cpu. In some hours
Old 13 August 2016, 20:27   #202
Cowcat

2 versions inside each pack to test.
"What the hell" 68k versions:

Last edited by Cowcat; 13 November 2017 at 13:27.
Old 14 August 2016, 13:52   #203
James

Tried them on WinUAE (Quarktex) and almost blinded myself... The screen was bright yellow and flickering very quickly which messed up the refresh. Had gl_ztrick enabled which caused no problems with the previous version, disabling it made everything normal again. No fog, but could never get that working on WinUAE anyway. Shadows work much better - tested with the exploding crates in Quoth.

Old version with flying shadows everywhere.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quoth_5_6_480x360.png
Views:	274
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	49405

New version - no flying shadows.

Name:	Quoth_5_7_480x360.png
Views:	257
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	49406

Tried enabling vertexarrays but was still getting artifacts with shadows enabled.

Will attempt to get it running on my 040/CV3D later, not much hope though, still haven't got any version working since that ancient beta... Wish I could afford to get my CyberstormPPC/CVPPC running again.
Old 14 August 2016, 16:47   #204
Cowcat

Quote:
Tried them on WinUAE (Quarktex) and almost blinded myself...

I never tested ztrick, just on quake2 I used it mostly for testing issues. Also didn't try WinUAE with Quarktek/Wazp3d so don't know exactly the case. My old mgl mods enabled shadows to work with vertexarrays (if not, instant hang), so probably that case isn't fully tested for Quarktex. The old blitz messed up things and put the game to crawl or in some cases doesn't do anything like if r_shadows wasn't enabled. Still a little hack in gl_drawaliasshadow function like for example:

Code:
point[0] =verts->v[0] * .....blablabla (non varrays)
to

lva->x = verts->v[0] * ....blablabla (vertexarrays PPC)
or 
lva->xi = verts->v[0] * .... (68k case)
Bear in mind that I'm on Permedia & don't know about Voodoo stuff or if some of the things done now, mess up with litfiles.

Other thing is "qp_drawfps" is now "drawfps" and -closeworkbench that I inserted in the old 5_6 source wasn't needed: "-closewb" already did.
Old 18 August 2016, 23:34   #205
jack-3d
kLiker

Testing on my A4000T (WOS + Permedia2) and it looks and works great!

Only when I start fog some of the gun polygons start to flicker or disapear. Shadows works fantastic.

Anyway its very nice port
Old 19 August 2016, 09:31   #206
Cowcat

Thanks jack !
Yep, fog do that
The next 5.8 has : Use of field of view larger than 90 with gun support, a much better third person view (chase) with camera fixes, rotating items now can "bob", etc: The classic things all other versions except Amiga, did for years.
Hope no frame rate suffers from that.
But still some days to new release.
Old 20 August 2016, 02:40   #207
nujack
Zone Friend

Any chance to get support for the iglasses? In some version it was possible to enable it but no amiga-Port is supporting this feature yet. That would be amazing to play this game with i-glasses on my A4000.
More information can be found on this page: http://www.stereo3d.com/quake.htm

Last edited by nujack; 20 August 2016 at 02:51.
Old 21 August 2016, 01:52   #208
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
The next 5.8 has : Use of field of view larger than 90 with gun support, a much better third person view (chase) with camera fixes, rotating items now can "bob", etc: The classic things all other versions except Amiga, did for years.
Hope no frame rate suffers from that.
But still some days to new release.
Sounds good!
Chase mode looks even better with an updated player model like the one made by CapnBubs.
Would the full screen status bar from Quakeworld and Hexen II be difficult to implement?
Old 21 August 2016, 14:29   #209
Cowcat

I will check those options next week, or all stuff related to Hexen with minigl/warpos, now i'm on vacation time.
The 3d glasses can be check with option lcd_x but on 5.6 blitz.
Old 09 September 2016, 12:17   #210
Cowcat

Of fog & shadows.

A weird behaviour with fog combined with vertexarrays drove me nuts for too much time, but still didn't find where is the culprit with the flickering of gun and another things: Shadows with fog don't fade with distance. Disabling vertexarrays seems to be ok with all.
The bug started to show when trying to reduce the use of strcmp or messing around to simplify those checks like:

Code:
if (!strcmp (clmodel->name, "progs/flame2.mdl") || !strcmp (clmodel->name, "progs/flame.mdl") )

now is 

if (clmodel->modhint == MOD_FLAME)
Or for example now I use

Code:
 if(clmodel->flags != MOD_NOSHADOWS  etc etc
instead of a stream of strcmp against a dozen of models to check when apply shadows or not. Now no shadows on lightbolts or nail guns as flames that already were disabled.

Even a vanilla quake+minigl source without my fix for shadows on vertexarrays (only with 68k kinda works, but with hits) showed the same problems whenever messing with new code. Maybe Alain Thellier knows something about that.

Anyways same thing happens adding fog for Quake2, so for now a simple workaround is done when gun + vertexarrays + fog are in use (Disable fog ).

Weird thing again: Using third_person view (chase_active) is not a problem with shadows fading on distance with fog.

New things: Better shadows
2 ways of use:
"r_shadows 1" + "shadowalpha" for the degree of fading towards ground (1.0 by default) but is not perfect. I use 0.7.
"r_shadows 2" uses the old hardcoded alpha (0.5) and no check for distance to ground.

"fov" now works with gun higher than 90. Of course it gets distorted so "cl_gunfov 1" option fixes that (some more calculations are done).

Much better third_person (chase_active). A combination of "fov 110" and "chase_up 45" plus "crosshair" (somewhat better that it was before) seems to be good.

And "bobitems" to see things bob & how shadows work now. The majority of these options now are saved on config.cfg file.

Last edited by Cowcat; 17 December 2017 at 18:27.
Old 10 September 2016, 00:36   #211
James

Bobitems works really well with Quake1: Arena.
Old 15 September 2016, 03:17   #212
grelbfarlk

New version looks great with FOV 110. Tested WOS version on Sonnet, an issue Hedeon and myself noticed is the machine crashes if TCP/IP is started when launching the game. This happens with 5.07 version as well. Hedeon mentions it jumps to -60(a6) with a6 being zero. So can anyone with a CSPPC try starting the WOS version with Miami or Genesis running (or roadshow, easynet, etc).
Old 15 September 2016, 10:45   #213
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

This is cool! Can't wait to try it out!.

Related to what grelbfarik says:

I can't check it at work but if -60 is Socket() then the crash is in UDP_OpenSocket. I don't know C that well, but I see declarations of SocketBas and usage of SocketBase. So maybe there lies the problem. (in net_bsdsocket.c)
Old 15 September 2016, 13:11   #214
Cowcat

Related to TCP/IP I don't know about crashes: My system doesn't have net hardware & since my first build, all networking code has been untouched. The only thing I see is that Miami can't exit after using Blitz ( Background CLI ?? ).

Related to graphics features, there's some code left inside: A half/working mirror support (r_mirroralpha), that is only used for a couple of places. Don't know if it's going to work properly, as the image is not tilted depending on the angle that you look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	49968  
Old 15 September 2016, 13:28   #215
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Could you recompile the latest version (I don't have those sources) with instances of SocketBas changed to SocketBase (in net_bsdsocket.c)?

Or I could test it this evening on the 5.6 sources, that's also an option :-)
Old 15 September 2016, 14:28   #216
Cowcat

Quote:
instances of SocketBas
I don't see those: I see Socketbase But if you want recompile 5.6, those PPC asm sources have to changed for the new vasm directives. Or wait a while for 5.8 sources.
Old 15 September 2016, 14:48   #217
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Below the includes:

struct Library *SocketBas = NULL; /* bsdsocket.library */

In UDP_Shutdown:

if (SocketBas) {
UDP_Listen (false);
UDP_CloseSocket (net_controlsocket);
CloseLibrary(SocketBas);

While in UDP_Init:

if (!(SocketBase = OpenLibrary("bsdsocket.library",SOCKETVERSION)))
return (-1);

and

CloseLibrary(SocketBase);
return (-1);
Old 15 September 2016, 14:51   #218
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Maybe I have the wrong sources? I got them from this thread :-)
Old 15 September 2016, 15:40   #219
Cowcat

F** Hell. I was looking at the original blitz source.

Yep. I think I changed those because I couldn't compile properly. It was long time ago
Old 27 September 2016, 18:04   #220
Cowcat

Full Source.

Last edited by Cowcat; 17 December 2017 at 18:27.