Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 20 January 2018, 17:02   #201
LoneWolf

Awesome! downloading and following
Old 20 January 2018, 18:34   #202
SimonV

and some more ....
Attached Files
File Type: zip bs1_36-37.zip (78.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 21 January 2018, 05:12   #203
ASM68

Quote:
Originally Posted by icycool View Post
@mai, contact me in #c= (ircnet) I have some disks to contribute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb View Post
haha, sorting out files, most of them are already with/in tosec.
fopr the rest i am making batches as i go, submitting them to tosec ppl to check them out.

nothing will be lost
Thanks to both of you!
Old 21 January 2018, 05:38   #204
ASM68

@ all
If you or even someone you know has got a collection (even small would be great, because there could be an undumped disk in it) please convert all to ADF and upload somewhere.
Do not hestitate to upload if you are unsure if it is already dumped!
Old 21 January 2018, 11:35   #205
Qube

This is a great effort, thanks to all involved!

I'm just working through some old archives myself, I'm using ADF-Workshop to convert them from DMS to ADF, and running TOSEC v2017-11-01 against them etc. to eliminate known disks.

First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc. Not matched in TOSEC from what I can tell so far. May contain a bunch of new alts [a] etc., unsure.

Should I put them in the Zone when ready, or should I put them on the FTP into an uploads folder for somebody to check over?

I also have a bunch of random LHA/LZH archives of software, plus a number of trainers & patches of which some are in DMS forma - I'll take a look at this stuff after doing the full disk images first.

This stuff may have already been seen, or stored somewhere, but I'm just asking in case they are missing from the TOSEC/official collections etc. and somebody wishes to check over them?

Cheers,

Q;
Old 21 January 2018, 11:37   #206
dirkies
Zone Friend

to the ftp uploads folder sounds like the best solution
Old 21 January 2018, 11:41   #207
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc.
that sounds interesting btw, may recover some of the lost 1987 compilation disks from my collection, due to disk corruption.
Old 21 January 2018, 11:44   #208
DamienD
Banned

So when are you doing to do your collection dirkies?
Old 21 January 2018, 11:47   #209
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
So when are you doing to do your collection dirkies?
Already done Damien
I was one of the first on this forum to release most of Boiler Room BBS, Boondocks BBS, Fortress BBS, BSA, and some more archive collections back in 2008. It was multiple gigabytes already back then.
Old 21 January 2018, 11:52   #210
DamienD
Banned

Nice one; for some reason I thought you still needed to do it.

...I've did mine also many years back and submitted to TOSEC. Well files, not disks --> files
Old 21 January 2018, 15:10   #211
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
I'm just working through some old archives myself, I'm using ADF-Workshop to convert them from DMS to ADF, and running TOSEC v2017-11-01 against them etc. to eliminate known disks.

First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc. Not matched in TOSEC from what I can tell so far. May contain a bunch of new alts [a] etc., unsure.
For preservation purposes, you lose some "metadata" going from DMS to ADF.

(I'm assuming DMS files are all you have, no original disks. Or that maybe the DMS files are scene releases?)

When creating a .DMS file, unless the user specifies the NOZERO option, DMS omits tracks which it thinks are unused from the .DMS file. E.g. if you have a normal OFS/DOS disk which is half-full with files, about 40 tracks would be marked as unused in the DOS bitmap, so DMS won't record those tracks in the .DMS file (unless you used NOZERO). Thus whatever data was on those tracks is lost.

When it comes to converting DMS files to ADF, it's up to the conversion program what data it fills blank/empty/unused tracks with. So different conversion programs could give different ADFs (i.e. checksums/hashes don't match). That could be one reason for non-matching ADFs.
Old 21 January 2018, 17:13   #212
Qube

The first set of disks I've converted are all just DMS, but I think they were just put together by someone at some point, they don't look like scene releases from their naming, certainly not the 1985-1989 stuff. I also don't know if these disks were modified before being captured into DMS by someone.

I figured ADF-Workshop was the right tool to convert these into ADF at this time under Windows, but I understand what you are saying about lost information if the user configured DMS a certain way, I guess hidden information could possibly not have been captued into the DMS file to begin with.

A load of DMS files I've converted have matched in TOSEC without any issues so those I've eliminated, it's just there are some unknown disks left over which someone may want to look at. Mix of games, compilations, some art disks, apps, random.

Q;

Edit - just checked some in ADF-Workshop, shows they used NoZero option, will note this for the converted disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
For preservation purposes, you lose some "metadata" going from DMS to ADF.

(I'm assuming DMS files are all you have, no original disks. Or that maybe the DMS files are scene releases?)

When creating a .DMS file, unless the user specifies the NOZERO option, DMS omits tracks which it thinks are unused from the .DMS file. E.g. if you have a normal OFS/DOS disk which is half-full with files, about 40 tracks would be marked as unused in the DOS bitmap, so DMS won't record those tracks in the .DMS file (unless you used NOZERO). Thus whatever data was on those tracks is lost.

When it comes to converting DMS files to ADF, it's up to the conversion program what data it fills blank/empty/unused tracks with. So different conversion programs could give different ADFs (i.e. checksums/hashes don't match). That could be one reason for non-matching ADFs.

Last edited by Qube; 21 January 2018 at 17:32.
Old 21 January 2018, 20:31   #213
SuperPlay

Just a quick post to pass on my many thanks for this great project
Old 21 January 2018, 21:26   #214
mark_k

Another not-obvious-from-filenames set of disks from part 39, again sorting by date helped to find them.
These are all part of/related to AmigaTeX:
Latex Final disk 1.adf to Latex Final disk 4.adf, ok files.adf, verscheidenes.adf, schwarz-schwarz.adf, schwarz-braun.adf, schwarz-rot.adf, schwarz-orange.adf, schwarz-gelb.adf, schwarz-grun.adf, orange-schwarz.adf, orange-braun.adf, orange-orange.adf, orange-rot.adf
Old 21 January 2018, 21:55   #215
Sinphaltimus

Just wanted to let you know that 2 of the *cleaned* files have their links broken or are missing.

Not Found
The requested URL /bs1/cleaned/BS1 part 35_clean.7z was not found on this server.

Not Found
The requested URL /bs1/cleaned/BS1 part 37_clean.7z was not found on this server.
Old 22 January 2018, 07:24   #216
Steffest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Just wanted to let you know that 2 of the *cleaned* files have their links broken or are missing.
Indeed. Thanks. Fixed!
Old 22 January 2018, 09:05   #217
NLS
Ancient User

I expected much slower progress to be honest.
Great that in a few days you are already over 50%!

I suspect the clean up will take more time.
Old 22 January 2018, 10:23   #218
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
It takes a lot of time because in some packs only 5% are Tosec known. the remaining is new disks to check and rename.
Old 22 January 2018, 13:42   #219
NLS
Ancient User

Well that's good (that only 5% is in TOSEC).
Old 22 January 2018, 14:42   #220
fryguy

Thanks for all the work, i know how boring it is to dump floppys