English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 November 2015, 17:49   #201
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
There's no way this would be running on an MSX2 this fast and this smoothly. If it runs like that on a vanilla MSX2+ it would already be a feat (It's doable, but not easy).
My friend has an MSX2 running it, and he has only 256KB I think. And it;s not a plus, but he does have the FM PAC extra (only difference between 2 and 2+ is FM-PAC as far as I remember, the VDP is the same)
Old 20 November 2015, 20:09   #202
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
My friend has an MSX2 running it, and he has only 256KB I think. And it;s not a plus, but he does have the FM PAC extra (only difference between 2 and 2+ is FM-PAC as far as I remember, the VDP is the same)
No, the VDP is not the same. The MSX2+ VDP (V9958) adds 3 new video modes, screen 10, 11 and 12 (which are similar to Amiga HAM and can display up to 19268 colors), but more importantly the V9958 has now a full hardware scrolling, both vertically and horizontally, whereas the MSX 2 VDP (V9938) had only vertical scroll registers. So seeing a scrolling that smooth makes me think the game probably runs on a MSX2+. Anyway I could be wrong since games like Psycho World or Hydefos to name a few have super smooth scrolling on a MSX2. I didn't try Super Mario Bros on my MSX2+ yet, but maybe this week-end I will give it a try.
Old 20 November 2015, 22:59   #203
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Everything said above is right

Also, 256 kb is standard for MSX2+ , not 512kb

The MSX intro on that video is the MSX2+ intro. The MSX2 intro shows the MSX logo coming from bottom to top. The intro on the video uses a feature from the MSX2+ vdp to be achieved.

While it's possible to have smooth scrolling on MSX2 (even on MSX 1 - Crusader, Rally-X and a few other game do it), I have never seen it done with so many colors (Rally-X do it because the backgrounds are single colors) and both horizontally and vertically at the same time. Stuff like this I've seen only done on MSX2+, and even then with a lot of restrictions (like in Sonyc).

Derailling the topic completely, have you guys seen the Street Fighter 2 port done for the MSX 2?
Old 20 November 2015, 23:13   #204
Amiga1992

From what I can read on this thread ( skimped it real fast), it seems to be on MSX2
http://www.msx.org/forum/development...ario-world-msx
Old 21 November 2015, 19:04   #205
Havie

Even the Speccy had this:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 December 2015, 04:27   #206
Leandro Jardim

Nice to see a game for ZX Spectrum that doesnt plays like Manic Miner or doesnt uses "dumb baddies". Its a true platform game like Super Mario Bros was.
Old 20 December 2015, 09:48   #207
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Nice to see a game for ZX Spectrum that doesnt plays like Manic Miner or doesnt uses "dumb baddies". Its a true platform game like Super Mario Bros was.
Whos to say Manic Miner isnt the true platform game? It after all came two years before SMB, its like saying a true FPS is COD!
Old 20 December 2015, 11:40   #208
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Whos to say Manic Miner isnt the true platform game? It after all came two years before SMB, its like saying a true FPS is COD!
Well said and very true
Old 20 December 2015, 17:43   #209
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
My post was deliberate. Well I know that many people consider Manic Miner as the first platform game ever, and that in many aspects was true, but they are different in many aspects. While historically Manic Miner could be dated the first platform game, Nintendo did a good job turning it indistinguishable from the original, and thats because of it, that I reckon that SMB was better.

But this is a thread for SMB fans. I like also the ZX Spectrum computer, but this is another subject.
Old 20 December 2015, 18:15   #210
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
My post was deliberate. Well I know that many people consider Manic Miner as the first platform game ever, and that in many aspects was true, but they are different in many aspects. While historically Manic Miner could be dated the first platform game, Nintendo did a good job turning it indistinguishable from the original, and thats because of it, that I reckon that SMB was better.

But this is a thread for SMB fans. I like also the ZX Spectrum computer, but this is another subject.
Its not a case of which was first or which was better, there is no such thing as a 'true platform game' despite what Nintendo fans wish it so, platform games are platform games, there's no defining a 'true' or a 'correct' type of game.
Old 20 December 2015, 18:58   #211
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Its not a case of which was first or which was better, there is no such thing as a 'true platform game' despite what Nintendo fans wish it so, platform games are platform games, there's no defining a 'true' or a 'correct' type of game.
Oh well, but that is exactly what I think too. If there are ZX Spectrum fans and Nintendo fans, and each one have their preference, lets each one think what was the best.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 21 December 2015 at 06:30.
Old 22 December 2015, 20:59   #212
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i always thought the usual consensus was that Donkey Kong was the first platform game. it's difficult to say though, some of the very earliest "platform" games evolved out of maze games, because the only way to go up and down was via ladders, so they were really just mazes with different graphics.
Old 23 December 2015, 01:42   #213
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
While it's possible to have smooth scrolling on MSX2 (even on MSX 1 - Crusader, Rally-X and a few other game do it), I have never seen it done with so many colors (Rally-X do it because the backgrounds are single colors) and both horizontally and vertically at the same time. Stuff like this I've seen only done on MSX2+, and even then with a lot of restrictions (like in Sonyc).
The game on msx2 which have a good scrolling and good graphics id hinotori (firebird)... And even a great music !!! If it was an amiga game, it could even be a good one !!! It's just my pov, perhaps you will disagree ??
If you don't know this game,
have a look: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 December 2015, 02:08   #214
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i always thought the usual consensus was that Donkey Kong was the first platform game. it's difficult to say though, some of the very earliest "platform" games evolved out of maze games, because the only way to go up and down was via ladders, so they were really just mazes with different graphics.
I recall seeing a video from hardcore gaming 101 (a site I highly recommend if you are into video games history: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net) that there had been precursors to even Donkey Kong and that things can get quite fuzzy when determining the origins of a genre as creators often tend to synthesize inspirations coming from multiple sources. Often, innovation lies only in the proper bundling of already known features.
Old 23 December 2015, 03:49   #215
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
The game on msx2 which have a good scrolling and good graphics id hinotori (firebird)... And even a great music !!! If it was an amiga game, it could even be a good one !!! It's just my pov, perhaps you will disagree ??
If you don't know this game,
have a look: [ Show youtube player ]
I do know it, it's an awesome game indeed. It deserved to be more known, it's a very solid shoot'em up with a nice "adventure" twist. It's based on a a Manga. The NES also had a game from Konami based on the same Manga, but it's a completely different game (and I much prefer the MSX game).

The scroll here is smooth because it's only vertical, and on an MSX2 The MSX2 can do smooth vertical scroll easily.. horizontal scroll it's still troublesome (it is possible, but with some compromises - Hydefos do it, but it's a game with not many colors and feels very empty most of the time). Only with the MSX2+ vdp it was easy to do smooth horizontal scroll.
Old 23 December 2015, 04:21   #216
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
I do know it, it's an awesome game indeed. It deserved to be more known, it's a very solid shoot'em up with a nice "adventure" twist. It's based on a a Manga. The NES also had a game from Konami based on the same Manga, but it's a completely different game (and I much prefer the MSX game).
Oh, nice video, thanks TurricanIII.

The graphics are NES level but they are clean and proper and there many Amiga games which have worst ones. The gameplay seems solid too although of course videos can always hide control issues. As you say Shatterhand, there seems to be an exploration aspect to it with the multiple ways to go through the same scrolling screens which I do not recall being used too much in other games (at least not the ones I played on the Amiga). This makes me want to play it.

I wonder if one could make a pure shoot-em up with this kind of loops within levels, seems a nice idea to explore.

And... sorry for prolongating the Off Topic!
Old 26 December 2015, 15:28   #217
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

@readonlycat : don't be afraid, there is no control issue with hinotori... This game is really good. You should try it even with bluemsx.
Old 10 February 2016, 00:40   #218
Retro1234
Phone Homer

After recent events id like to finish my Mario game is there anyone trustworthy and knows Amos that could come in with me, id say most of the routines are 80% writen and I should be able to load in any level, the code is quite tidy needs tidying lots of unused crap.

I only like to do a 4 level Demo.I think it could easily be finished in a year and thats not constant coding - some borring stuff and a couple of loops/routines - ive lost my motivation a bit.

You can find current videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDa...VVyz4-w20I9wbg

Last edited by Retro1234; 10 February 2016 at 00:45.
Old 10 February 2016, 12:18   #219
idrougge

Just upload the archive so people can see what it's like.
Old 10 February 2016, 13:18   #220
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Basicly if your trustworthy its not going to be that hard to pull off - what do you want to know?