English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 September 2021, 19:03   #201
jotd
This cat is no more

My advice: just post some buggy video just to show people where you are in the project. You'll update it later when it's more complete.

don't polish it, no need for it.
Old 27 September 2021, 23:05   #202
chadderack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
My advice: just post some buggy video just to show people where you are in the project. You'll update it later when it's more complete.

don't polish it, no need for it.
Something like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg7pbrkyvc...a_aha.mp4?dl=0
Old 27 September 2021, 23:50   #203
chadderack

Anyway, for those who don't like cryptic posts (...)

The project is officially underway! There's actual Black Tiger content and code!
It's a pretty modest start, and I should have a more substantial update next time. But here's someone familiar

(I realize the tiles don't really line up... they're just consecutive tiles from the actual Black Tiger data)

You can build/run the source code from here:

https://github.com/admiral68/BTA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Illustration7.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	73335  
Old 28 September 2021, 00:24   #204
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ah ! The old Fart from Black Tiger XD !

He is squeezed due to his old age, it's bad to get old ahah
Old 28 September 2021, 00:58   #205
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Maybe he can sell you something...
Old 28 September 2021, 13:01   #206
chadderack

Maybe he can.

(thought I'd make it up to the old fart by drawing him completely )

Genericizing some code... and everything is coming together pretty quickly. The tiles in this latest code come directly from the encoded (Black Tiger arcade) source--no decoded raw bitmaps here.

Already I'm thinking about the engineering challenges--especially the map tile palettes. They are often are per-tile, which probably means computing a palette that works for what is on screen at any given time.

I'm going to try to blit the Level 1 map to the screen (at least the visible part) in the next update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sell_u_something.png
Views:	422
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	73336  
Old 28 September 2021, 18:57   #207
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
So great, keep up the good work !
Old 28 September 2021, 19:06   #208
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Black Tiger is such a great game with absolutely beautiful artwork. Even the ST version should have surely been much better. Would love to see this happen

Edit: oh blimey it is. Fantastic news

Last edited by Adropac2; 28 September 2021 at 19:13.
Old 28 September 2021, 20:56   #209
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Yup, 'alea iacta est' now, sooner or later will happen ^^
Old 28 September 2021, 22:04   #210
jotd
This cat is no more

good work! I hope you're converting the data to amiga bitplane format at init and not during game, else this is going to crawl (like ST ports )

Personally I don't mind using a python script to create amiga format images beforehand so I use less asm to convert a format that is not useful as is anyway (unless you require the original ROMs to run your game)
Old 28 September 2021, 22:44   #211
chadderack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
So great, keep up the good work !
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Black Tiger is such a great game with absolutely beautiful artwork. Even the ST version should have surely been much better. Would love to see this happen

Edit: oh blimey it is. Fantastic news
Ya know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Yup, 'alea iacta est' now, sooner or later will happen ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
good work! I hope you're converting the data to amiga bitplane format at init and not during game, else this is going to crawl (like ST ports )

Personally I don't mind using a python script to create amiga format images beforehand so I use less asm to convert a format that is not useful as is anyway (unless you require the original ROMs to run your game)
Yeah it would be impossible to use the native bitplanes because the tiles themselves are 4bpp and overlaying sprites on that (which are also 4bpp) would not work.

I have a list of tiles used in each level--which is substantially less than the entire list of tiles in the bitmap... as well as the palettes used... so with some luck I should be able to narrow the palette and list of tiles down. (I use C# in place of python, but... it's just because I have my .NET tools installed and it's easy)

Here's what i have right now... I don't have "reversing" of tiles yet, so part of the level map is backwards (the right side of the screen)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	level_showing.png
Views:	409
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	73342  
Old 28 September 2021, 22:58   #212
chadderack

The Black Tiger source uses a BRG palette. Fixed.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	412
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	73343  
Old 29 September 2021, 11:36   #213
sparhawk

I Always loved to play Black Tiger on MAME. Didn't know it before, but I liked it a lot. Nowadays I rarely play on Amiga, but this might change it.

I find it also quite cool and interesting to document your progress here!
Old 29 September 2021, 14:44   #214
chadderack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I Always loved to play Black Tiger on MAME. Didn't know it before, but I liked it a lot. Nowadays I rarely play on Amiga, but this might change it.

I find it also quite cool and interesting to document your progress here!
Thank you, sparhawk! Words like these from dedicated Amiga folks are always great motivators

I got the tiles which are horizontally flipped showing correctly now.

Now, I have to display the correct portion of the dungeon map... the rightmost 4 tiles are wrong.

After that, scrolling!

(I also have to backtrack and address what jotd mentioned with Amiga bitplanes and palettes)

I think user phx (the god of Amiga and vasm) did something wonderful in Solid Gold, so I'll check that code for scrolling hints.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	364
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	73348  
Old 29 September 2021, 15:46   #215
chadderack

Now, everything is showing correctly. I was iterating poorly over the tile indexes.

Now, on to bigger and better things
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	349
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	73349  
Old 29 September 2021, 18:15   #216
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The more we delve on Black Tiger internals the more i think is a very underrated masterpiece both on game mechanics, graphic, sound and playability - is a pity that is just recognized as such by a niche of gamers
Old 29 September 2021, 18:35   #217
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
The more we delve on Black Tiger internals the more i think is a very underrated masterpiece both on game mechanics, graphic, sound and playability - is a pity that is just recognized as such by a niche of gamers
yes indeed. I've always said it deserves to be in a museum that highlights the type of all round great design these games featured. Black Tiger is especially great in all aspects as well though and I feel and games like this the reason I don't tend to bother so much with modern 2d games. Arcade games pretty much perfected the formula and although by their nature they're rather difficult, the experience of so many of these arcade games is the pinnacle of 2d

Very glad to see chadderack doing this and yes the Arcade certainly doesn't get as much mention as you'd think it should
Old 30 September 2021, 13:32   #218
chadderack

SCROLLING...

I'm currently studying both phx's source (Solid Gold) and the ScrollingTricks.lha stuff.

Originally I thought that Black Tiger would need 8-way scrolling, but it doesn't seem to. There are only a couple of cases when the screen scrolls both X and Y at the same time, and it never happens (directly) as a result of player input.

The "player" character has a virtually constant x-position on the screen (I checked this via MAME. Notice that he always is aligned above the "armor" HUD element at the bottom of the screen).

Only when jumping up does the player's y position (on screen) change AND when the screen scrolls vertically after the player lands on a platform. After landing on a platform (whether jumping/falling down or jumping up) the y scrolling happens automatically (without joystick input). I've only seen it do simultaneous X/Y scrolling in the scenario when the player is jumping down (left or right). (Of course, if a player jumps up on to a platform, the screen could scroll vertically (auto) while the player moves to the right or left... which would be more simultaneous X/Y scrolling).

When a player is climbing, you have a constant x and y position on screen, with the screen scrolling up/down.

So... I think what I'll do is simply get an "unlimited" X scroll working first and then approach scroll-Y as a separate problem. I think Y scrolling is simplified because Y only directly scrolls (based on player input) when the player is climbing.

8-way scrolling (in a way that allows a user to change directions less than 16 pixels in the Y direction) isn't needed here... so "Scrolling Tricks" should definitely be on the table.
Old 30 September 2021, 17:31   #219
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderack View Post
SCROLLING...

I'm currently studying both phx's source (Solid Gold) and the ScrollingTricks.lha stuff.

Originally I thought that Black Tiger would need 8-way scrolling, but it doesn't seem to. There are only a couple of cases when the screen scrolls both X and Y at the same time, and it never happens (directly) as a result of player input.

The "player" character has a virtually constant x-position on the screen (I checked this via MAME. Notice that he always is aligned above the "armor" HUD element at the bottom of the screen).

Only when jumping up does the player's y position (on screen) change AND when the screen scrolls vertically after the player lands on a platform. After landing on a platform (whether jumping/falling down or jumping up) the y scrolling happens automatically (without joystick input). I've only seen it do simultaneous X/Y scrolling in the scenario when the player is jumping down (left or right). (Of course, if a player jumps up on to a platform, the screen could scroll vertically (auto) while the player moves to the right or left... which would be more simultaneous X/Y scrolling).

When a player is climbing, you have a constant x and y position on screen, with the screen scrolling up/down.

So... I think what I'll do is simply get an "unlimited" X scroll working first and then approach scroll-Y as a separate problem. I think Y scrolling is simplified because Y only directly scrolls (based on player input) when the player is climbing.

8-way scrolling (in a way that allows a user to change directions less than 16 pixels in the Y direction) isn't needed here... so "Scrolling Tricks" should definitely be on the table.
having this slowly come together must be be very satisfing
Old 30 September 2021, 19:21   #220
chadderack

Video of small scrolling test here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko14vps73p..._test.mp4?dl=0

Apologies for video quality; screen capture codec wasn't fast enough to show smooth scrolling. (So, phone camera used)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
having this slowly come together must be be very satisfing
It is in a way. Still a lot of work