English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 04 March 2010, 16:01   #201
seuden
uber cool demi god

My PC is in the living room

I have printed out some tutorials as I would really like to start coding but I know she'll need "entertaining" all of a sudden if I'm doing something.
Old 04 March 2010, 17:16   #202
pmc
gone

Well, if you ever need a hand getting started coding then drop me a note and I'll try to help you out.
Old 05 March 2010, 14:19   #203
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
there are two other quirks in the blitter line draw mode you have to work out before it will draw outlines that can be filled correctly:

First, you have to normalize your lines so they are drawn either always upwards, or always downwards
Per the tutorial nature of this thread I thought I'd clarify as to what I found this means in practice just in case anyone wants to do this with their line draw code.

Taking it that in this case we want to draw all our lines upwards, you have to always make sure that y1 < y2. If not, you have to swap y1 and y2 around to force y1 < y2.

Now, *if* you have to swap y1 and y2 around, then you *also* have to swap x1 and x2 around before you draw the line. If no swapping is required you can just draw the line.

Additionally, you only need to choose between four of the eight possible line draw octants using this method as there are only four that fall in the upwards direction.

Last edited by pmc; 05 March 2010 at 16:56.
Old 06 March 2010, 16:35   #204
pmc
gone

Et voila - one filled cube.

Last edited by pmc; 03 June 2010 at 09:01.
Old 06 March 2010, 19:46   #205
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Beautiful.
Old 06 March 2010, 19:49   #206
BippyM
Global Moderator

I bow
Old 06 March 2010, 21:53   #207
pmc
gone

Thanks chaps but there's still definitely some additional work required.

Currently this runs with 3 bitplanes (8 colours max) and the blitter work required to clear the screen, draw the lines and fill the polygons means that, along with the vector calculations as they stand, there isn't very much raster time left - I couldn't make the cube much bigger for example.

Also, currently it can only draw / fill in three colours - colour 1, colour 2 and colour 4. Basically this is because, using these colours, it only has to draw lines once to each of the separate bitplanes ie. no dual drawing of lines into two or more bitplanes to get intermediate colours works at the moment.

Still much more work and probably some rewrites to do on the routine as a whole before I can get anywhere near a lightsourced cube I reckon...
Old 06 March 2010, 22:08   #208
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I'm trying to get my mind around the chipset atm, and I can't see the problem with more than three colors. (Probably because I don't understand the matter.)

I mean, an opaque cube can show 4 sides max at one point in time. Can't you compute the shade (by the normal's angle to "lightsource", no funky phong stuff, just one color per side), write it to the first four color register and that's all?

EDIT: Ok, not the first four color register but 1,2,4,8.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 06 March 2010 at 22:13.
Old 06 March 2010, 22:57   #209
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh
I'm trying to get my mind around the chipset atm
Why...? Gonna start making demos...?

Quote:
Can't you compute the shade (by the normal's angle to "lightsource", no funky phong stuff, just one color per side), write it to the first four color register and that's all?
Yep, you certainly compute the colours like that for simple lightsourcing - that's the way I intend to do it anyway - compute colours, write to regs, draw faces & fill.

However to draw an "in between" colour (col 3, 5, 6 or 7) in a three bitplane display you have to write the same lines into two or more bitplanes which obviously takes more time than just writing the lines to one bitplane.

Also, using the blitter to clear the screen and fill the polygons takes more and more time the more bitplanes it's doing this for.

That's what I was getting at in regards to rewrites and additional work to do - I was more thinking in terms of gaining speed and therefore time available to do more on the screen at once other than just the cube. I'm always thinking in terms of demos you see.
Old 06 March 2010, 23:42   #210
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Why...? Gonna start making demos...?
Maybe a little microdemo someday. Right now I'm learning how the chipset works and write it down in the wiki. The Wiki would benefit from your knowledge, btw.

Quote:
However to draw an "in between" colour (col 3, 5, 6 or 7) in a three bitplane display you have to write the same lines into two or more bitplanes which obviously takes more time than just writing the lines to one bitplane.

Also, using the blitter to clear the screen and fill the polygons takes more and more time the more bitplanes it's doing this for.
As far as I understand it, the palette can have empy spaces. Therefore you can do something like this:
  1. clear screen
  2. compute colors c1,...,c4
  3. set registers COLOR01:=c1, COLOR02:=c2, COLOR04:=c3, COLOR08:=c4
  4. start blitter to paint cube, using only COLOR01, COLOR02, COLOR04, COLOR08
Of course you sacrifice memory for speed by that. Then each bitplane controls one and only one color. Right?
Old 07 March 2010, 11:50   #211
pmc
gone

Quote:
Maybe a little microdemo someday.
\o/

Quote:
Right now I'm learning how the chipset works and write it down in the wiki. The Wiki would benefit from your knowledge, btw.
I know this is gonna sound dumb but: what wiki...?

I'm sure there's guys here (StingRay, Leffman etc.) who are much better qualified to give you worthy insights but anything I can give, you're more than welcome.

Quote:
As far as I understand it, the palette can have empy spaces. Therefore you can do something like this:
  1. clear screen
Of course you sacrifice memory for speed by that. Then each bitplane controls one and only one color. Right?
Exactly correct.

Looks to me like you think in exactly the right way to do some nice code - I'm looking forward to your first demo!

That's step by step what I'm gonna add to the filled cube routine next so it becomes a lightsourced filled cube routine. Hopefully I can post the working result here soon.
Old 07 March 2010, 12:21   #212
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Currently this runs with 3 bitplanes (8 colours max) and the blitter work required to clear the screen, draw the lines and fill the polygons means that, along with the vector calculations as they stand, there isn't very much raster time left - I couldn't make the cube much bigger for example.
Some obvious speed up tips:

- store min/max values of your object (can be done in your line drawer or in some little extra routine) to create a "bounding box", that way never have to clear/fill the whole screen

- use interleaved bitplanes so you can fill/clear several bitplanes with one blitter start

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post

1. clear screen
While this is correct you will need an additional bitplane. Not always what you want.
Old 07 March 2010, 15:27   #213
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
store min/max values of your object (can be done in your line drawer or in some little extra routine) to create a "bounding box", that way never have to clear/fill the whole screen
Kind of along these lines I manually set my clear and fill blits to only clear / fill the parts of the bitplanes that contain the cube.

Quote:
use interleaved bitplanes so you can fill/clear several bitplanes with one blitter start
Probably me being stupid again but how do you mean interleaved bitplanes?

Quote:
While this is correct you will need an additional bitplane. Not always what you want.
I agree, I don't want to add another bitplane - in fact I probably couldn't speed wise.

Besides, I'm not sure I really need a fourth separate colour - my cube only ever shows three sides maximum at any one time so three colour regs should be fine for my needs and I'm already using three bitplanes.
Old 07 March 2010, 15:31   #214
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
what wiki...?
Read what happens to people who don't know about the wiki...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51243

from #28 onward
Old 08 March 2010, 12:17   #215
WayneK

pmc: interleaved bitplanes are just using your screen buffer as:
<screenwidth pixels of bitplane 0>
<screenwidth pixels of bitplane 1>
<etc.>

This way you just adjust your modulo values and you can write to them as if they were 'normal', but you get the advantage of being able to clear with only 1 blitter start (as Sting said). Also good for blitting multicolour bobs etc. quickly... multiple uses
Old 08 March 2010, 13:01   #216
pmc
gone

Ah, OK. Makes sense. Thanks WayneK.

Now that I've done a few things with wireframe vectors I definitely need to rewrite my vectors routines so they're more suited to filled stuff.

From what I've discovered so far they need to be better optimised to gain as much speed as possible for the additional work required and I also need to add extra functionality, for example clipping so I can move things around the screen and stuff.

Now just need to get to feel like I can be bothered to actually do it.

While I'm here though I might as well ask another question:

All this stuff so far has been fine for convex vectors, but what about concave (sometimes called inconvex - usually in Anarchy demos ) vectors?

I take it some kind of sorting / painter algorithm is needed that draws things that are further away first and then overwrites them with things that are closer?
Old 08 March 2010, 17:56   #217
pmc
gone

Well chaps, check the attached Amiga executable for a light sourced filled cube.

The code for this one is a complete and utter ugly hack but it works and in doing it I've learned some interesting things.

So, does this mean I'm 1337 now then Stinger...?

Last edited by pmc; 03 June 2010 at 09:01.
Old 08 March 2010, 21:30   #218
gilgamesh
Linux snob

What? I could watch this on end! Great work

I don't know if z-buffer is possible on an Amiga. So I looked for examples and thought of "Alone in the Dark" to be the first. This lead me to Alpha Waves (Matt Barton mentioned it...) and know what? The whole source code for 68k assembler is on the net.
Video & Discussion
Source
Old 08 March 2010, 21:49   #219
pmc
gone

What's z-buffer...?

I'm too lazy to spend any proper time or effort understanding other people's sources - trying to work out what they've done with their data and why they're manipulating it this way or that way. Too boring. I'd rather try coding it myself! \o/
Old 08 March 2010, 22:27   #220
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
So, does this mean I'm 1337 now then Stinger...?
Lightsourced vector cube == you're an official elite coder now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
I don't know if z-buffer is possible on an Amiga.
If you understand how z-buffer works you'll realize that Z-Buffer is possible on Amiga but you don't want to do it on 68000.

Quote:
What's z-buffer...?
It's a very simple algorithm to draw correctly sorted objects. You store the z-values of the objects in a buffer (the z-buffer). For each(!) pixel you compare the value in the z-buffer with the actual z-value of your object and draw the pixel if act-z<z-buffer. Very simple to do and very slow (in software anyway) which is why it's not suitable for 68000 (and obviously it only works in chunky mode).

Attached is the source of my old z-buffered texture mapper, reading the source should make it very easy to understand how z-buffering works (and why it is slow).
Attached Files
File Type: s POLY_TEXTUREMAPPED_ZBUFFER_NEW.s (15.0 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by StingRay; 08 March 2010 at 22:36.