English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2023, 12:17   #201
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Just my 2 cents...

a central portal including all beginners informations might make sense if you want to interest new users outside of the community and give them all important informations in one place, under one brand after f.e. attending events.
Hang on, I dearly miss the kind of curated collection of links which were a staple of the early 2000's Internet.

On the one hand, we have this multitude of forums, web sites, blogs, projects which are not attached to any central hub or organization, but on the other hand, it is difficult to find something which would be helpful for you or spark your interest.

Granted, those curated collections were bound to suffer from link rot over time, but it seems to me we lost something by leaving the task of finding and indexing this information to the search engines. For one thing, we have so much legacy data and information stuck in legacy file and container formats (LhA archives) which are no longer being scanned and indexed.

I keep learning about projects such as the handful of native/cross gcc compilers and build environments again and again and then forget about which one I looked at the last time. Collecting this information and presenting it in an organized form would be really helpful.

Small things matter.
Old 09 June 2023, 14:04   #202
a_crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Hang on, I dearly miss the kind of curated collection of links which were a staple of the early 2000's Internet.

On the one hand, we have this multitude of forums, web sites, blogs, projects which are not attached to any central hub or organization, but on the other hand, it is difficult to find something which would be helpful for you or spark your interest.

Granted, those curated collections were bound to suffer from link rot over time, but it seems to me we lost something by leaving the task of finding and indexing this information to the search engines. For one thing, we have so much legacy data and information stuck in legacy file and container formats (LhA archives) which are no longer being scanned and indexed.

I keep learning about projects such as the handful of native/cross gcc compilers and build environments again and again and then forget about which one I looked at the last time. Collecting this information and presenting it in an organized form would be really helpful.

Small things matter.

Absolutely true, but it should be a grassroots effort just like it was back then. Paywalling it is an obnoxious and exclusionary idea.
Old 09 June 2023, 14:47   #203
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Some of them have and he's dismissed them, others who are his "yes men and women" have just blindly followed the project like Lemmings off a cliff.
This has to be the truest Amiga fan response to a questionable scheme, Lemmings! I doff my hat to you!

@BippyM Yeah, very true & understandable mate! Usually try to pop in at least once or twice a Blue Moon,but not usually lucky enough to see too many of the old "class",in & around my joining up! Nice to relive of memories & threads though!
Seeing this blow up on my retro timeline on twitter just had to bring me back & give my two cents worth! Have to do a double take when I see the likes of ps2 or ps3 & "retro" in the same sentence on the socials now!!
Old 09 June 2023, 15:47   #204
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_crow View Post
Absolutely true, but it should be a grassroots effort just like it was back then. Paywalling it is an obnoxious and exclusionary idea.
Indeed, the core idea I outlined only works well if it is free to use and free to contribute to. I reckon you could start this off with a single web server running MediaWiki and build from there until (maybe) you need a more powerful front-end. That would be "cheap" to bootstrap.

The question behind filling such a "hub site" with curated content would be something along the lines of "which Amiga project/forum/blog/archive/web site do you know well and wish were better known?". What is interesting, new, old and still relevant or just overlooked and would deserve better. Ask your friends, and, if you know them, ask your favourite Amiga developer.

Such a project would need editorial oversight (no curation without that) and steady maintenance. If you could build it, it might never make money, but it might fill a gap. That kind of Amiga web site has existed for decades.

Please: steal this idea
Old 09 June 2023, 16:40   #205
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
MAYBE.. and this is just a thought.. but maybe they simply does not have the heart to tell him "ehh. sorry but no"

being quiet is not the same as thinking "this is fine" it can also be dissaproval.
That's what I think happened, too.

David presented his idea to user groups, shows, and a core group of friends. Many people would nod along politely in-person, particularly given his history at Commodore. (Or, honestly, his age.)

Then the Kickstarter rubber hits the road and a wave of negative opinion arises. It would understandably look to him as though a concerted group of trolls had come out of the woodwork. Not at all like those nice people he met before.
Old 09 June 2023, 17:28   #206
Bren McGuire

nobody charged you money for those mate. also they didnt pass it off as an exclusionary venture, "be here or you dont exist!"

Quote:
Old 09 June 2023, 18:13   #207
Dunny

Quote:
Do YOU have nostalgia for the early 2000s where you were nostalgic for the 90s? Then do WE have a kickstarter for YOU!
Old 09 June 2023, 21:13   #208
mcgeezer

I just wanted to give back to the community here with a little life hack that I swear by every day. Let me know if it helps anyone out, I've given a bit of a current Amiga affairs example to illustrate it's effectiveness too.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2023, 23:54   #209
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
I just wanted to give back to the community here with a little life hack that I swear by every day. Let me know if it helps anyone out, I've given a bit of a current Amiga affairs example to illustrate it's effectiveness too.

[ Show youtube player ]
Lol I was briefly expecting a lesson in 3d coordinate systems but this is much better
Old 10 June 2023, 05:38   #210
d4rk3lf

Quote:
I just wanted to give back to the community here with a little life hack that I swear by every day.
You should make a kickstart to create an app that will draw that graph on screen.
And another kickstart for numbers on graph that goes beyond 10.
Old 10 June 2023, 05:44   #211
grelbfarlk

Yeah WTF is this, that's what like not even as good as 4-bit computing? Buy some more pixels for your graph.
Old 10 June 2023, 06:18   #212
Pyromania

Somebody already got their IT certification for this.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/041...lossless=true&
Old 10 June 2023, 08:32   #213
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Do YOU have nostalgia for the early 2000s where you were nostalgic for the 90s? Then do WE have a kickstarter for YOU!
Nostalgia does not suit me with things Amiga, given how, over time, we got this small computer revolution enabled by it, then the company which produced the Amiga practically abandoned it, went under and the culture and the community which grew around the Amiga settled in.

There's the great, there's the good and there are the disappointments. Writing as somebody who usually does not have the most sunny view on anything, I view the Amiga history as not a tragedy, but as an unsteady contiguous improvement. Could have gone better, for sure, but what makes the difference is not the hardware and what it could have enabled, but the people who grew up with and around it. Who needs nostalgia? When have things ever been like we think they used to be.

The point I was trying to make is that today's Internet has changed so much from the early days, in which curated content was the norm (because we did not have search engines yet), that information which is not as structured and ready-made for automated consumption and indexing will fall short for content that currently is available for the Amiga. Our online forums, web sites and archives are still there, but indexing their content is shallow at best. If there has to be better access, it would have to come from what, by necessity, used to work: curating content.
Old 10 June 2023, 09:00   #214
modrobert
old bearded fool

Except for the outdated "Hollywood" ideas of mainstream branding fame, the community David Pleasance talks about is already here at EAB and its supporting sites, no paid subscription required, just join and have fun.
Old 10 June 2023, 09:08   #215
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Somebody already got their IT certification for this.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/041...lossless=true&
"403 Forbidden"
Old 10 June 2023, 12:16   #216
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Except for the outdated "Hollywood" ideas of mainstream branding fame, the community David Pleasance talks about is already here at EAB and its supporting sites, no paid subscription required, just join and have fun.
Someone even made a link collection within a day to prove a point.
Old 10 June 2023, 12:23   #217
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
He fixed the order (also looks a bit neater now )
Old 10 June 2023, 12:42   #218
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I guess we've got to pay the £1500 he deserves. Also what was the annual fee on top of that again?
Old 10 June 2023, 13:26   #219
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Now that was quick!
Old 10 June 2023, 13:34   #220
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I guess we've got to pay the £1500 he deserves. Also what was the annual fee on top of that again?
I think it was £15,000

They lost another backer btw.