English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 August 2011, 19:50   #201
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
This is problematic, yes.
It actually doesn't matter that much, because the game uses randomized values. Sometimes a character gains a few points more than the average and sometimes less, so you'll never get the exact values anyway, because they fluctuate. So defaulting to gaining a point less isn't a problem.

Unless the game would have used fixed point to begin with, it's impossible to get this to be completely fair. However, using this method is a lot more fair than it's now.
Quote:
I mean opening "the" door located next to the wall message speaking about the training rooms.
Why am I not surprised
Quote:
Because i designed enough levels without ever needing something like that.
Have you ever tried to come up with anything good?
Quote:
Because i played Hired Guns 'til the end and not found any good puzzle idea needing this. Because many 3D attempts have been done and all failed.
Just because people have failed doesn't mean it's impossible
Quote:
Now, why are you so sure about the reverse ?
I'm just saying it opens up possibilities. That such a feature is perhaps not so easy to use properly just means having to try harder. Good level design already isn't all that straightforward, and the more options you have, the harder it becomes when you actually want to use all those features.
Quote:
Lack of editor is good excuse, but you can write maps on paper.
Not me. I want to use computers for that.
Old 08 August 2011, 10:26   #202
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It actually doesn't matter that much, because the game uses randomized values. Sometimes a character gains a few points more than the average and sometimes less, so you'll never get the exact values anyway, because they fluctuate. So defaulting to gaining a point less isn't a problem.

Unless the game would have used fixed point to begin with, it's impossible to get this to be completely fair. However, using this method is a lot more fair than it's now.
Well, perhaps it's indeed not possible to be as fair as i wished. Now let's see how your motivation is, by the challenge below

Quote:
Why am I not surprised
I think i've been clear enough when explaining it. Anyway, just reaching that door without opening it, is way too easy (especially because there are several ways to do so !).
It's the challenge, man.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to come up with anything good?
What do you mean, that i always came up with everything bad ???

Quote:
Just because people have failed doesn't mean it's impossible
Sure, but it's starting to mean that it's perhaps not a smart thing to do.

Quote:
I'm just saying it opens up possibilities. That such a feature is perhaps not so easy to use properly just means having to try harder. Good level design already isn't all that straightforward, and the more options you have, the harder it becomes when you actually want to use all those features.
And what if i'm just saying it opens up nothing at all ?
You're not even giving a single example where this can be useful !

Quote:
Not me. I want to use computers for that.
Then use some paint program
Old 08 August 2011, 19:02   #203
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Well, perhaps it's indeed not possible to be as fair as i wished. Now let's see how your motivation is, by the challenge below
No, it's not, but it's a lot more fair than the current system. Also, the current system can be exploited somewhat by saving just before a level up, and reloading if you gain bad bonuses (yes, some people do this). With non-random systems this is impossible.

As for the challenge, sure, I'll try
Quote:
I think i've been clear enough when explaining it. Anyway, just reaching that door without opening it, is way too easy (especially because there are several ways to do so !).
It's the challenge, man.
Yeah, didn't interpret it correct
Quote:
What do you mean, that i always came up with everything bad ???
No, I mean have you tried to come up with some interesting 3D stuff?
Quote:
Sure, but it's starting to mean that it's perhaps not a smart thing to do.
But why is it not smart? If no one ever tried difficult things, we'd still be stuck in the stone age
Quote:
And what if i'm just saying it opens up nothing at all ?
To me, it couldn't hurt. It can at the very least enable the creation of more interesting environments.
Quote:
You're not even giving a single example where this can be useful !
No, I'm not. Thing is, I'd like to just jump in and try things. Come up with ideas as I'm using such features.

It's all about flexibility, and the more the better, but as said this can make it harder to make anything good... which I don't think is a bad thing.
Quote:
Then use some paint program
Old 11 August 2011, 09:33   #204
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
No, it's not, but it's a lot more fair than the current system. Also, the current system can be exploited somewhat by saving just before a level up, and reloading if you gain bad bonuses (yes, some people do this). With non-random systems this is impossible.
Yes, the save'n'reload exploit problem. Didn't think about it. Well, ok. But you still have to do the challenge

Quote:
As for the challenge, sure, I'll try
Good. If successful, just gimme the saved game. Then, next release will contain non-random level gains !

Quote:
No, I mean have you tried to come up with some interesting 3D stuff?
I can't see any interesting 3D stuff. Anyway while designing levels, i'm not thinking "how could i use this feature" but "what features do i need".

Quote:
But why is it not smart? If no one ever tried difficult things, we'd still be stuck in the stone age
For me it's not interesting. It's just graphical.

Quote:
To me, it couldn't hurt. It can at the very least enable the creation of more interesting environments.
You may want to write an editor, then

Quote:
No, I'm not. Thing is, I'd like to just jump in and try things. Come up with ideas as I'm using such features.

It's all about flexibility, and the more the better, but as said this can make it harder to make anything good... which I don't think is a bad thing.
I fail to see any added flexibility here.
Old 11 August 2011, 14:43   #205
meynaf
son of 68k

Another thing...

I've seen that some custom dungeons (on dmweb.free.fr, for example) provide graphics.dat containing bag object, like DM2. But chest weight is 5 KG and custom graphics file cannot change this, so a bag weighting this much is a little bit too heavy, right ?
DM2's bag is 0.7 KG and DM2 supports both chest and bag. This is what i did for my DM. I now have another significant edge over Csbwin

But i noticed that DM2's chest is 5.6 KG, not 5.0 KG like DM1.
Unlike DM1, there aren't many chests in DM2. So i kept DM1's weight.
However i'm asking here : what would you do, facing that problem ?
Old 11 August 2011, 21:50   #206
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Yes, the save'n'reload exploit problem. Didn't think about it. Well, ok. But you still have to do the challenge
Okay then, seems fair enough.
Quote:
I can't see any interesting 3D stuff. Anyway while designing levels, i'm not thinking "how could i use this feature" but "what features do i need".
It can work both ways Anyway, I'm not going to try and come up with an example, because I can't use 3D anyway, and your port doesn't need 3D. As I said, 3D is nice to add when you're writing an engine from scratch.
Quote:
You may want to write an editor, then
I don't know about that... I'm writing a new system frame, though. My old one sucked badly, and I'm doing this one with the aid of the RKRM (which showed me all kinds of things I didn't know and enables me to do everything properly). Shouldn't be too hard once finished (getting close).
Quote:
I fail to see any added flexibility here.
It adds possibilities, especially when adding other features as well.
Quote:
But i noticed that DM2's chest is 5.6 KG, not 5.0 KG like DM1.
Unlike DM1, there aren't many chests in DM2. So i kept DM1's weight.
However i'm asking here : what would you do, facing that problem ?
Either one is fine, but I'd go for 5.6 simply to give the player a (very) small disadvantage.
Old 15 August 2011, 14:12   #207
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
It can work both ways Anyway, I'm not going to try and come up with an example, because I can't use 3D anyway, and your port doesn't need 3D. As I said, 3D is nice to add when you're writing an engine from scratch.
Well, end of story then.

Quote:
I don't know about that... I'm writing a new system frame, though. My old one sucked badly, and I'm doing this one with the aid of the RKRM (which showed me all kinds of things I didn't know and enables me to do everything properly). Shouldn't be too hard once finished (getting close).
Let's see what you can come up with

Quote:
It adds possibilities, especially when adding other features as well.
Please name some of these possibilities 'coz i don't see them...

Quote:
Either one is fine, but I'd go for 5.6 simply to give the player a (very) small disadvantage.
Strange, i would go for 5.0 to give DM2 player a very small advantage...

It's not difficult to change anyway, but altering it could mess older saves up so i won't touch it for now.
Old 15 August 2011, 18:30   #208
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Well, end of story then.
Indeed Or...
Quote:
Let's see what you can come up with
The basis of the frame is almost complete, and I'm just ironing out loose ends and doing the necessary debugging. After that I'll add some more useful features and make a proper library out of it. Not really a lot of work left to do By the way, the RKRM is truly enlightening. I can't believe I wrote my previous frame without it That and not reading the autodocs more carefully
Quote:
Please name some of these possibilities 'coz i don't see them...
It allows you to make puzzles that require you having to look at the environment in a way that's not possible with 2D. It also allows for more interesting dungeon layouts as a whole (you may see where you have to go from several levels up/down, but how to get there?).
Quote:
Strange, i would go for 5.0 to give DM2 player a very small advantage...
My reasoning is this: If you want to change something which can slightly change the balance in either the game's or the player's favor, then it's probably best to balance in the game's favor, just to be sure.

If the change causes a not so small balance change, then it's perhaps better not to change that particular thing.
Quote:
It's not difficult to change anyway, but altering it could mess older saves up so i won't touch it for now.
Good reason, but why might it do this?
Old 18 August 2011, 11:12   #209
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
The basis of the frame is almost complete, and I'm just ironing out loose ends and doing the necessary debugging. After that I'll add some more useful features and make a proper library out of it. Not really a lot of work left to do By the way, the RKRM is truly enlightening. I can't believe I wrote my previous frame without it That and not reading the autodocs more carefully
Coding with some docs is indeed easier

Quote:
It allows you to make puzzles that require you having to look at the environment in a way that's not possible with 2D. It also allows for more interesting dungeon layouts as a whole (you may see where you have to go from several levels up/down, but how to get there?).
Looks like a different kind of game to me.

Quote:
My reasoning is this: If you want to change something which can slightly change the balance in either the game's or the player's favor, then it's probably best to balance in the game's favor, just to be sure.

If the change causes a not so small balance change, then it's perhaps better not to change that particular thing.
In short : better raise the difficulty level than lower it ?

Quote:
Good reason, but why might it do this?
Get a chest. You get 5.0 kg load. Save.
Reload with new version. You load is 5.0 (it's not recomputed).
Now remove the chest : 5.6 kg less - your load becomes negative.
Old 22 August 2011, 18:47   #210
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Coding with some docs is indeed easier
Not only that, but coding without the complete docs is just downright dangerous.
Quote:
Looks like a different kind of game to me.
Doesn't have to be. Think DM2 with more varied environments.
Quote:
In short : better raise the difficulty level than lower it ?
Yes, but only if it's a little bit, otherwise leave it unchanged or be prepared to do a lot of play testing.
Quote:
Get a chest. You get 5.0 kg load. Save.
Reload with new version. You load is 5.0 (it's not recomputed).
Now remove the chest : 5.6 kg less - your load becomes negative.
Yeah, that's a bad one for sure. I wonder why it does this?
Old 25 August 2011, 10:33   #211
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Not only that, but coding without the complete docs is just downright dangerous.
It's kinda "experimental" coding

Quote:
Doesn't have to be. Think DM2 with more varied environments.
DM2 isn't much more 3D than DM1, so what kind of environments there ?

Quote:
Yes, but only if it's a little bit, otherwise leave it unchanged or be prepared to do a lot of play testing.
I think i already have enough play testing to do...

Quote:
Yeah, that's a bad one for sure. I wonder why it does this?
I guess it was simpler & faster.
Old 28 August 2011, 20:37   #212
Thorham
Computer Nerd

I have a problem with your nightmare dungeon, something that didn't happen before and I don't know what I did to cause it. The game generates the following message and then quits: type de timer inconnu. Any idea?

Quote:
It's kinda "experimental" coding
Perhaps, but it sucks when you think you're doing it right.
Quote:
DM2 isn't much more 3D than DM1, so what kind of environments there ?
Yes, but environments can be enriched by 3D (some types of environment just aren't flat). In my opinion, Hired Guns does a reasonable job here (from what I've see so far). Anyway, it would be nice to have, but it's obviously not essential
Quote:
I guess it was simpler & faster.
They could have just added a weight field to the chest data. There aren't that many chests, and each one would only need an extra byte. Couldn't be easier.
Old 29 August 2011, 08:59   #213
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I have a problem with your nightmare dungeon, something that didn't happen before and I don't know what I did to cause it. The game generates the following message and then quits: type de timer inconnu. Any idea?
Apparently you're using old saved game with newer program.
Either use old program which made that save, or restart the game with new program.
Alternatively if these aren't satisfying for you, i can somehow convert your save (if you give it to me).

Quote:
Yes, but environments can be enriched by 3D (some types of environment just aren't flat). In my opinion, Hired Guns does a reasonable job here (from what I've see so far). Anyway, it would be nice to have, but it's obviously not essential
Frankly I found Hired Guns to have less playability than DM, and got bored after having finished it.

Quote:
They could have just added a weight field to the chest data. There aren't that many chests, and each one would only need an extra byte. Couldn't be easier.
Couldn't be easier, but not much logical if different weighted chests have exact same gfx.
Old 31 August 2011, 17:53   #214
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Apparently you're using old saved game with newer program.
Either use old program which made that save, or restart the game with new program.
Alternatively if these aren't satisfying for you, i can somehow convert your save (if you give it to me).
Okay, I'll use a previous version then. I think there were only some bug fixes that don't affect me (I'll check the thread to make sure).
Quote:
Frankly I found Hired Guns to have less playability than DM, and got bored after having finished it.
Perhaps it does I think that ultimately this 3D business is a matter of preference.
Quote:
Couldn't be easier, but not much logical if different weighted chests have exact same gfx.
To me it's better to implement it in a more flexible way when it's easy and doesn't use up many resources (in this case the extra memory required is minuscule).
Old 01 September 2011, 10:26   #215
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Okay, I'll use a previous version then. I think there were only some bug fixes that don't affect me (I'll check the thread to make sure).
Problem solved then.

Quote:
Perhaps it does I think that ultimately this 3D business is a matter of preference.
Anyway this is DM thread and DM's not designed like that.

Quote:
To me it's better to implement it in a more flexible way when it's easy and doesn't use up many resources (in this case the extra memory required is minuscule).
Object descriptors aren't very big either. But the player would certainly not like having apparently identical chests, which only differ by their weight !
(at least as a player i certainly wouldn't like that)
Old 05 September 2011, 19:34   #216
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Object descriptors aren't very big either. But the player would certainly not like having apparently identical chests, which only differ by their weight !
(at least as a player i certainly wouldn't like that)
Valid point, but it shouldn't be to hard to add a few different chests. Or better, have the bags from DM2 be a chest type. There could be a portable container descriptor specifying the container graphics, weight and the number of items that can fit inside the container.
Old 08 September 2011, 08:33   #217
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Valid point, but it shouldn't be to hard to add a few different chests. Or better, have the bags from DM2 be a chest type. There could be a portable container descriptor specifying the container graphics, weight and the number of items that can fit inside the container.
The bags from DM2 ARE a chest type, like healing potions are a potion type.

About the container graphics, it's like other objects in inventory or 3d view, apart you have the interface in inventory to put the objects in/out of the chest. This one makes things much more complex due you have to keep coordinate list of these cells and the whole game is hardwired to have only 8 slots.
Old 03 October 2011, 09:29   #218
meynaf
son of 68k

New release !

Changes this time :
- No longer any broken exit (but i will put bad stairs back if nobody plays ).
- A few levels and puzzles added here and there.
- Dungeon #1 contains some new bones (will you find yours ?).
- Clicking on letters (when renaming champions) now works (an old one, that is).
- Game loads faster (check it).
- A few potential deadlocks removed.
- Some cleanup and minor cosmetic changes.
- Script added to make dungeon copying automatic (just run the "run-it.script" of the relevant directory).
- Dungeons have been given names.

As a recall, grab the thing there :
http://meynaf.free.fr/tmp/customdungeons.lzx
... and use option "x" of lzx to extract, not "e".

As another recall, please don't mix files of different versions. I would care about compatibility if there were enough players, but...
Old 06 October 2011, 15:20   #219
Gaula92

@meynaf: I can't find this info anywhere, so I'm asking... Is your version working on plain 68000 Amigas? I have a Minimig with 4MB RAM and it doesn't work (goes back to the OS with an error).
Another thing I'd like to know is if your custom executable can be used with the original dungeon.dat and graphics.dat, to play the original dungeon.
Old 06 October 2011, 17:53   #220
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Is your version working on plain 68000
No, it needs at least a 68020 and Kickstart 3.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Another thing I'd like to know is if your custom executable can be used with the original dungeon.dat and graphics.dat, to play the original dungeon.
Yes, it works with the original dungeon.dat file. I don't think the original graphics.dat file is needed, though (the new graphics.dat file should contain all the original data as well as some additions, but I'm not to sure about the details).