English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Demo DVD

Old 22 February 2004, 16:44   #201
Pfloyd

Hi,

as I have enough harddisk space now, I'm trying capturing various emulation stuff, such as Amiga demos/intros.

I want to convert them to MPEG2 (DVD) and play them on my PAL TV, so I think encoding in MPEG2-interlaced will give the best results.

I use WinUAE and capture at 704x288 resolution (lines NOT doubled) using the HuffYuv codec.
As WinUAE captures@50fps, I treat each frame as one interlace field (that's why I don't use line doubling)

AVISynth's weave function then converts the 50fps AVI File to 25fps interlaced, the vertical resolution doubles to 576.

This procedure is necessary for preserving animation/scrolling smoothness.
If you leave out every 2nd frame the animation/scrolling won't be so smooth. If you blend 2 frames the animation will be (slightly) blurred.

I open the AVISynth script in VirtualDub, do some centering, and start the frameserver.

Then I use TMPGenc (connecting to the frameserver) to create separate Audio/Video elementary streams for the DVD authoring software.

"Desert Dreams" (14 minutes) is finally compressed to a 465MB MPG file (variable bitrate, 7600 maximum). I did not play around with different bitrates yet, but this file looks pretty good (as if coming from the real machine).

Edit: The WinUAE release .25 doesn't allow me to choose the HuffYuv codec. Why?

Last edited by Pfloyd; 22 February 2004 at 17:17.
Old 22 February 2004, 18:33   #202
BippyM
Global Moderator

@Pfloyd

I toyed with the idea of doing interlace, and keeping 50fps for smoothness, but too put it simply, when watching these on a DVD & 352x288 (Which is nearer the Amiga's native lo-res resolution) the demo's look awesome..

Ask Killergorilla as i sent him a preview!

Antiriad: I think Dasts idea of the kick 1.3 hand is a good alternative, is this possible?
Old 22 February 2004, 19:30   #203
terryhan

I can't offer any help with this project, but I think it's a fantastic idea.
The only memorable intro I can think of that hasn't been mentioned (I think) is Cruise for a Corpse.

Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope there'll be some way for me to get my hands on a DVD when the time comes

Out of interest, how much space is currently left on the disc?
Old 22 February 2004, 19:42   #204
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I can't offer any help with this project, but I think it's a fantastic idea.
The only memorable intro I can think of that hasn't been mentioned (I think) is Cruise for a Corpse.
Hehehe... no worries, Cruise for a corpse will be included I am sure

Quote:
Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope there'll be some way for me to get my hands on a DVD when the time comes
Thanks, and the DVD will be available somehow.. trust me

Quote:
Out of interest, how much space is currently left on the disc?
Games Disc 1 has about 600mb free (maybe less now), but I still have about 2000 screenshots to include and 30 game box scans, not too mention the special features
Old 22 February 2004, 19:54   #205
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Done: Valhalla Series

Doing: Cruise for a Corpse
Old 22 February 2004, 19:55   #206
BippyM
Global Moderator

lol... Thought you'd be "there" with that one

Anyway I am gonna start getting the DVD together soon, I think some of the game stuff being ripped now will end up on DVD 2.. which will go into production quite soon after DVD 1 is finished!
Old 22 February 2004, 19:56   #207
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
I used Fireworks Pyro. I probably should have used Quark, but oh well.\
Quark? hahah , please Anti, no. You have done a fine job, why would you need such a tool? (which is overrated, btw)

First off, REMOVE the boingball. Amiga Inc are as much assholes as Sony or anyone else. Besides, it represents the "new" amiga,which I think has nothing to do with what goes inside the disc. Yo ucould of use the "checkmark" logo for the side of teh case, and I might or might not put it in the front of the case, experiment with that.

The workbench hand will look ugly. It's ugly :P

I think that it looks fine without anything! Just the typography, as I said above.

And you will kill me, but it's probably best not to use the Eric Schwartz image in there, though I think you COULD ask him about this, he's not that big company shit like amiga, he might accept.

IN brief, my opinion: remove the boingcrap, NO hand image, no nothing, just the typography.
Old 22 February 2004, 19:59   #208
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Pfloyd

I use WinUAE and capture at 704x288 resolution (lines NOT doubled) using the HuffYuv codec.
As WinUAE captures@50fps, I treat each frame as one interlace field (that's why I don't use line doubling)

AVISynth's weave function then converts the 50fps AVI File to 25fps interlaced, the vertical resolution doubles to 576.
UGh, 704x576? what god dang non-standard resolution is that? You better have it all at 720x576 or 768x576 if you want to have it right.

Also, wouldn't you be loosing stuff if you convert to 25FPS interlaced? The amiga displays 50fps through the TV, wouldn't this conversion make it look choppy?
Old 22 February 2004, 20:08   #209
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Quark? hahah , please Anti, no. You have done a fine job, why would you need such a tool? (which is overrated, btw)

First off, REMOVE the boingball. Amiga Inc are as much assholes as Sony or anyone else. Besides, it represents the "new" amiga,which I think has nothing to do with what goes inside the disc. Yo ucould of use the "checkmark" logo for the side of teh case, and I might or might not put it in the front of the case, experiment with that.

I think that it looks fine without anything! Just the typography, as I said above.

And you will kill me, but it's probably best not to use the Eric Schwartz image in there, though I think you COULD ask him about this, he's not that big company shit like amiga, he might accept.

IN brief, my opinion: remove the boingcrap, NO hand image, no nothing, just the typography.
Ahhh.. So its Eric Schwartz that did that 'we're Back' image... always wondered that!

I like the image but was unsure whether to use it or not, now I know who to ask (Does anybody have Erics' email addy)

The image is on the DVD back as an example and nothing more

---

As for the kick 1.3 logo. the more I think about it the more I agree with Akira that it is indeed ugly... I would like something there though, as with nothing it looks "bare" but maybe thats just me!

As for the checkmark, yeah we should use that, I want to try and catch the 'essence' of the Amiga on the cover!
Old 22 February 2004, 20:09   #210
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
lol... Thought you'd be "there" with that one

Anyway I am gonna start getting the DVD together soon, I think some of the game stuff being ripped now will end up on DVD 2.. which will go into production quite soon after DVD 1 is finished!
WinUAE doesn't like cruise for a corpse. It just keeps closing itself sometime between the Delphine logo and the end of the intro, making it impossible to do anything. Tried lots of configs too.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:15   #211
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Sorry but I disagree.

The amiga 'hand' image is a good image to use in this case. When I said to use it I did mean just the general image but redraw it and re colour it to look much better. If the original image was used then it would be ugly.

Also replacing the disk with a CD is a nice way of connecting the old with the new visually.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:20   #212
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
WinUAE doesn't like cruise for a corpse. It just keeps closing itself sometime between the Delphine logo and the end of the intro, making it impossible to do anything. Tried lots of configs too.
Works perfectly here, use the standard demo-500 config I gave you, screen size 320x256 and turn OFF cycle exact.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:21   #213
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Sorry but I disagree.

The amiga 'hand' image is a good image to use in this case. When I said to use it I did mean just the general image but redraw it and re colour it to look much better. If the original image was used then it would be ugly.

Also replacing the disk with a CD is a nice way of connecting the old with the new visually.
I'll leave it to Antiriad, if he comes up with a good looking 1.3 hand then fair enuff! if not oh-well!
Old 22 February 2004, 20:23   #214
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Maybe its just a case of the way I see it in my head looks good, but other people cant see it the same way.

Maybe Antiriad can do it justice, but if not fair enough
Old 22 February 2004, 20:27   #215
Pfloyd

@Akira:

704x576 is called "PAL cropped" with square pixels. On TV, this results in 768x576, because the "pixels" on TV are not square but rectangular (a bit more wide than tall).
(Actually, there are no pixels on TV at all, only lines. But if you calculate the result corresponds to 768x576 i.e. 4:3 aspect ratio).

Even when you watch a 704x576 mpeg on your PC, the mediaplayer scales it to 768x576 in order to display a correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

704x576 is called cropped, because on the left and on the right there are each 8 columns missing. These columns usually are invisible because they are outside the visible area on the TV set.

720x576 is "Full PAL" with square pixels, the TV expands this to 786x576.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:53   #216
Amiga1992

I supose this cropping might cut bits of teh Amiga's overscan, or maybe not? inform me because I talked out of my rear end, it seems ;0
Old 22 February 2004, 20:55   #217
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
The amiga 'hand' image is a good image to use in this case.
I know it's a good sign of what the DVD means but it would not fit with the looks of the cover. I don't know if redrawing it might be a solution, but showing just a disk in the cover doesn't depict the cross from disks (old) to dvd (new). Either you make an iconographic or similar reprsentation of this passage, or you skip it completely and leave the thing without any graphic there. I still think it looks strong enough and the typography alone makes you reminiscent of those old days. BUt that is my opinion, and it seems more people here need a more "explicit" depicting of what's going on.
Old 22 February 2004, 21:16   #218
BippyM
Global Moderator

DVD COVER: How about removing the boing ball and having the Tick on the left (Bottom of tick, level with bottom of the dvd circles) and going up behind the dvd circles, and coming thru the centre of the DVD circles and finally going behind FLASHBACK?

Any Ideas?
Old 22 February 2004, 21:58   #219
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Boing ball gone! Ive added the tick in the spine and used Psy colours instead of the rainbow.

DVD Case Cover here
DVD Disc Cover here

Last edited by Antiriad; 22 February 2004 at 22:10.
Old 22 February 2004, 22:55   #220
BippyM
Global Moderator

Been chatting to Anti on IRC and I suggested a few changes..

In the following I suggested he take the DVD circles and blend them into an Amiga floppy, to grab a bit of that Amiga feel

Anyway I like this cover.. I like it alot, though the DVD circles look a bit like the inner to the floppy...

Anyway ideas and thoughts on this!

http://www.btinternet.com/~christoph...hbackfront.jpg