English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2018, 02:17   #2061
trixster
Guru Meditating

Ha! I didn't say I'd got a rapture! I'm just interested to know how many sonnets and raptures are out there
Old 22 May 2018, 02:39   #2062
nexus

man was just watching LGR his new vid was Unreal cant wait till we can get that engine running been a long time since i played that game
Old 22 May 2018, 03:15   #2063
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Ha! I didn't say I'd got a rapture! I'm just interested to know how many sonnets and raptures are out there

You didn't say you didn't have one either.

And it's twelve it can only ever be twelve. I'm waiting to welcome the new disciple that Cego sold his to.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:51   #2064
nexus

welcome him with some altivec enabled stuff
Old 22 May 2018, 20:15   #2065
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
That's sort of the behavior I see when SWAP jumper is not correct or when mixing certain kinds of Zorro cards with PCI. You might try changing it and giving it another try-or not if you're tired of playing with it.
OK, we have a long weekend coming up with a public holiday so I may have the chance to break it all down again and swap the swap jumper.

That and get something in post to trixster
Old 23 May 2018, 00:27   #2066
Stedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
anyone heard from stedy?
curious how the carriers are coming along
Slowly.

The lack of interest has slowed things a little. The PMC adaptors are not cheap to produce and withe little interest (I think 4 people confirmed interest), it's difficult to justify the outlay for manufacturing.

I've used the project to learn KiCAD, this has taken a bit longer but has been useful for me. I've started with the simpler PCI riser + 3.3V supply, which I then re-use for a PCI to PMC adaptor.

How many users are still experiencing stability issues?
Old 23 May 2018, 01:36   #2067
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Slowly.

The lack of interest has slowed things a little. The PMC adaptors are not cheap to produce and withe little interest (I think 4 people confirmed interest), it's difficult to justify the outlay for manufacturing.

I've used the project to learn KiCAD, this has taken a bit longer but has been useful for me. I've started with the simpler PCI riser + 3.3V supply, which I then re-use for a PCI to PMC adaptor.

For me on the A4000d-Tower it's just fine, no issue.

The desktop on the other hand, after it boots it's also fine, and I can run for many hours without an issue. However something like 1/3 of the time when the Mediator starts I get anything from PCI card not detected, no PPC detected, no Voodoo detected, etc. I have an extra 5V line run to the PMC carrier but it's of no help, it's actually the Mediator with the problem. Attaching some extra 5V lines to the Mediator might resolve it but I was kind of waiting to see what played out with either the PCI riser or a different PMC carrier.

I expect most A4000 users would have the same issue with the Rapture or the higher power cards. I'm about to get another A4000D-Tower going which I assume like the other towerized A4000 should have no issue.

With the Sonnet G3 everything was fine in the A4000d or Tower.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:57   #2068
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Slowly.

Now that I've removed an offending USB card and added a 5v line into the Zorro bus, my A4000D in a tower is really stable with a Rapture card.

In terms of one of your carrier boards Stedy, if one is required for son-of-Rapture then I am very interested!
Old 23 May 2018, 13:31   #2069
trixster
Guru Meditating

Likewise, I'd be up for one if it's a requirement/recommended solution for son-of-rapture. Ive got a Ramix 239/f though so I'm not sure what else stedy's project will bring over the ramix?

Couple of questions:

Does a sonnet and voodoo fit in an A3000 with the case lid in place? All Hedeon's photos of his A3000 have the roof off It looks like if the voodoo is in the bottom slot and the sonnet in the next then with the top slot free (or with a slim NIC pci card in place) there should be enough space.

Can anyone recommend a suitable ATX or similar PSU replacement for the original A4000D psu that physically fits inside the case of the old PSU? Which would ideally have screw-holes in the same places so it could be mounted easily? And I guess one that works ok with this cable and switch adapter http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/...roducts_id=615

Last edited by trixster; 23 May 2018 at 17:15.
Old 23 May 2018, 20:58   #2070
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

A3000D with the sonnet is just fine. The Rapture card needs a few mins to stabilizer, otherwise the Amiga just hangs or resets. After that period it's very stable.

And @ Trixter. The Sonnet is in the top slot, the voodoo in the middle and a network card in the bottom slot. And still the case could be closed, but I swap out the top slot a lot.
Old 23 May 2018, 21:23   #2071
starship

Hi.
Is this project any speed gain about sonnet?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1189690
Old 23 May 2018, 23:04   #2072
nexus

Quote:
Likewise, I'd be up for one if it's a requirement/recommended solution for son-of-rapture. Ive got a Ramix 239/f though so I'm not sure what else stedy's project will bring over the ramix?

Couple of questions:

Does a sonnet and voodoo fit in an A3000 with the case lid in place? All Hedeon's photos of his A3000 have the roof off It looks like if the voodoo is in the bottom slot and the sonnet in the next then with the top slot free (or with a slim NIC pci card in place) there should be enough space.

Can anyone recommend a suitable ATX or similar PSU replacement for the original A4000D psu that physically fits inside the case of the old PSU? Which would ideally have screw-holes in the same places so it could be mounted easily? And I guess one that works ok with this cable and switch adapter http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/...roducts_id=615

any regular size pcb ATX PSU the old common box type should fit just fine
only issue when i did this for hedeon was just the height of the heatsinks etc cause of that tiny A3000D PSU case the A4000D PSU case shouldnt have that issue

pcb be this size http://wordpress.hertell.nu/wp-conte.../A2kPSUATX.jpg
so really all the amiga power supplies can take that size just the A3000D needs either a low power with tiny heatsinks or you need to cut them down if you use high power
i stuffed a 350w seasonic in hedeons A3000D

but whatever you do make sure the bottom is protected from shorting out with the case need to always use something plastic/standoffs/rubber whatever

little fyi if you hook your power switch to the power good signal when you turn that setup off there is still voltage on the +5vsb as that is standby power on ATX its how the switch on a pc case can turn your pc on

also "some" wont turn on if you jumper the power good to ground without a load but most dont have that issue and if you do its a easy fix

Last edited by nexus; 23 May 2018 at 23:25.
Old 23 May 2018, 23:05   #2073
trixster
Guru Meditating

Nice one, thanks for the info
Old 23 May 2018, 23:31   #2074
nexus

just remember to read the PSU specs
as in the total amps per voltage and what it is when combined with other voltages

on hedeons i left the AT AUX 3.3v line for him to use if ever needed

Last edited by nexus; 23 May 2018 at 23:41.
Old 24 May 2018, 01:23   #2075
grelbfarlk

Quote:

I use a Corsair SF-450 in my A4000d. It's an SFX power supply which is almost exactly the width of the original A4000 power supply, but much shorter and shallower leaving lots of extra room. I am using it without much modification, just pulled out the fan header and connected that to 5V since it doesn't put enough of a load on it to spin it otherwise. I use the extra space above it for Ratte's monitor switch.
Old 24 May 2018, 17:06   #2076
trixster
Guru Meditating

I like that suggestion grelbfarlk, it gets a good write up on tomshardware, and this guy has produced an interesting looking 3d-printed bracket to fit it into the existing space along with the amigakit cable and switch:

https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:2792761
Old 25 May 2018, 03:15   #2077
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I like that suggestion grelbfarlk, it gets a good write up on tomshardware, and this guy has produced an interesting looking 3d-printed bracket to fit it into the existing space along with the amigakit cable and switch:

https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:2792761

My eyebrows raised so much when I saw that 3d printed bezel, I lost my monocle. Unfortunately I'm going to have to veto this. You can either have a system as fast as mine OR you can have one that's aesthetically pleasing, not both.
Old 25 May 2018, 17:41   #2078
nexus

but i want my cake and eat it too
Old 25 May 2018, 18:12   #2079
grelbfarlk

New ScummVM uploaded to the zone, now should work on CSPPC, worked on mine at least.
Old 28 May 2018, 00:33   #2080
grelbfarlk

If anyone wants a port of Super Mario War, I have that running, let me know. It's a silly one to four player game, I don't know if anyone would actually use it/play it so I'm not bothering to post it unless someone wants it.
[ Show youtube player ]