English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 28 July 2017, 09:22   #2061
sandruzzo

Updated exe. Bug about rygars' anim when move object into temple should be gone, as when it die into hall.
Old 28 July 2017, 13:38   #2062
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Both bugs are gone as it seems. One tiny graphics issue. After you've left the summary room there is a flash for a split second.

When you start the game with only 1MB chipram the Rygar sprite is broken. I assume you will fix that later?
Old 28 July 2017, 15:02   #2063
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Both bugs are gone as it seems. One tiny graphics issue. After you've left the summary room there is a flash for a split second.

When you start the game with only 1MB chipram the Rygar sprite is broken. I assume you will fix that later?
About that bug, is well know, the others, rygar broken I don't know. Maybe ram issue. I'll try to release a smaller .exe. Few minutes it'll be there
Old 28 July 2017, 15:30   #2064
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nope, still broken with 1MB Chipram.

Old 28 July 2017, 16:10   #2065
sandruzzo

Ok, I'll see what I can do..
Old 30 July 2017, 10:13   #2066
sandruzzo

Updated Rygar exe and less big .mod file. It should bite less memory. Working on that.
Old 30 July 2017, 14:53   #2067
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Confirmed. Works fine now with 1MB Chipram only. But the freezing bug before you enter the room seems still there. Happens randomly though. Sometimes in the first run, sometimes it takes 3-4.
Old 30 July 2017, 14:59   #2068
sandruzzo

Quote:
Confirmed. Works fine now with 1MB Chipram only. But the freezing bug before you enter the room seems still there. Happens randomly though. Sometimes in the first run, sometimes it takes 3-4.
Ok, I'll check that out. I still have some kb to spare, and work on performance to have more on screen if we can!
Old 30 July 2017, 15:04   #2069
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Good progress in the last few month. It really starts to feel like a game.
Old 30 July 2017, 15:07   #2070
sandruzzo

You're kind, and thanks for all this testing! We're doing something never before on Amiga!
Old 30 July 2017, 15:09   #2071
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No problem. But it needs more testing on real hardware. Akira will surely test your latest versions too, if he finds some time.
Old 30 July 2017, 19:35   #2072
DamienD
Banned

Just tested this

a) cannot jump onto any platforms now.
b) when you jump into the tree Rygar goes crazy when moving left / right, same old bug as reported previously...
c) bug when you fall down the pit and restart is still present.
d) crashed for me when trying to enter the end of level temple.
e) number if lives at the bottom of the screen is a funny colour i.e. yellow / red as opposed to white / red.
Old 30 July 2017, 19:43   #2073
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Just tested this

a) cannot jump onto any platforms now.
b) when you jump into the tree Rygar goes crazy when moving left / right, same old bug as reported previously...
c) bug when you fall down the pit and restart is still present.
d) crashed for me when trying to enter the end of level temple.
e) number if lives at the bottom of the screen is a funny colour i.e. yellow / red as opposed to white / red.
Mate thanks. I'll tackle all of them as soon as possible. The last one is due to I've turned on plane 4 to gain some dma slot. We'll have to have it 8 colors not 16 as it is now
Old 30 July 2017, 19:44   #2074
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I don't think that any of these things are final, Damien. It's more like a tech Demo at this point.
Old 30 July 2017, 19:59   #2075
sandruzzo

We are here to get fun first, and too see if Amiga can do it. And it can! Games like rygar are not so easy to port, because they are complex
Old 30 July 2017, 21:46   #2076
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I don't think that any of these things are final, Damien. It's more like a tech Demo at this point.
I get that Retro; just thought I'd report on bugs because if no one does then they won't get fixed
Old 30 July 2017, 23:43   #2077
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Just tested latest version on my A600 with 2mb Chip Ram. Using a 6 button Mega-Drive pad, 2 buttons works perfectly with it.

Bugs B) and D) that DamienD got I only got when booting from a WARM boot (i.e, after a soft reset). When I turned the machine off and then on again from the power switch, those bugs were gone. I don't know how this affects the game, but I remembered Akira mentioning it so I tested it too.

In both ocasions, if I fall on the pit, after that my character is invisible whenever I jump.

And the game is suffering bad from slowdowns when the screen is cluttered. IMO the game was already looking great with 5 bitplanes instead of 6... if that's whats causing the slowdown, I rather have less color but 50hz all the time. But, of course, its your game and you do it as you please

Just listing stuff that I noticed. Other than that its looking great, I really hope you have the energy/help to code all levels/mechanics etc.

Soundwise the game is amazing, incredibly accurate comparing to the arcade game.

Mate, I believe you have help with the graphics and sound, and I am not really all that skilled on that areas. But any tests you may need with real hardware, if you want me to run some debug code, test suff and take notes with a debug version showing info on screen, whatever, just tell me. I can even remove my 1mb expansion to test the game with just 1mb if you want so. Whatever, just ask.
Old 31 July 2017, 10:39   #2078
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Just tested latest version on my A600 with 2mb Chip Ram. Using a 6 button Mega-Drive pad, 2 buttons works perfectly with it.

Bugs B) and D) that DamienD got I only got when booting from a WARM boot (i.e, after a soft reset). When I turned the machine off and then on again from the power switch, those bugs were gone. I don't know how this affects the game, but I remembered Akira mentioning it so I tested it too.

In both ocasions, if I fall on the pit, after that my character is invisible whenever I jump.

And the game is suffering bad from slowdowns when the screen is cluttered. IMO the game was already looking great with 5 bitplanes instead of 6... if that's whats causing the slowdown, I rather have less color but 50hz all the time. But, of course, its your game and you do it as you please

Just listing stuff that I noticed. Other than that its looking great, I really hope you have the energy/help to code all levels/mechanics etc.

Soundwise the game is amazing, incredibly accurate comparing to the arcade game.

Mate, I believe you have help with the graphics and sound, and I am not really all that skilled on that areas. But any tests you may need with real hardware, if you want me to run some debug code, test suff and take notes with a debug version showing info on screen, whatever, just tell me. I can even remove my 1mb expansion to test the game with just 1mb if you want so. Whatever, just ask.
Thanks Mate! We're trying to run it at 50hz 6 planes. But if we'll soffer too much slow down we'll get back to 5 planes!

Thanks again for your helps, and time!
Old 31 July 2017, 23:50   #2079
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just tested the latest version on my A1200. Scrolls perfectly smooth in 50fps, only if you wait for more enemies on the screen the game slows down a bit. Runs even great with my MTEC 1230 turbocard and all slowdowns are gone then.

Also i can't reproduce the "freeze before entering the room" bug anymore. Could be an emulation problem.

Maybe you could consider two versions. A technically (slightly) cut down version for ECS Amigas and a better one for AGA machines.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 August 2017 at 00:07.
Old 01 August 2017, 07:37   #2080
sandruzzo

Quote:
Just tested the latest version on my A1200. Scrolls perfectly smooth in 50fps, only if you wait for more enemies on the screen the game slows down a bit. Runs even great with my MTEC 1230 turbocard and all slowdowns are gone then.

Also i can't reproduce the "freeze before entering the room" bug anymore. Could be an emulation problem.

Maybe you could consider two versions. A technically (slightly) cut down version for ECS Amigas and a better one for AGA machines.
Thanks mate. I did some tests, and it's the parallax layer that bite a lot of dma slots. I want to see if we reduce is we can run at 50hz on ECS with all that shit on screen