English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 April 2011, 11:59   #2001
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yay good to hear that the Kingston silly flower CF card has sorted your pcmcia problems out, oh the joy of computers
Old 05 April 2011, 12:00   #2002
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
yay good to hear that the Kingston silly flower CF card has sorted your pcmcia problems out, oh the joy of computers

He he, cheers mate

Wondering if my Power Flyer Gold will work now, looks like the screws will be coming out again later
Old 05 April 2011, 15:20   #2003
lost_lemming

ok Any news on the AGA mrk II? i asked if anyone was selling one back in Feb and I got told to wait lol
Old 05 April 2011, 15:58   #2004
Mr B

Your still going to get told to wait. There is a spot here, right next to me, as i'm also waiting...
B!
Old 05 April 2011, 16:45   #2005
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
mr B you get the Arthur C Clarke post award!

Last edited by DDNI; 05 April 2011 at 19:47.
Old 05 April 2011, 16:56   #2006
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
mr B you get the Arthur C Clarke post award!
Thought I was in the wrong thread for a moment then .

@lost lemming theres already threads about Indivision MK2.
We are all waiting, .
Old 06 April 2011, 02:24   #2007
Amiga1992

Is there any place having the 56Mhz version? All I find is 42Mhz which I do not want.
Old 06 April 2011, 04:07   #2008
thgill

Mr B mentioned recently getting one from a place in Switzerland.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=744255&postcount=15

http://www.relec.ch/frch/index.php?p...chk=1&Itemid=2

Appears they are still showing stock.
Old 12 April 2011, 10:37   #2009
Photon

Uh oh, relec.ch might be overloaded from being abimenetted!!
Old 12 April 2011, 14:30   #2010
Mr B

I hope not. But they should perhaps spend a buck or two, and get the site working with FireFox. As far as purchasing my ACA 1230/56, they were great to deal with, but i have NO idea how warranty is handled, this was my first purchase from them, and well, as far it seams to be a 100% working piece of hardware that i received. Jens / Individual Computers produced a great product.
B!
Old 12 April 2011, 14:50   #2011
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I hope not. But they should perhaps spend a buck or two, and get the site working with FireFox. As far as purchasing my ACA 1230/56, they were great to deal with, but i have NO idea how warranty is handled, this was my first purchase from them, and well, as far it seams to be a 100% working piece of hardware that i received. Jens / Individual Computers produced a great product.
B!
Everything I clicked on was out of stock.
The ACA1230 56MHz page appears to be broken.

All other pages are fine on FireFox.
Old 12 April 2011, 15:06   #2012
Mr B

I honestly didn't test any other pages, but now that you said you did, i had to try it, and your right. Seams all the other pages are working. Odd.
I was able to add a joystick, and 4 port adapter to my "cart" as well as a subway USB item, and so on. Then i didn't go through with the order, as i don't need / want the items. Anyway. For anyone still wanting a ACA 1230/56 i do recommend that the extra hassle involved with filling out the form and getting a email sent to them is dealt with. I have no idea if they have any left, but that way the guess work is taken out of the equation. As i said, they were very friendly to email with.
B!
Old 12 April 2011, 15:35   #2013
Claw22000

Why get the 56mhz ver. Isn't there compatibility issues with going faster than 28mhz in games? I'm new to dealing with accelerators so sorry for dumb question.
Old 12 April 2011, 15:50   #2014
Mr B

I wouldn't know about issues. I can only say as much as those games i've tried have no issues so far. On the other hand, i've been playing Settlers, K-240, and Chaos engine. The complete library of games are a lot larger then this, so issues may be waiting to show up.
A positive effect have been noted tho. K-240 is a fair bit faster, game-play is a lot less about waiting, and more about "the game". It means it's harder to target the small spaceships to give them orders, but i always had the habit of building a hangar on every asteroid anyway, so for me it works out well.

All i can say is that this is the first i've heard about faster accelerators being "bad" for games.
B!
Old 12 April 2011, 21:05   #2015
Photon

Yeah basically anything except stock A500(+)/A600 and A1200 is "bad for games", due to when most games were coded, before any gamer had an accel

So... Myth BUSTED!
Old 17 April 2011, 02:44   #2016
Mr B

So far it seams everything is working out pretty much as expected with my ACA1230/56. But i have a few questions, that i wouldn't mind having answers for.

Why does Sysinfo say it's a 60.50MHz CPU?

How hot is a 68030 supposed to get @56MHz? (Mine gets "to hot to keep your finger on", but not "to hot to touch")

Whats with the "chip speed vs A600" ? Drystones are "spot on" compared to Jens screen here. But chip was 2.5 or so, instead of 6.00, if i remember right.

Is there anything i "should" do with the ACAtune software to increase performance? Currently i'm simply launching it, without any command switches, just before the loadWB command in the startup-sequence.

Aside from minor issues that i've contributed to the slaves of the WHDload games i've been playing, everything seams to work pretty darn good. But today i experienced some memory corruption slowly messing up icons in a game, and ultimately crashing it. (A-Train, from KG's set.) After that i had what probably was a solid 6 hour sitting on Settlers, with no issues, so now i don't know what to think. Most likely it's just A-train being a bother.

So much to learn, so little understanding of where to start looking.
B!
Old 17 April 2011, 08:46   #2017
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi Mr B!

Have a good read of the ACATune Docs, there are several options you can enable to give you a speed boost - the most important is MapRom as this will give you a significant speed up. If you don't have 3.1 Rom you can re-kick it from an image file of even your own 3.9Rom file

Also ACATune needs to be the first thing in the Startup-Sequence - all this again is explained in the docs.

Steve.
Old 17 April 2011, 12:04   #2018
Mr B

Guess i've been to lazy as usual. Haven't even found said docs... Guess i'll go back over the thread, it must be in one of the earlier acatune archives. Cheers.
B!
Old 17 April 2011, 13:15   #2019
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Guess i've been to lazy as usual. Haven't even found said docs... Guess i'll go back over the thread, it must be in one of the earlier acatune archives. Cheers.
B!
See post no. 1
Old 18 April 2011, 00:02   #2020
Mr B

¿?¿
o_0

Um... first link. German thingy. *closing* Brain just shut down, will need time for a reboot.

System is back up. Second link then. Manufacturer homepage. Sadly out of date when it comes to the ACA cards. Priority is getting everyone who wants one, a card, and solving issues for those that really need support. I cant find any docs there. They might be there, i just cant find em.
Third link, news story, nothing really informative at this point, i think?
Forth link is where i got the ACATune utility. No docs.

Also. No go with ACATune as the very first line in the startup-sequence. It made my Amiga refuse to boot up after it loaded. Consecutive boots either landed me at the "insert floppy" screen, or the same ACATune AmigaDOS output window. Tore my Amiga apart, and walked home with the harddrive, and put it back just b4 LoadWB. It works, but it may very well be the wrong place to have it, so i'll have a more in dept peek at it, when i got a possibility to use the Amiga at home. Jens, get that Indivision AGA MK2 available for gods sake. ;- )
I'm guessing ACATune needs a switch to enable it to coexist with the scsi.device, if it's going to be launched first.
Anyway, if it works to launch ACATune from the workbench desktop, then it should work just fine from where it currently sits in my startup-sequence.
(After pulling the drive, and walking home with it, i figured out that pulling the ACA1230 card from the Amiga probably would have forced ACATune not to remain resident, and let my system boot, so now i know for a later time.)

*shrugs* anyway, for now i guess i just need to figure out what i'm missing, so i can set it up when i don't have a half an hour walk in each direction, to fix it, if i screw up.
B!