English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 November 2022, 13:05   #181
skyzoo73

Thumbs up

tested the latest version (3.4) of the game on Amiga 500+ kick2.0,
I confirm that now it works without any problems.
Old 07 November 2022, 05:43   #182
TjLaZer

Latest game version 3.4 and slave for WHDload works on my A4000 060 now, but the trainer is now broke. (Using NOCACHE and NOMMU Tooltype)
Old 07 November 2022, 11:04   #183
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Latest game version 3.4 and slave for WHDload works on my A4000 060 now, but the trainer is now broke. (Using NOCACHE and NOMMU Tooltype)
The inbuilt game cheat is broken, could you specify please?
Old 07 November 2022, 11:43   #184
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I also thought the trainer was broken but you have to press E and T in game to switch on infinite energy and time. Ticking the boxes on the splash screen isn’t enough.
Old 07 November 2022, 12:01   #185
rabidgerry

I thought I read back a few pages ago the quit key was fixed. Do I need to set this manually in tooltypes in WHDload version? Also is there a way to quit mid game without having to reset the system?
Old 07 November 2022, 21:53   #186
PARALAX

Send a message via ICQ to PARALAX
The game could be so great. Great graphics, even with optional AGA color palette with 256 colors and very atmospheric sound from H0ffman. Unfortunately, it is precisely the most important point that destroys the fun: The playability! It can't be that I'm constantly losing energy when I'm standing directly over an opponent and then suddenly can't move anymore, which inevitably leads to moments of frustration. This shortcoming was already included in earlier beta versions, but has not been eliminated in the final version to date. In addition, the game is not exactly cheap compared to similar games of this kind at the equivalent of 16€, especially since this price only applies to the pure download version. Of course, it is up to everyone to evaluate this review according to their own criteria - as press representatives we are only doing our job. But as it is, it looks like an unfinished game in which you quickly lose the desire to continue playing.

Last edited by PARALAX; 07 November 2022 at 23:12.
Old 07 November 2022, 22:16   #187
dirkies
Zone Friend

You ever played the original in the arcades? This game is a milestone in what amigas can do! All respect to mcgeezer for this tech exploit.
Old 08 November 2022, 09:12   #188
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARALAX View Post
Unfortunately, it is precisely the most important point that destroys the fun: The playability! It can't be that I'm constantly losing energy when I'm standing directly over an opponent and then suddenly can't move anymore, which inevitably leads to moments of frustration. This shortcoming was already included in earlier beta versions, but has not been eliminated in the final version to date.
You obviously never played Kung Fu Master on the C=64. This is not a bug, it's a feature! If you don't knock down your opponent while he's approaching, he clasps you from which you can free yourself by pressing the joystick button and wrestling the joystick left-right. The game is subtitled "Son of Kung Fu Master" after all...

Last edited by grond; 08 November 2022 at 09:37.
Old 08 November 2022, 09:28   #189
E-Penguin
Banana

Amiga must be one of the most difficult platforms to develop fo ras no two machines have the same spec and no two users like the same features.

I bought the game and usually play with the cheats on anyway as I have the hand eye coordination of a blind mole rat
Old 08 November 2022, 09:56   #190
PARALAX

I've never played the original, either on the Arcade or on the C64, and can only write it from my perspective as someone who just wants to play a good beat 'em up. Many games already suffered from good playability and logic at that time. So don't expect to have played every original. Similar games like "Streets of Rage" on the Mega Drive were far more progressive and fairer, even if they were basically hard - that's not the point. By the way, there is no sign of "hold on" during combat with his opponents. Rather, it looks like the enemies are holding each other while the player is still being drained of energy as a overlaid sprite, which is completely illogical to me. A contemporary "casual mode" (or whatever you like to call it) would have done the game very well. Otherwise I can only write it from my point of view and I would certainly never have bought such an original.
Old 08 November 2022, 10:32   #191
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I thought I read back a few pages ago the quit key was fixed. Do I need to set this manually in tooltypes in WHDload version? Also is there a way to quit mid game without having to reset the system?
Quoting myself. But WHDload version doesn't work after all. Crashes after about 60 seconds, once you begin the first level. Could be a once off so i'll try it out again later to confirm.
Old 08 November 2022, 10:35   #192
roondar

Quote:
I've never played the original, either on the Arcade or on the C64, and can only write it from my perspective as someone who just wants to play a good beat 'em up. Many games already suffered from good playability and logic at that time. So don't expect to have played every original. Similar games like "Streets of Rage" on the Mega Drive were far more progressive and fairer, even if they were basically hard - that's not the point. By the way, there is no sign of "hold on" during combat with his opponents. Rather, it looks like the enemies are holding each other while the player is still being drained of energy as a overlaid sprite, which is completely illogical to me. A contemporary "casual mode" (or whatever you like to call it) would have done the game very well. Otherwise I can only write it from my point of view and I would certainly never have bought such an original.
Well, to each their own. I had seen this mechanic in several games already (not just Kung Fu Master), so I didn't really find it odd. But there's no arguing with what someone likes/dislikes so I'll just say that I personally don't agree this is a bad feature. Especially not since this is a homage to Kung Fu Master, which has the same feature.
Old 08 November 2022, 10:54   #193
mcgeezer

Quote:
OK I'll bite.

It's fine I and I get it, you don't like the game, some people don't.
Some people absolutely adore Street Fighter, personally I can't stand it, it's the worst game in the World, but I don't bleat on about it.

We modelled the gameplay and story on Kung Fu Master, yet you readily admit you've never played the original game that defined the genre.

As for the game being unfinished, well... yeah, it doesn't have a hi-score table which is a shame and I will come back to it in an update, so I'd agree with you there.... but game play wise, it's finished, polished and done, to say otherwise is laughable.

However with that said, I suspect the real reason you're here is to do with being upset at the removal of your post yesterday on my mcgeezer.itch.io page, it contained links to your monetised Twitch stream.

Why should I allow you to post a shit review of my game (specifically my ability to program the game) while also giving you money in the process?

You've posted the same crap over in a1k, what exactly is it you have against me, did I spit in your food at Amiga 37 or something?

For every 1 bad review of the game, there'll be 10 good ones... I can live with that.

mcgeezer
Old 08 November 2022, 11:14   #194
viddi

Didn´t have the time to play your game properly, yet.

But I love it. The art, music and of course your fantastic work, mcgeezer.
Going to put my teeth into it next month.
Old 08 November 2022, 11:27   #195
acidbottle

I am very grateful that games of this quality are still being made for an Amiga in 2022.

Finally had a chance to give it an hour of time last night on a real Amiga (1200 TF1260), had no issues and is smooth as silk
Old 08 November 2022, 12:10   #196
grond

Quote:
I've never played the original, either on the Arcade or on the C64, and can only write it from my perspective as someone who just wants to play a good beat 'em up.
You are free to not like the clasping but it's a crucial part of the game mechanic. It is where the difficulty of this game and its role-model, Kung Fu Master, lays (single-kick elimination of hords of enemies isn't exactly difficult in itself, what would YOU have the guys do when they reach you?).

It's quite a display of ignorance if you didn't bother to learn about the original game and role-model of this game which happens to be subtitled "Son of Kung Fu Master" before writing a review of this game.
Old 08 November 2022, 12:53   #197
mcgeezer

Mr PARALAX,

I always like to keep my customers happy, so could you send me a private message please with your email address and I will refund you the copy of the game you've purchased.

Thanks,
mcgeezer
Old 08 November 2022, 13:26   #198
mcgeezer

btw - The game manual is now available on my itch page free to download

https://mcgeezer.itch.io/kung-fu-remaster

Thanks to all of the guys who helped proof read it yesterday over on my Discord, it was a huge help!

mcgeezer
Old 08 November 2022, 15:15   #199
Nightshft

Paralax, this clinch is part of the original gameplay!
Just play Kung Fu Master on C64 or Mame and you'll see.
Otherwise it would be to easy and maybe boring!
I know it is possible to reach at least level 6 without cheats.
Just practise, you can do it!
Old 08 November 2022, 17:36   #200
PARALAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
OK I'll bite.

It's fine I and I get it, you don't like the game, some people don't.
Some people absolutely adore Street Fighter, personally I can't stand it, it's the worst game in the World, but I don't bleat on about it.

We modelled the gameplay and story on Kung Fu Master, yet you readily admit you've never played the original game that defined the genre.

As for the game being unfinished, well... yeah, it doesn't have a hi-score table which is a shame and I will come back to it in an update, so I'd agree with you there.... but game play wise, it's finished, polished and done, to say otherwise is laughable.

However with that said, I suspect the real reason you're here is to do with being upset at the removal of your post yesterday on my mcgeezer.itch.io page, it contained links to your monetised Twitch stream.

Why should I allow you to post a shit review of my game (specifically my ability to program the game) while also giving you money in the process?

You've posted the same crap over in a1k, what exactly is it you have against me, did I spit in your food at Amiga 37 or something?

For every 1 bad review of the game, there'll be 10 good ones... I can live with that.

mcgeezer

Unfortunately I have to disagree. I don't earn a cent with our Twitch channel and I don't have an advertising contract or anything like that. I just referred to the channel and the recorded liveshow, like others do with their gameplay videos in the comments. And of course I don't have a problem with it if you don't want it.

It has always been my goal to report on the games that I have been writing about or presenting online for many years as objectively as possible and at the same time according to my own feelings. And of course I referred to the original when I presented the preview, but I wasn't able to play it due to time constraints. Apart from that, nothing would have changed in my opinion that the game has fundamental playful weaknesses - on the contrary!

I also never said it was a bad game, see my first sentence. From a technical point of view it is even excellent. I only pointed out the weaknesses in the game from the point of view of someone who has never played the original with the assumption that it is a bug. And I'm of the opinion that casual gamers shouldn't simply be ignored either, such as those who travel in their thousands with their parents to games fairs like Gamescom - one of the most important in the world, by the way. That's why I mentioned the beginner-friendly mode, so that even someone who never played the original can get along with it and not lose interest in it so quickly, but apparently that was probably asking too much.

I was really looking forward to it and would have loved to have shown it on one of the larger events we attend each year. But as it is at the moment, it will probably cause too much frustration among the audience.