X-Out 6 4.26%
Yo Joe! 4 2.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 May 2023, 22:56   #181
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Could someone explain me what's so great about Turrican 2 soundtrack?
The fact alone that you can call it a soundtrack. Can't say that for most Amiga games, the truth would usually be "it has a few good tunes". It is almost like the levels were designed for the music rather than the other way around.

The victory music is extra special to me. I can name only one other game where the end game music inspired me to just sit through the credits and that is Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time.
Old 07 May 2023, 23:07   #182
tarr

Leander. You forgot Leander.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 May 2023, 01:24   #183
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I would also add Rubicon to this list. The title track is one of the best Amiga pieces for the system. I would also add the incredible G.nius music but it's somehow never ever mentioned in these things. Incredible music. Oh and Drivin Force similarly brilliant
Old 12 May 2023, 21:15   #184
Rock'n Roll
German Translator

Rock'n Roll
The Lost Patrol
Yo Joe!
Rings of Medusa
Lotus 2
Old 12 May 2023, 21:55   #185
Zak
Zap´em

I suspect the list given in this poll is just a list seen from the technical standpoint of sound quality and production. This, however, is none of the basic pillars of music as taught in the lecture hall in terms of music theory. Those pillars are rhythm, melody, harmony and dynamics. I, for example, see The Duel Test Drive II as far better music than most of the list shown although it may not be as well produced as the others, but seen from the pillars of music, it's masterclass.
Old 13 May 2023, 16:19   #186
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I suspect the list given in this poll is just a list seen from the technical standpoint of sound quality and production. This, however, is none of the basic pillars of music as taught in the lecture hall in terms of music theory. Those pillars are rhythm, melody, harmony and dynamics. I, for example, see The Duel Test Drive II as far better music than most of the list shown although it may not be as well produced as the others, but seen from the pillars of music, it's masterclass.
very true. My understanding of music in the sense of it's worth comes from how uniquely identifiable it is. Normally music derived from arpeggio and bass for example is often championed but it very often doesn't conclude it's melodies as say more professionally realised ones do. Something the likes of the excellent Hybris or Battle Squadron are a good example of. The Eliminator music on ST and Amiga version another example where it is better musically than the C64 version but because it's not as funky and impressive in terms of how technically it uses the machine and throws it's notes around, it's seen as a much worse piece. The Cannon Fodder games another example where the title tunes are always the mention but they also include some excellent pieces besides that

The absolutely stunning Super Cycle music on the C64 another really excellent example of masterclass in professionally written music but not if you were to create a best C64 best poll. I guess it demonstrates that being showy will often sway opinion

That's not to say that a lot of what is popular isn't actually very good because it mostly certainly is but the likes of the wonderful Zany Golf music for example are likely not viewed in the same way which is why they rarely get put on these polls and that's where the real genius tends to be.

Wing Commander I would say is very professional written

Last edited by Adropac2; 13 May 2023 at 16:37.
Old 13 May 2023, 16:35   #187
kremiso

Jambala worth an entry too

perfect for my hifi bass boost back in the day
Old 14 May 2023, 02:10   #188
saimo

I didn't vote because I don't know the music of most of the games in the poll. Among the tunes I know, the best one is Pinball Dreams' intro music: it is not only tracker-technically excellent, but also a magnificent piece of prog music (equalled, when it comes to the mods I know, only by Moby's Knulla Kuk). In general Olof Gustafsson's music (the intro music of Pinball Fantasies, another remarkable piece of prog music, the in-game music of said games, the title screen music of Benefactor) is really high quality.
Old 17 May 2023, 09:57   #189
Howardphilips

Thank you for all the uncommon suggestions. Will try to find a suitable way to listen to them.
While at it, if you are looking for a good reference site to download in MP3 format many Amiga musics, you may try here: https://worldofmenchi.fr/Amiga/Musics/
There are about a thousand titles in there, in 320 kbps glory!
Old 19 May 2023, 10:06   #190
Kagesan

I always wonder why Battle Squadron was such a unique one-off. Ron Klaren delivered four smashing tracks for the game which were memorable both in composition and sound design, but as far as I know, he never made much else. How could such brilliance so suddenly appear out of nowhere, to vanish again just as quickly? Does anyone know the story behind that?

Regarding the poll in general, I’d like to propose adding Hülsbeck's soundtrack to Hollywood Poker Pro. IMO, it’s along his very best works, and I’m disappointed time and again that the intro tune never shows up on any of his remix albums. Maybe Chris is embarrassed that he has delivered such great work for a crappy game like that?

If Chris or someone else involved in those albums reads this: HPP intro for Piano Collection III, please!
Old 19 May 2023, 10:13   #191
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Similar with Blair Zuppicich - he composed excellent music for several Amiga games by Vision and then he disappeared and can not be tracked.
Old 19 May 2023, 10:29   #192
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You can also approach it from a perspective of how it impacts you as a gamer. I don't find the intro music in Myth, Kult and Power Monger particularly dance worthy, but it does make an impression and sets a clear tone for what is to come - a game made for adults. Its way more than just a tune, it's almost surreal. It's cool to see games breaking from the standard.
Old 24 May 2023, 00:23   #193
Ray Norrish

I would have put Killing Gameshow in there instead of Blood Money.
Old 24 May 2023, 10:07   #194
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I can also name one that has the best version of the worst music: Atomic Robo Kid. The stage 2 music of the arcade version and most ports is shockingly aggravating, like it is meant to overload your senses and make you feel stressed out. But the Amiga version is actually quite decent.
Old 24 May 2023, 12:17   #195
acidbottle

No Ninja Warriors? .. tsk!

Been so many good tracks made for Amiga games it is impossible really to say one is better than another.

I'm in a very small minority of people that doesn't really rate the Turrican soundtrack, don't hate it but don't see all the fuss.

SOTB for me ultimately, iconic in every way.
Old 24 May 2023, 12:19   #196
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
100%
Old 24 May 2023, 13:14   #197
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Similar with Blair Zuppicich - he composed excellent music for several Amiga games by Vision and then he disappeared and can not be tracked.
Cybernetix! <3

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 May 2023, 13:28   #198
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
Me too.
Old 24 May 2023, 20:34   #199
Photon

Gods
Hybris
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Fantasies
Shadow of the Beast
Speedball 2
Turrican 2

...but I would add many games beyond those listed in the poll. <3

Anything by Tomas Dahlgren, Jimmy Fredriksson, Felix Schmidt, Chris Hülsbeck, and all the members of Maniacs of Noise, for example. Pearls.

Of all the games, some will have frustrating gameplay or wasn't so fun to play, or something happened so that they didn't become popular or played at all (released too late, bad marketing, bad management or lack of resources). Only if the games reached us at all could great gameplay make us like drab music because we looked forward to playing, and some music make us like the game even though it was not enjoyable.

So for minmaxing the latter i nominate Shadow of the Beast. It's in some ways not special, but the instrument sounds lend so much poetry to the story surrounding the gameplay. And it's not hectic/cheery/cute like so many (of his) game soundtracks, before and after, even though he has quite some classics already on the Amiga...

I don't know, I just think something great must have happened in his life at that time.
Old 24 May 2023, 22:59   #200
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Cybernetix as already mentioned is brilliant. The highscore music as well is excellent. And like the musician that did Battle Squadron, that was pretty much all we got from them unfortunately. I'd actually add Paul van der Valk's Hybris in here too because while he did other stuff of course, Hybris was hugely melodic in comparison to those and I don't believe he ever again did themes like this?