English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 July 2015, 05:39   #181
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i regret this : [ Show youtube player ]
castlevania on amiga was a dream for me but it changes in a nightmare !!!
what the hell they tried to do ??
And by the way why konami cancelled so much amiga games ??
And why often konami ports are just ports from the nes ??
Perhaps they were shocked by castlevania port and didn't want anymore let too much liberties to amiga coders ???
Konami working on an amiga game is what missed to the amiga, i would be curious to see what they could have done with the amiga, sadly i 'll never! ;-(
Old 28 July 2015, 05:55   #182
ransom1122

Yeah it's Pretty bad. Reading all the comments made me laugh. Especially one saying were the musicians tone deaf. Haha.
For a 25yr old game I could think of worse games in its era. Thankfully the early 90s exploded with many more amiga game releases which rather quickly made everyone put castlevania in hiding.
Old 28 July 2015, 08:09   #183
snoopy77

Regrets,

-That Commodore went bust and had poor management
-That they never produced a mid market pizza box style machine with one or two slots & AGA
-That they produced the A600 - even though I think it is kind of cool nowadays (was the death knell in my view though CBM was probably just about gone by then anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It probably should have been, but the price of one (even without a HD) was already too high for most people.

For what it was, it was a ridiculously over priced machine.
I'm in Australia and I well remember ringing up my local supplier in 1992 to get a price (Maxwell Computer in Abbortsford Victoria). Was going to cost me around $1500 AUD from what I remember for a basic machine with 40mb HDD. I eventually did the comparison with a PC and I just couldn't justify the price difference. I could get a 486sx25/4mb/80mb for a similar kind of price. The Amiga felt twice as expensive as what it should be. So I left the scene around 1992.

I don't think the machine was as overpriced in other parts of the world. Someone just went bonkers with the price in Australia I think. They probably expected to sell hardly any here, and well, they achieved that goal! I never saw a single A1200 in a shop, the first one I ever saw in real life was the one I bought from overseas last year. Pity because the A500 was big here, there should have been a market for the A1200.
Old 28 July 2015, 08:44   #184
dirkies
Zone Friend

That the early 90s did not bring the same genuine excitement of the late 80s era, but I will always keep fond memories of my A500 which was just mind blowing when I experienced it already in 1987.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:27   #185
vulture

I'd love for the A1200 to have a couple of ram expansion slots on board both for chip and fast ram. That way, the retail cost wouldn't be much higher and a basic expansion would be much cheaper than buying a full-fledged card plus possibility for more chip ram. More hardware sprites for AGA would be nice as well. More use of the second fire button and a better SF2 port would've gone a long way too. Which, in turn, was just a part of a bigger problem, attracting Japanese game developers and have them do good ports for the system instead of relying on (ie) US GOLD and its incompetent developer teams.

But are those real regrets? Not really. I've had (and still have) so much fun with my miggy, there's no regret about it, none at all!
Old 28 July 2015, 11:33   #186
-Acid-

I regret not being introduced to the Amiga until 1992. Arrived so late to the good times
Old 28 July 2015, 23:35   #187
DisposableHero

The slow pace of upgrades, and the difficulty in upgrading A500s and A600s. The A600 was a terrible mistake, once they realised it'd cost more than the 500+ it should have been binned, not released as a replacement. Maybe an A500+B (or something less clunky) with the Surface Mounted Teschnology (but a workaround to support accelerators), the internal hard drive mounting and perhaps PCMCIA support (as well as, not instead of, the edge connector - too many companies had their hard work wasted through no fault of their own).

The second big regret leads off this - AGA instead of AAA. I suspect that only having the A600 at the base level may have panicked Commodore into not delaying the A1200 until it was fully ready. Just think - a mid-late 1993 launch with plenty of software ready and hardware capable of taking on the PC and the top consoles - integrated 030, 4Mb, multi-button controller (like the CD32's but usable), CD drive available on launch maybe a £700 price point but so much potential.

The third is the niggling compatibility issues from model to model, but especially how many games only supported a 68000, especially when the copy protection was to blame. Anyone upgrading to an A1200 had to throw away a third of their collections, maybe more if a lot of it was older (or, in my case, keep the A500 to play those games, under the dubious excuse of giving it to my younger brother, rather than selling it and spending the money on new games or CDs or sweets.
Old 29 July 2015, 20:03   #188
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't regret anything, except the Amiga is 30 years old
Old 30 July 2015, 18:13   #189
kamelito
Zone Friend

That the original Los Gatos team plan for the Amiga have been stopped by CBM.
Kamelito
Old 01 August 2015, 15:26   #190
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
That the original Los Gatos team plan for the Amiga have been stopped by CBM.
Kamelito
Me too !