English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 May 2020, 09:29   #181
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
This people in my opinion want the moon on the garden table (read machine based on custom chips amiga style based on the original chipset) AND an affordable price, that got told in other threads is simply not feasible lately.
It's like the people in classical music that say that "if you don't listen to Bach on period instruments, with period tunings, with period clothing and candlelight, then it ain't Bach".
Old 14 May 2020, 10:15   #182
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
And some people seem to be happy with plain old IBrowse. Doesn't make my original point invalid (even if I was exaggerating a bit).
That exaggeration and the resulting dichotomous view is the problem here, though.

If something is good enough for 80% to 90% of what you will do, I'd say that will keep most (99%?) people happy and content using it.

Off course it would be great if you could be up to the edge of modern technology and run crazy shaded 3D games in your browser. But saying anything less than that is of no use is counterproductive.
Old 14 May 2020, 10:26   #183
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
If something is good enough for 80% to 90% of what you will do, I'd say that will keep most (99%?) people happy and content using it.
If by "most (99%)" you're referring to NG Amiga users, then I might agree as they're already used to limiting the things they can use their machines for.

But we can agree to disagree here, as I don't think this discussion will go anywhere.
Old 14 May 2020, 10:31   #184
dreadnought

You can explain a lot of things with "the haters!" angle, not just in this thread but regarding any criticism anywhere on the web. Imo reality usually isn't that simplistic though. And "hate" is a very strong word, or perhaps used to be.

Regarding Vampire, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that these units are very pricey and probably won't be a solution for the majority of Amiga fans. It's neither bias nor hate but a fact of life. As for "but is it an Amiga?", well, it becomes slightly metaphysical, nothing set in stone, and anybody is entitled to an opinion. It seems like one of these things which is entirely dependent on the speaker's outlook so there is no right or wrong angle.

It's similar in regard to the OP. Now, of course, anybody can do whatever they please with their money and pursue any hobby they like. Yet, this is a discussion forum, so questioning the wisdom of spending thousands of dollars and coding man-hours on what seems to be a dead end is not necessarily hate but maybe a reality check. Sometimes it's good to step back, reasses the situation and perhaps divert the resources elsewhere.

So, no, I neither hate the Vampire nor the PPC, I simply have some critical opinions about them
Old 14 May 2020, 11:04   #185
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
If by "most (99%)" you're referring to NG Amiga users
On the contrary (I don't even use an "NG" Amiga).

These 99% I am referring to are just the majority of people using the internet, imo.
My guess is most people do social media and streaming.

If you got that covered, you are fine.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:11   #186
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
If you got that covered, you are fine.
Choppy youtube and, for example, Spotify not working doesn't exactly sound like things are covered though, right?

As in, most people are going to wonder why some stuff doesn't work and the rest is just sooooo slow.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:18   #187
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
This people in my opinion want the moon on the garden table (read machine based on custom chips amiga style based on the original chipset) AND an affordable price, that got told in other threads is simply not feasible lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
It's like the people in classical music that say that "if you don't listen to Bach on period instruments, with period tunings, with period clothing and candlelight, then it ain't Bach".
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Regarding Vampire, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that these units are very pricey and probably won't be a solution for the majority of Amiga fans. It's neither bias nor hate but a fact of life. As for "but is it an Amiga?", well, it becomes slightly metaphysical, nothing set in stone, and anybody is entitled to an opinion. It seems like one of these things which is entirely dependent on the speaker's outlook so there is no right or wrong angle.
I kind of view it like this (warning: silly over-the-top analogy incoming )

The Amiga community is like a community of people who love an old, (mostly) defunct car brand:
  • There will be people who yearn for the glory of ages past and want to see the brand take over the world
  • There will be people who accept the brand is mostly dead, but focus on the future: they want new cars, even if the engine is all different or some self assembly is required
  • There will be those who love their classic cars and want to keep tinkering with them, they're not interested in new stuff
  • There will be those who love the classic cars, but would really love a new production run. Just so they have a fully working and brand new old model car again (even though they understand it's never going to happen)
  • Some even want "military spec" cars to be made
  • And probably some more groups I left out
And while these different groups of all agree that the love the old brand, they all do so for different reasons. Often times the different groups don't understand each other at all. Which sometimes leads to confusing, misunderstanding and friction. In short, it's almost like real life

My conclusion: I don't think anyone actually hates the Vampire (I certainly don't), but I also think it's not for all of the groups I mentioned above.