English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2024, 13:39   #181
atalante

Wow, what you wrote is really impressive. And could you check the “Muscles” demo by Impulse to see if it passes all the way through? On my MIST FPGA it runs without any problem, but on Firebird it crashes right at the beginning.
Old 05 June 2024, 13:45   #182
Calabazam

A current non technical advice from me, having both Vampire V1200 V2 and PiStorm32 lite with rpi3a+.

Everything or almost everything works now with Pistorm. Power shown in Quake/Quake2/DarkForces is unmatched. PCTask flies. Shapeshifter though as an issue and is very slow.

About Vampire V1200 v2, from Core 2.15+, everything works. Quake/Quake2/DarkForces really fast. PCTask is unstable. Shapeshifter flies.

On general use, to me, the Vampire system seems snappier, probably because of the maximalized bandwitch.

For now, i still rate the Vampire V2 1200 the best accelerator i have used on an Amiga. PiStorm32 is closing.

As for price for money, Vampire V2 1200 can be bought new from Majsta around 350 euros these days. PiStorm32 lite + RPI3a+ should be around 150 euros now that there is no more chip crisis for RPi.

The FlameThrower module would be awesome if it can do 50 Hz, scanlines, etc.
Old 05 June 2024, 13:52   #183
atalante

Thank you for your feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05 June 2024, 14:23   #184
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalante View Post
Wow, what you wrote is really impressive. And could you check the “Muscles” demo by Impulse to see if it passes all the way through? On my MIST FPGA it runs without any problem, but on Firebird it crashes right at the beginning.
Yes, it is working pretty much flawlessly when using Emucontrol ICNT=1 CCRD=0 options (effectively turning JIT off) before demo is run.
Old 05 June 2024, 14:38   #185
atalante

Great, thanks for checking this out.
Old 05 June 2024, 14:48   #186
klx300r

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Yes, it is working pretty much flawlessly when using Emucontrol ICNT=1 CCRD=0 options (effectively turning JIT off) before demo is run.
Where is Emucontrol using OS3.2? Or do I just enter that in the Icon info screen of the demo exe
Old 05 June 2024, 15:00   #187
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
Where is Emucontrol using OS3.2? Or do I just enter that in the Icon info screen of the demo exe
Emucontrol usually goes into C: ... you can get it from https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68-tools/releases .

Then you need to start it before the demo starts, usually you would have this in a newely created script. Or just open CLI and enter Emucontrol ICNT=1 CCRD=0 then start the demo the usual way.
Old 05 June 2024, 23:46   #188
klx300r

@tomcat666

Thanks
Old 16 June 2024, 16:57   #189
blackcornflake

Can anyone advise on the difference between adding a Model 4 vs a CM4 to a PiStorm32 Lite? I understand that the CM4 requires an expansion add-on, but I'm lost on which route is actually best. Does one offer anything that the other doesn't?
Old 16 June 2024, 18:29   #190
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcornflake View Post
Can anyone advise on the difference between adding a Model 4 vs a CM4 to a PiStorm32 Lite? I understand that the CM4 requires an expansion add-on, but I'm lost on which route is actually best. Does one offer anything that the other doesn't?
CM4 runs cooler than the Pi4, but needs cooling to do it. Which sounds odd, but when the CM4 has cooling attached it runs at 30 to 45C under load while the Pi4 often idles at 70C. The CM4 can be overclocked to 2.2GHz when cooled without any issues. The Pi4 will also need cooling to be overclocked for any length of time.

The breakout board for the CM4 adds an HDMI, Ethernet and USB socket to the exterior scsi hole at the back of the 1200 which makes things nice and tidy. Also adds the ability to attach a really cheap realtime clock.

TLDR; The Pi4 will run just as well, but the CM4 just brings a few more niceties to the table.
Old 16 June 2024, 19:07   #191
blackcornflake

Thanks Dunny. May your seat never experience any unexpected lateral movement.
Old 16 June 2024, 19:15   #192
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
CM4 runs cooler than the Pi4, but needs cooling to do it. Which sounds odd, but when the CM4 has cooling attached it runs at 30 to 45C under load while the Pi4 often idles at 70C. The CM4 can be overclocked to 2.2GHz when cooled without any issues. The Pi4 will also need cooling to be overclocked for any length of time.

The breakout board for the CM4 adds an HDMI, Ethernet and USB socket to the exterior scsi hole at the back of the 1200 which makes things nice and tidy. Also adds the ability to attach a really cheap realtime clock.

TLDR; The Pi4 will run just as well, but the CM4 just brings a few more niceties to the table.
Quote:
Thanks Dunny. May your seat never experience any unexpected lateral movement.

I have three brand new spanking new assemblies available here:

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...92&postcount=1

Still to finish assembly & post on my Gmail Pics account but Idle in a desktop with active fan/heatsink combo @ 2.3Ghz is 38-40 DegC
Old 16 June 2024, 20:57   #193
Calabazam

Quote:

Could you tell what you mean by cooling here (heatsink, fan or both) and show some suitable cooling elements?
I would like to change my RPi3a for a CM4 but i would prefer a TinyCM4 addon rather than the breakout board (ethernet seems useless with wifi, and the usb port is better connected to a freeway/subway). The HD Led header is neat though because i think there is no way to solder something to a RPI4 or CMA, unlike the RPI3 pp13.
Old Yesterday, 00:26   #194
Dunny

Cooling for a Pi4 (should you decide to overclock) would likely be passive or active - a heatsink or a fan. The Pi4 can manage without any cooling if you don't overclock, but it tends to idle at around 75C - which is perfectly fine and well within its tolerance.

The CM4 needs cooling at all times. Some use passive cooling, but most (and myself) prefer a fan. I use this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0924L5YSD and it works flawlessly - my CM4 is overclocked to 2.2 GHz and never gets above about 50C (though in general use hovers around 35 to 40C). The fan is silent.

As for the TinyCM4 addon, I can't comment - I have never used one and I have no idea if it would be compatible with the PiStorm32Lite. You should probably ask on the PiStorm discord to be sure. I prefer the official board because of the HDMI socket routed to the back of the Amiga.

HDD LED can be soldered to a Pi4 without any additional expansions for it - just make sure you solder to the upper side of the ACT LED.
Old Yesterday, 09:02   #195
Jope
-

Quote:
Personally this is the greatest benefit of the CM carrier board. Modifying my wedge amiga and having a rat's nest of usb / hdmi cables coiled up in there is not very appealing.
Old Yesterday, 10:30   #196
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Could you tell what you mean by cooling here (heatsink, fan or both) and show some suitable cooling elements? I would like to change my RPi3a for a CM4 but i would prefer a TinyCM4 addon rather than the breakout board (ethernet seems useless with wifi, and the usb port is better connected to a freeway/subway). The HD Led header is neat though because i think there is no way to solder something to a RPI4 or CMA, unlike the RPI3 pp13.
I have an old TinyCM4 board, switched to breakout board. Due to TinyCM4 mounting over side of pistorm, meaning it touches the keyboard.
I had to mount a slim heatsink and side blowing fan (against heatsink covering m.2 slot). Kept cool. Just so much eaiser with breakout board Pistorm adapter. You can get them on their own without breakout board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
with active fan/heatsink combo @ 2.3Ghz is 38-40 DegC
No one seems to mention, the Warning command in config. If its set to 0 or 1, CPU is throttled. You have to set it to 2, to disable Throttling.

It was driving me nuts, that it would throttle and take 4 mins to boot. Then I found warning command by mistake and since then, it runs full speed all day long and around 50 degs (even underload).

Quote:
The CM4 needs cooling at all times. Some use passive cooling, but most (and myself) prefer a fan. I use this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0924L5YSD and it works flawlessly - my CM4 is overclocked to 2.2 GHz and never gets above about 50C (though in general use hovers around 35 to 40C). The fan is silent.

HDD LED can be soldered to a Pi4 without any additional expansions for it - just make sure you solder to the upper side of the ACT LED.
I bet you can get it up higher, . Mine tops out at 2.5GHz.
I did same with led, however, people have to be careful when soldering to those tiny leds. They can easily be destroyed, if pulled.
Old Yesterday, 10:59   #197
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I bet you can get it up higher, . Mine tops out at 2.5GHz.
I probably can but I already have an effectively up to 2GHz Amiga and I'm pretty ok with that!

Quote:
I did same with led, however, people have to be careful when soldering to those tiny leds. They can easily be destroyed, if pulled.
Yep, another vote for the CM4 with its much easier to solder LED pad
Old Yesterday, 12:32   #198
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Yep, another vote for the CM4 with its much easier to solder LED pad
are they still as rare and unobtainable as unicorn shit?
Old Yesterday, 12:38   #199
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
It's a lot easier to find one now than it was a year ago.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspbe...39486529601731
Old Yesterday, 13:18   #200
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Quite a few makers live on the PiStorm Discord server. I bought mine from a chap called Fletch and it was a superb job. Check the for sale notices on there, I guess.