English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 June 2014, 23:52   #181
nujack
Zone Friend

Yes try to restore the data from the old drive. There are some possibilities to restore data from defect drives.
Backups are very important. I lost a lot of data when my pc was stolen in China during a business trip.
Old 08 June 2014, 17:29   #182
amigoun

I think if the hddrive doesnt make noise and does not detect itself correctly, replacing electronic psb part of the hdd with the identical one may solve the trouble.
Old 22 June 2014, 16:05   #183
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Yes, I must underline the fact that a broken HDD is not a complete failure if somehow you can find the exact same drive you can remove the PCD from the 'new' drive and it will hopefully fix the 'old' drive. Please dont throw it away. If anything, please give it to someone like Prowler to take care of it for you as I know he is a wizard when it comes to repairing things like, erm, Alien Bash 2.

I think your plan to have a backbone-type 3D game creator for 68k Amiga is an opportunity this community cannot afford to miss just when such a great thing was in development. Run a kickstarter to fund repair of your HDD if you need to do that, and fund your medical bills and development of the game. All is not lost as long as you still have that HDD, and as an ex-PC hardware engineer I know nothing is beyond repair.
Old 22 September 2014, 20:09   #184
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

One of the most impressive 3D engines I'v ever seen on Amiga hardware.
How sad to see a project like this die because of a broken hdd....
Old 28 September 2014, 20:29   #185
Lord Riton

Has anyone some experience with HD recovery software, like this one: http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/...y-software.htm ?
Old 28 September 2014, 21:39   #186
zipper

Yes, recovered data from a badly corrupted Win8 games HD partition and got back over 90% - the rest was written on but I had other backups to replace the corrupted games. But going thru about 600 GB took a day or more. And just because of USB3 drive that won't disconnect safely on Windows 8 when moved to another laptop.
Old 29 September 2014, 01:33   #187
Lord Riton

Ok. Do you think i can download this one safely ? (see link above)

Or do you (or someone else) have a better link with a better program maybe ? I don't want to get some virus or other stupid trojans on my new PC.
Old 10 October 2014, 22:50   #188
Lord Riton

I used "GetDataBack" which i've read is one of the best of such recovery programs. Got only errors, did let it run quit a while, but it got only bad sectors. Guess it is the HD himself that is broken, eventough the PC finds it and the program could give out infos on it.

To resume: All is lost.

I've tought about writing a new 3D engine for QoN, even befor the HD "accident" already. Maybe i'll try to really create it now...
Old 07 December 2014, 11:50   #189
aszu

Please, do
Old 08 December 2014, 11:14   #190
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Best of luck with your new engine, Lord Riton!

Remember that you can sync your HDF on Dropbox or something similar
Old 22 December 2014, 23:10   #191
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I know this is too late, but everyone should make backups - especially programmers. Harddrives can fail at any time, for various reasons.

I always make weekly backup of new/updated files to memory stick, and then every 2 months I make backups to DVD. With the amount of data you can get on BluRay discs (I am assuming BluRay writers are available) there is no excuse for not backing up critical files on a regular basis. (DVD's hold somewhere between 5GB and 10GB, whilst BluRay discs hold 25GB (single sided) and 50GB (dual layer)).

Lord Riton, I hope you do attempt to redo it. I have lost code before (I saved a corrupt source file over my original! ), so I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 23 December 2014, 03:17   #192
Lord Riton

You remember me some great "playing" book series i did read when i was much younger.. Lonewolf from Joe Dever. Loved that

About the backups: Yes you are correct, i'm an idiot....
Old 23 December 2014, 10:26   #193
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
I used "GetDataBack" which i've read is one of the best of such recovery programs. Got only errors, did let it run quit a while, but it got only bad sectors. Guess it is the HD himself that is broken, eventough the PC finds it and the program could give out infos on it.

To resume: All is lost.
Was it a Windows formatted HD? Was it FAT or NTFS? There are two different versions of GetDataBack around, one for FAT one for NTFS

I've often worked on completely borked HDs and I can assure you that when the damage is mechanical, GetDataBack won't even finish. You'll hear a loud click or some whirring noises from the HD and that's it.

If it does finish, but only spouts out gibberish, there's still hope for the data! (I don't know why I didn't think of this before)
Old 24 December 2014, 02:17   #194
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Was it a Windows formatted HD? Was it FAT or NTFS? There are two different versions of GetDataBack around, one for FAT one for NTFS

I've often worked on completely borked HDs and I can assure you that when the damage is mechanical, GetDataBack won't even finish. You'll hear a loud click or some whirring noises from the HD and that's it.

If it does finish, but only spouts out gibberish, there's still hope for the data! (I don't know why I didn't think of this before)
I did read about the 2 diferent versions too. Used the correct one, it just gets in what seems an endless process, and gets stuck affter a while. have to alt+F4 it, or even worse if i remember, it seems to bfreak my Windows 8.1 and i have to use the buton on my PC... good job Micro$oft
Old 24 December 2014, 10:28   #195
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
I did read about the 2 diferent versions too. Used the correct one, it just gets in what seems an endless process, and gets stuck affter a while. have to alt+F4 it, or even worse if i remember, it seems to bfreak my Windows 8.1 and i have to use the buton on my PC... good job Micro$oft
Okay, if that happens then there are some serious read errors (probably hardware failure) on the hardware

There are some tricks to recovering the data, like putting the drive in a freezer which might be worth it as a last shot!

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a...-freezer-redux
Old 01 February 2015, 00:00   #196
mjnurney

any news on the game? looks great
Old 02 February 2015, 04:45   #197
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
any news on the game? looks great
If you would have read a fiew of the the posts befor yours, you would have known that the code for QoN got lost in a Harddrive "accident".

In fact, only the latest versions got lost. Happily i had the source code saved on sourceforge, but never updated it along with the exécutables, so the source code is about a month or 2 of work behind compared to the latest executable version we can DL on SF.

The project is on hold atm, and since a longer while, for several reasons. There are no plans on when i can continue it. One day maybe, i hope ...
Old 03 February 2015, 00:16   #198
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Lord Riton

Maybe crowdfunding it might give more stimulus, just dont know how much cash is available in the Amiga scene nowadays...
Old 03 February 2015, 03:35   #199
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
@Lord Riton

Maybe crowdfunding it might give more stimulus, just dont know how much cash is available in the Amiga scene nowadays...
You already said this i think, or was it someone else (?)

I seriously doubt there is enough interest for a new Amiga game, but even if there was, i'm just a "one man" programmer, who has no clue about how to use such ressources if they were there.

But the main reason i can't continue the project, is my healthness. All the crowdfunding in the world couldn't change this ...

I said it befor, if people wanted to continue it in my place, the sources files are on sourceforge, even if not up to date, you can assemble the program entierly with just them and an assembler. There is in fact not to much things to do to bring them to the actual state, just 1 or 2 bugs to fix.

The main code i changed between the last version and the version on SF was not used yet in the executable anyway. I was totally redoing the keyboard handling, and it was done even, but i didn't have the time to update it on SFs exécutables, the HD accident happened just befor i came to do it.