English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 November 2006, 13:45   #181
Ultron
Something

I don't find Shillards posts "insulting and patronising at all", i find them lucid and rational.

What's really insulting, particularly from the intelectual stand point, is the continual insistence on the reductionism of the Amiga issue to a religious zealotry crusade, where the prophets of the knights order of the "two more weeks" shriek histerically that all is "on schedule and rockin'!" to the remaining dozen of sworded, blind, true believers.

If anything this faith based zealotry has probably pushed away hundreds of Amiga users, who, to be fully honest, are just plain turned off by the veritable insanity that seems to permeate the 30 guys who're still expecting for "Amiga hardware" in 2006, 2007, 2008, heck, who the hell knows by now, the fantasy changes every fortnight.

Thanks to these guys, the Amiga brand has become synosnym with a world wide anectode, a playground for the vapourware inclined, fraudesters, brand vampires, and the just plain simply deluded beyond the gullability of a three year old child.

In fact, some of these people's insanities and the inane propositions they supported, completely, totally, and absolutely killed of any chance the Amiga had of a resurgence. Every single, incompetent, visionless, impotent, and technically ignorant proposition that came forth: they supported it, blindly.

Now, the opportunity for a credible company, one that could answer Shillards questions and prove its technical and financial ability, is gone. The Amiga is dead. Period. But i guess some will prefer to run around covering it's ears, then eyes, and pretend it's still 1994. Oh, and heaven forfend someone tells them it's 06 going on 2007!
Old 11 November 2006, 13:50   #182
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Such as?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm reading a different thread to you, but I haven't found anything irrational. A few examples of what you think are irrational, deluded etc. posts would be good.
Really? Ok:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Rational people dont run the world, Rational people dont invent new ideas, Rational people dont succeed.. Irrational people do things no one else will, and come up with those new ideas and solutions, while the rational people live life in mediocre thoughts and become bitter.
Old 11 November 2006, 14:25   #183
Marcuz

Shillard' posts are very good to me, as long as he don't goes 1 on 1 against blade0002, (just to make an exemple) as about their antipathy, i couldn't care less.
they are useful (as much as many others by other members) to DiscreetFX too, because, hey we are potential end users of their product, why should we not politely say what we would like?
that said, noone has asked for business lessons, from anyobody. that's not between the reasons that the majority of users of EAB log in.
however, people, let's stop taking sides here, there's no point in it. let people who want to dream do it and people who want to do businness, do it outside the bonduary of the board, not because it's not wanted here, but because this is not the place for an healty and profitable talk of that matters.

everybody has sad his piece i think, and still DiscreetFX has not closed any deal. let's close this thread and if and when DiscreetFX come out with something tangible, i'm sure Pyromania will let us know.
Old 11 November 2006, 16:36   #184
Pyromania

@shillard

While we are not interested in discussing our business plan, I will tell you this. Apple almost died a few years back and what saved them was bringing back their founder. You might love or hate Steve Jobs but he saved Apple from certain death. Now they are enjoying great success, even going after some of the Amiga's once exclusive markets like low end video production. Part of the DiscreetFX plan is to seek out and hire some of the original Amiga team if they are interested. No one was more passionate or Amiga gun hoe than Carl, RJ, David Needle Etc. If we are able to hire one or more of the first Amiga greats they will help form the new Amiga plan. Also, it is of great interest to DiscreetFX to help get to market retro Amiga 500's in a joystick or maybe even a sub $100 AGA+ mini Amiga that uses flash drives to build the brand once again. Another idea is to have Amiga OS 4.0 running on cell phones, that market becomes more computer like every day and it is much larger than the PC market even when Apple, Linux and everyone else is thrown in. An Amiga Tivo type device is also something DiscreetFX would love to do.

Last edited by Pyromania; 12 November 2006 at 14:02.
Old 11 November 2006, 17:24   #185
dirkies
Zone Friend

only Elvis can save the Amiga...!

so let's just ignore these announcements, it is all rubbish, Amiga lives on in WinUAE, which is free. Anyone who tries to make a buck out of a dead body should be ignored. Maybe someday we will have an Amiga on a U3 alike USB stick, or as Pyro says, embedded in a joystick, but that is about the only future I see for Amiga, all the rest is just BS. Even the latest Amiga things have nothing to do anymore with Amiga. It stopped at OS 3.9 (I personally see KS 3.1 as the true last Amiga version, OS3.9 was a patch of KS3.1 made by some organized enthusiasts, not a company, it never was released as a hardware chip to start with)

Last edited by dirkies; 11 November 2006 at 17:31.
Old 12 November 2006, 08:30   #186
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania
Part of the DiscreetFX plan is to seek out and hired some of the original Amiga team if they are interested. No one was more passionate or Amiga gun hoe than Carl, RJ, David Needle Etc.
So will David Pleasance get a gig???

Quote:
Also, it is of great interest to DiscreetFX to help get to market retro Amiga 500's in a joystick or maybe even a sub $100 AGA+ mini Amiga that uses flash drives to build the brand once again.
Something like this would be cool, as long as you could play the ADF's straight off the flash card and straight into TV. I'd lay out the cash for that.
Old 12 November 2006, 20:49   #187
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
While I agree there are many more cell phones then computers being made and sold the OS that they run on is simple and cheap compared to what runs on a desktop, where is the profit?
Old 12 November 2006, 20:57   #188
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Better as decided by the public?

The public have a rather alarming habit of being coerced into buying inferior products.

Betamax superior to VHS = VHS the victor

Just one example where the public decided what was 'better'. A product can be the best no matter what the public think, its just getting them to buy it is the problem!
The public buys what is good enough at a cheap enough price. I don't like compressed music (mp3's) instead I collect full WAV files but the vast majority of people either can't tell the difference or play the music back of shitty headphones so they do not care plus they can fit more songs on their players. The world does not revolve around the few people who will spend more on the slightly better product AKA the "high end" , it revolves around the masses who will pay for the good enough at a reasonable price.

VHS won over BETA because it was good enough, was cheaper (more then one company was making the players), and video rentals were all on VHS (took a while for BETA to be able to fit a whole movie on one tape). So in the end it was content, price, and convenience that won out. SVHS came out later in the game and was better then VHS but since most people just watched rented tapes (and you could not get SVHS movie tapes) it never went anywhere. It took the creation of DVD (and DVD rentals) to raise the bar on what is good enough to get people to switch.
Old 13 November 2006, 03:37   #189
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, it is of great interest to DiscreetFX to help get to market retro Amiga 500's in a joystick or maybe even a sub $100 AGA+ mini Amiga that uses flash drives to build the brand once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy
Something like this would be cool, as long as you could play the ADF's straight off the flash card and straight into TV. I'd lay out the cash for that.
i dunno.... cool-ish, but whdload would still be the way to go! (some of us hate ADFs you know :P )

i prefered Zetro's idea regarding a PSP type thing (then with TV out??) ... but i would afterall... i love pspuae!
Old 13 November 2006, 04:44   #190
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
@shillard

While we are not interested in discussing our business plan, I will tell you this. Apple almost died a few years back and what saved them was bringing back their founder. You might love or hate Steve Jobs but he saved Apple from certain death. Now they are enjoying great success, even going after some of the Amiga's once exclusive markets like low end video production. Part of the DiscreetFX plan is to seek out and hire some of the original Amiga team if they are interested. No one was more passionate or Amiga gun hoe than Carl, RJ, David Needle Etc. If we are able to hire one or more of the first Amiga greats they will help form the new Amiga plan. Also, it is of great interest to DiscreetFX to help get to market retro Amiga 500's in a joystick or maybe even a sub $100 AGA+ mini Amiga that uses flash drives to build the brand once again. Another idea is to have Amiga OS 4.0 running on cell phones, that market becomes more computer like every day and it is much larger than the PC market even when Apple, Linux and everyone else is thrown in. An Amiga Tivo type device is also something DiscreetFX would love to do.
Dude I applaud you in all your efforts. If I had the money, I would try and do the same.
Old 13 November 2006, 10:14   #191
shillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
I think we have a record.

Congratulations, Shillard. Registered Sept 2006 and you've pissed the most people off in the shortest time ever.

I've managed two - so the previous record was only one?
Old 13 November 2006, 10:17   #192
shillard

Quote:
@shillard

Part of the DiscreetFX plan is to seek out and hire some of the original Amiga team if they are interested. No one was more passionate or Amiga gun hoe than Carl, RJ, David Needle Etc. If we are able to hire one or more of the first Amiga greats they will help form the new Amiga plan. Also, it is of great interest to DiscreetFX to help get to market retro Amiga 500's in a joystick or maybe even a sub $100 AGA+ mini Amiga that uses flash drives to build the brand once again. Another idea is to have Amiga OS 4.0 running on cell phones, that market becomes more computer like every day and it is much larger than the PC market even when Apple, Linux and everyone else is thrown in. An Amiga Tivo type device is also something DiscreetFX would love to do.

Finally - a bit of sense.

Plan A (hire old hands) is sound.

Plan B (A500 in a stick, mini AGA, etc) is great - if you can get the licneses for sufficient games to make it attractive, and churn them out REAL cheap. They'll sell by the bucketload, and give you a cash cow to fund development of whatever it is you're planning to develop.

But mobile phones? Nokia, HP, etc, will crucify you.
Old 13 November 2006, 12:54   #193
JonSick

Fact is Amiga is gaining in popularity right now. Amiga prices on ebay are going up. I bought an amiga a few weeks ago from someone here. Neglecting the fact I've been away and its still sitting in the box at my parents house (picking up tonight, WOOHOO), the main point is I bought another one after years not even thinking about it.

All the people who were into amiga in the old days were most likely secondary/high school kids who were probably in the midst of GCSE or A-Level. IBM/PC was just some cack that infested our school libraries - Amiga was the real deal.

Now all these people have grown up, had a disposable income now they're in gainful employment and some are digging out their old Amiga boxes, or in some cases buying second hand amigas off ebay - reflected as the prices are now going up. You can't say this about any other platform: Amstrad, Dragon, TRS80, Atari... they just do not reach the same prices second-hand!

How do I know these people are getting back into it? I know because I am one! As I'm sure many people here are. Even Galahad, I remember still seeing his name written on some cracktros. (Nice to see you about!)

If Amiga Technologies brought out a console tomorrow, would I buy it? Don't know... I'd be damn interested and would feel a little nostalgic having something new with an Amiga logo on it, but depends if its any good...

So the target market is there... the product ideal is there... it just depends if this guy knows his arse from his elbow and has the capital to go for it!

Jon
Old 13 November 2006, 15:41   #194
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillard
Finally - a bit of sense.
But mobile phones? Nokia, HP, etc, will crucify you.
Not if Nokia is a partner.
Old 13 November 2006, 16:01   #195
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

You mean to buy Nokia? But how?
Old 13 November 2006, 18:14   #196
snowman040

Another movie ?
Old 14 November 2006, 05:21   #197
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSick

So the target market is there... the product ideal is there... it just depends if this guy knows his arse from his elbow and has the capital to go for it!

Jon
.....a pitifully miniscule market. That is a factor the person must take into consideration.
Old 14 November 2006, 05:48   #198
Unknown_K

Even with an A500 in a joystick (which would suck for games that needed a mouse and keyboard) you would be competing with people who have a modded XBOX with an Amiga emulater and the games that were released for the gameboy handhelds etc.

While there seems to be interest in old Amiga games, I wonder how much $$$ people would spend for the hardware when they can just play them on their current PC for free.
Old 14 November 2006, 11:56   #199
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
While there seems to be interest in old Amiga games, I wonder how much $$$ people would spend for the hardware when they can just play them on their current PC for free.
It's an interesting point. I think you have to take PC savvy people out of the equation, along with those who have only just started to use computers.

That only leaves a selection of people who would like to play old Amiga games but are incapable of working out that they can use their PC, are too lazy or it is beyond them. People like us on this board aren't going to throw away our RTG based installed with WHDLoad'd games for the sake of a joystick with some games on it. Not to mention that often these products are packed with shitty games because the company in question couldn't get/afford the rights to decent games.

That market must be pretty small, if it exists at all.

On another note, I'm fairly sure a lot more horsepower would be required in comparison to, say, the joysticks with early Atari games on them. I don't see that it's possible to make a return when the hardware would actually need to be pretty swanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
which would suck for games that needed a mouse and keyboard
...and that, unless I'm much mistaken, rules out quite a few of the popular 'top 100' Amiga games.

Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Civilization anyone?
Old 15 November 2006, 01:48   #200
StarEye
Zone Friend

Give it a couple of USB ports to connect any mice and keyboard, and a feature to connect it to a tv for full screen gaming goodness. Optional touchpad and keyboard set sold seperately. Miniature, of course. Like those miniature surround sets for the PSP. Left and Right shoulderbutton assigned as left and right mouse button.

With a bit of genious design, it could work.