English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 06 December 2022, 07:02   #181
solaris104

HID2AMI has arrived, will there be a stl shell case for version 2.0?
Old 06 December 2022, 12:46   #182
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris104 View Post
HID2AMI has arrived, will there be a stl shell case for version 2.0?

Not yet, but it will be soon !
Old 25 December 2022, 21:30   #183
Sgw32

Hi Sampedenawa and Merry Christmas to everyone!

I've built a small batch of HID2AMI devices(10 pcs)
I want to test them so it would be great to have firmware from you as it is described in the instructions.
What do I need to do to get it? Thanks!
Old 27 December 2022, 13:46   #184
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgw32 View Post
Hi Sampedenawa and Merry Christmas to everyone!

I've built a small batch of HID2AMI devices(10 pcs)
I want to test them so it would be great to have firmware from you as it is described in the instructions.
What do I need to do to get it? Thanks!

Sent you a PM with all instructions !

In the meantime, I released a free shellcase model, fitting V2 boards.

Here's the link:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5746718
Old 28 December 2022, 00:13   #185
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

@Sampedenawa

Just wanted to ask:
I have an adapter that plugs into the parallel port of the Amiga that adds 2 additional joystick ports for 4 player games like Dyna Blaster and Super Skidmarks. Can the HID2AMI adapters be plugged into them without damage to the Amiga's parallel port or the HID2AMI adapters? Thanks bud.

EDIT: I am using a Joyport Xpander from KMTech and according to his instructions it can deliver 5v up to 10mA in total. If I require more than 10mA then I need to connect a separate 5v power supply to a jumper that is on the adapter board. Would 2x HID2AMI adapters connected to it use more than 10mA?

Last edited by sean_sk; 28 December 2022 at 00:36.
Old 28 December 2022, 08:26   #186
solaris104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampedenawa;

In the meantime, I released a free shellcase model, fitting V2 boards.

Here's the link:

[URL
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5746718[/URL]

Thank You :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221228_082302.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	77561  
Old 28 December 2022, 18:57   #187
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
@Sampedenawa

Just wanted to ask:
I have an adapter that plugs into the parallel port of the Amiga that adds 2 additional joystick ports for 4 player games like Dyna Blaster and Super Skidmarks. Can the HID2AMI adapters be plugged into them without damage to the Amiga's parallel port or the HID2AMI adapters? Thanks bud.

EDIT: I am using a Joyport Xpander from KMTech and according to his instructions it can deliver 5v up to 10mA in total. If I require more than 10mA then I need to connect a separate 5v power supply to a jumper that is on the adapter board. Would 2x HID2AMI adapters connected to it use more than 10mA?

Your speculations are correct; in fact the parallel port does not supply any +5v output, but small boards can make use of a +5V pullup on pin 24 and drag up to 10mA of current (at risk).

Power needs of HID2AMI are around that figure, BUT you have to add the power needs by the joypads, which could be far higher (old amiga joysticks/pads were passive swichtes, they didn't need any power).

So, the correct solution is the one suggested by KMTech: switch to external +5V power and you'll be able to safely add the two HID2AMI+Joypads to the par port by that adapter

Last edited by sampedenawa; 28 December 2022 at 19:07.
Old 28 December 2022, 19:00   #188
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris104 View Post
Thank You :-)

Wow, you were blazingly fast !!!
And good print as well

Did you print the upper half with the external face (the one with H2A logo) facing the printer's plate or facing the sky ?

PS: May I put your blue sample pic on my Github ?

Last edited by sampedenawa; 28 December 2022 at 19:08.
Old 28 December 2022, 19:24   #189
solaris104

I printed the logo on the printer's plate. I use texture plate and PETG filament. I have 3D printer Prusa Mini. Feel free to use the photo.
Old 29 December 2022, 01:02   #190
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampedenawa View Post
So, the correct solution is the one suggested by KMTech: switch to external +5V power and you'll be able to safely add the two HID2AMI+Joypads to the par port by that adapter
Excellent!! Thanks for your help!
Old 30 December 2022, 11:07   #191
Captain_ Kal

Late to the party, as usual , but where can I buy one?

Happy New Year to all!!
Old 30 December 2022, 11:46   #192
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ Kal View Post
Late to the party, as usual , but where can I buy one?

Happy New Year to all!!

Sent you a PM with some hints

Happy New Year !
Old 01 January 2023, 12:49   #193
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Happy New Year all.....

Is there a particular driver that works best for the mouse wheel functionality of this hardware?
Old 01 January 2023, 19:18   #194
sampedenawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Happy New Year all.....

Is there a particular driver that works best for the mouse wheel functionality of this hardware?

You need my proprietary driver on Amiga side (free on my GitHub); the driver decodes mousewheel events coming from the adapter, and reverts them to standard AmigaOS system events, which in turn are managed by middleware like Freewheel, MuiWheel, etc.
Old 02 January 2023, 08:34   #195
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Perfect, thank you.
Old 07 January 2023, 01:44   #196
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampedenawa View Post
Your speculations are correct; in fact the parallel port does not supply any +5v output, but small boards can make use of a +5V pullup on pin 24 and drag up to 10mA of current (at risk).

Power needs of HID2AMI are around that figure, BUT you have to add the power needs by the joypads, which could be far higher (old amiga joysticks/pads were passive swichtes, they didn't need any power).

Sorry, just another dumb question.

I have connected a 5v 3A PSU to the parallel-port-to-gameport adapter and everything works fine.

Apparently, PS3 controllers, with their batteries installed, have a charge current around 700mA. Obviously the Amiga won't have to deal with this since I am using an external PSU for the parallel port adapter. But I wanted to find out if the HID2AMI adapters (v1.1) can handle this? Bear in mind, I built my own and tried to use quality parts where I could (and accept all responsibility ).

Thanks again.
Old 07 January 2023, 11:30   #197
sampedenawa

Huh, good question

From the component's point of view there is no risk at all: the current requested from the charging PS3 will flow from the +5V pin on DB9 to the relevant +5V pin of the USB connector and then to the pad cirtcuitry, bypassing all HID2AMI components in place.

The matter is whether the pcb track can bear such a substained and persistent current flow.

Traces on Hid2Ami are 6mil width, so according general design rules, they can safely bear sustained 500mA current.

700mA seems to be out of design rules range, and I'll guess they could be safely bear for short periods only.

If you still have spare blank hid2ami pcbs, you could perform a simple test by assembling the DB9+USB connectors only, and then trying to fully charge a DS3 through it.

Let me know the results, I'm quite interested !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
Sorry, just another dumb question.

I have connected a 5v 3A PSU to the parallel-port-to-gameport adapter and everything works fine.

Apparently, PS3 controllers, with their batteries installed, have a charge current around 700mA. Obviously the Amiga won't have to deal with this since I am using an external PSU for the parallel port adapter. But I wanted to find out if the HID2AMI adapters (v1.1) can handle this? Bear in mind, I built my own and tried to use quality parts where I could (and accept all responsibility ).

Thanks again.
Old 07 January 2023, 15:04   #198
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Thanks again Sampedenawa!!

Seriously though, I should have just looked at the back of my controllers rather than trusting information off the internet!

I have 4x Dualshock 3 controllers and 2 of them show 300mA and 2 show 500mA. I bought each pair at separate times, so Sony must have changed the specs. So all 4 of these should be within the tolerances of the HID2AMI's traces?

I have included the photo's.

EDIT: I didn't have any spare blank boards so I just tested the controllers with my adapters and they're fine. No issues with current overload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS3_01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	77701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS3_02.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	786.8 KB
ID:	77702  

Last edited by sean_sk; 08 January 2023 at 01:48.
Old 08 January 2023, 09:44   #199
sampedenawa

Also mine says 500mA (but I never charged it through the adapter)

So the answer is yes, 6mil traces can safely bear 500mA sustained current flows without issues.

WARNING TO ALL CASUAL READERS: BEWARE to be FULLY AWARE and UNDERSTAND what you are doing if you try to replicate sean_sk's experiments!
Old 07 February 2023, 11:03   #200
sampedenawa

For those interested, I have 8 adapters available for sale on Amibay, newest board revision v2.0.2