English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 08 May 2009, 08:26   #181
Xytec

Yes installed on a 20 Gig HD on its own
Old 08 May 2009, 08:29   #182
Xytec

I was looking for sort of 'more' info, I saw that page.

I want to set it for more memory, I ran out just viewing one website?

I'd also like to install OS3.9 and Amigasys or Amikit if its possible.
Old 11 May 2009, 18:56   #183
lost_loven

to get workbench un write protected, let it load, then at workbench screen to get to the bash prompt, ctrl alt back space i was holding the shift key and not sure if it was f1 or f2 .. around there anyhow it got me to the bash prompt and i entered
init 2
chown -R knoppix:knoppix /Amiga/dir
chmod -R +w /Amiga/dir
init 5

hope this works
Old 11 May 2009, 20:55   #184
amiga

@lost_loven;

Can u tell me if KXLight supports WiFi ?
Old 12 May 2009, 04:01   #185
lost_loven

not sure, will check that out , i do have a usb wifi adapter that might work.. been since i fired it up.. between work and family time is getting narrowed down for computer time these days lol did you get the workbench unprotected?

lost
Old 12 May 2009, 18:14   #186
Xytec

Haven't got it unprotected yet.

I do CTRL-ALT-Delete at the WB Screen and it just shows the AF Installing screen (the boing ball)

I tried all sorts for an hour or so and got fed up, but will try again later
Old 12 May 2009, 23:11   #187
lost_loven

you could be still be at the bash screen, you could hit enter a bunch of time to get yerself to the bottom of the screen to see what you are typing, or just type out the list of those commands and see if it works.. i remember i did that cause it would do that a couple of times when i tried to drop to the bash screen. there was another way to change the color or background, have to look, have it printed out somewhere i think.

Lost
Old 14 May 2009, 17:17   #188
Xytec

Ok I can get the bash screen up if I slap my hands on the keyboard

But... it doesn't recognise chown or chmod says there not commands?
Old 15 May 2009, 00:01   #189
lost_loven

weird, this is the thread that i have got help on..
worked for me.. maybe different edition? 2008 i used, do the update after the install?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...kxlight&page=2

lost
Old 15 May 2009, 00:20   #190
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

New thread for KX Light please?

Coming back to AMITHLON, I can now confirm its working on my GA-EP41-UD3L mobo which is G41 based. That's (AFAIK) the most modern mobo that Amithlon works on. Have to disable SATA and use GC kernel and only 1Gb but its working, Radeon HD3850 & Vesa Mode.

I still wanna get 2Gb on my system though as I quad boot (XP, OSX, Ubuntu and Amithlon)....
Old 15 May 2009, 15:38   #191
Xytec

Yeah sorry for hijacking the thread Methanoid, I was here for Amithlon really, but can't get the bloody thing running.

Can't wait for Charlie's iso to do it (for idiots like me)
Old 21 May 2009, 01:01   #192
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

I need a modified Grub Menu.lst pls. It needs: hd0,0 win 2000 hd0,2 amithlon hd0,3 DFBSD
Old 31 May 2009, 18:51   #193
peter_j

A word of thanks to Charlie for his guide - on first attempt I got an Amithlon setup running on an old Duron box. I'm going to have another go on a second machine ( faster ) now that I have built up some confidence! Thanks!

Old 13 June 2009, 19:08   #194
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_j View Post
A word of thanks to Charlie for his guide - on first attempt I got an Amithlon setup running on an old Duron box. I'm going to have another go on a second machine ( faster ) now that I have built up some confidence! Thanks!
Hi,
Sorry for the sloooow reply. Thanks very much for your praise, I hope you're enjoying your Amithlon.
BTW:
Once you have a working setup, installing to other (compatible) systems is a doodle...
...don't go through the install process again, just image the relevant partitions with something like Acronis TrueImage & copy them right across to your new system.
Depending where your partitions end up GRUB may need a little editing and drivers for NIC, Sound, etc may need changing but that's it.

All the best.

P.S.
Any of the mods want to make a determination on distributing a full working setup? If the answer's positive I'll post a link, though that would take most of the 'fun' out of setting it up.

*Edit*
Hi Dreamcast270mhz,
How are you getting on with your install? On the subject of GRUB:
The GRUB Menu.lst will load into any old text editor, find + replace will sort out the numbers for your partitions... (HD?,?) -> (hd0,0)
While you're at it you can also delete all the irrelevant guff from my example file once you know what works for you.

Hi Xytec,
Amithlon is a genuine b*stard to install, especially if you're trying for vaguely modern hardware - if you need any advice feel free to post here or PM me.

Still waiting on permission to post links...

To all:
The 'easy' way to Amithlon is to build a dedicated system based on:
CPU - AMD Duron / Athlon (XP)(M) (Geode NX - nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
Mobo - nVidia NF2, VIA KT600 (DFI Ultra-B, Abit KV7, or similar)
RAM - Some quick DDR memory (DDR500+)
->Overclock it to buggery! (esp the memory)
GFX - AGP GF4 Ti or GF5
Sound - SB 128 or !Live
LAN - at worst you'll need an el-cheapo PCI card if the mobo one doesn't work. (see driver docs)
USB - It's gonna work but sadly Poseidon doesn't support Amithlon any more.
TURN OFF SATA support in the BIOS!
SET GRUB to support a MAX of 512mb RAM (at least until it's working)

That kind of hardware WILL cost buttons (from a skip?) AND you'll end up with the fastest, most useful 'Amiga' you could ever hope for...

Once you've done that, then move on to building a setup with more modern hardware...
...Amithlon does get seriously awkward but generally not impossible. It's just very hard to work out what's a hardware incompatibility and what's a duff setup until you've had a bit of experience.

Here's some random thoughts:
The AMD Geode NX is actually a renamed AthlonXP-M.
VIA tend to update, rather than replace their shipsets.
so
Why not look to fleaBay for Geode NX-based thin-client..? (HP t5720 anyone?)
For a 'modern' system VIA is a good place to start looking mobo-wise.

P.S.
Amithlon can be VERY picky with IGP GFX setups so don't blame me if you buy a thin client to make a cool Amiga and it doesn't work - worth a go IMO...

Last edited by Charlie; 13 June 2009 at 19:58.
Old 14 June 2009, 00:32   #195
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Any of the mods want to make a determination on distributing a full working setup? If the answer's positive I'll post a link, though that would take most of the 'fun' out of setting it up.
No it wouldnt but Mods or not.. why not post on the Box account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
CPU - AMD Duron / Athlon (XP)(M) (Geode NX - nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

The AMD Geode NX is actually a renamed AthlonXP-M.
VIA tend to update, rather than replace their shipsets.
so
Why not look to fleaBay for Geode NX-based thin-client..? (HP t5720 anyone?)
Errr SIS VGA should be OK for VESA I suppose but the LAN and Sound on that t5720? Have you got one Charlie and tried it? Is the SIS LAN and AC97 supported as there is no expandability with that machine
Old 14 June 2009, 19:42   #196
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi Methanoid,
Sadly I can't post a full setup to my Box.net account as it restricts file size to 10mb & I'm too cheep to pay for a better account. Also too lazy to post multi-part archives...
...having said that I seem to remember a FTP server that I've got full control over (well, with the other Admins permission).

I've been working all weekend on, um, work and will have to await next weekend before I have some free time again - doesn't being a grown-up suck? But, yes, why don't I post there..?
Hmm, Alpyre's frankly got a MUCH better Amithlon setup than me (I'm lazy you see). I wonder if he would consider...

On the subject of the HP t5720 I've got to admit to doing a bit of musing out loud. I haven't looked @ it hard enough to see if it's a viable Amithlon box. You can get a PCI-riser upgrade for them & possibly a GF card for it too if memory serves...
...slap a Boing-ball over the HP logo(s) & there's a modern Amiga!

Ok, so there may be better suited systems but it's worth a thought. AND I've seen t5720's go on fleaBay for £25.00 a pop when a business is having a clear out - worth a pop even if it ends up being a home network / surfing box.
Old 23 June 2009, 23:49   #197
dframeli

Anyone know where I can DL a copy of the "Amiga XL Remover" utility?
Old 24 June 2009, 00:09   #198
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dframeli View Post
Never heard of it...
Old 24 June 2009, 00:16   #199
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dframeli View Post
Hey, where did you hear about that!
Old 24 June 2009, 00:21   #200
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rZool View Post
I found this topic somes days ago, while I was talking with some others french Amithlon users on AmigaImpact. I was very happy to see a recent thread with many interesting things (I didn't know that we can use the rtg.library from WinUAE). Also, I discovered the existence of the unofficial update 1.31 !! In fact, I was working on some update scripts for myself, so I've decided to combine them to make a brand new unofficial update v1.32, really up to date.

As the previous updates, it works as an installer, which allows the user to select the software/patch he wants to install (so you'll don't have to download and install every programs by yourself anymore). Here are the changes I've made, and I would like to have your opinion. Do you thing I should change some things ? Did I forgot some essentials updates or utilities ? Btw, as you can see it includes the AHI v6, does I still need to install the linux sided ahi driver update (from the 1.29/contrib3b) ?

Every ideas or suggestions which can help me to improve this update are welcome ;-)

Thanks !

Changelog :

+ Added NewBaer
+ Added LowLevel Library V41.28
+ Added RaMithlon
* Updated OpenPCI v2.1 (before it was v1.2)
* Updated OpenPCI RTL8139 v1.2b4
+ Added AHI v6 m68k (planned to replace it by the x86 native, if I succeed to make it works)
+ Added Amiga XL remover (it removes files and icons only used by Amiga XL, so useless under Amithlon)
+ Added a french installer
* Updated the installer script (many changes) + Added rtg.lib v40.3992 (from WinUAE 1.5.0)

And I'll probably add OpenPCIInfo and PCIList if you think it can be usefull...
Second page of this thread