English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 12 November 2014, 11:24   #1
AndyGarton

Hello/My New X1000 System

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share some pictures of my new X1000 system as well as give a brief introduction to, er, me.

I'm another of the nostalgic old crowd primarily - ZX81, Acorn Electron, then Amigas (A500 and A1200), back in the day. After a long break I bought a "new old stock" A1200 a few years ago and have mildly upgraded it (the usual CF hard drive/030 card/flicker fixer mainly). I still very much enjoy that machine but find I tend to use it only really for games - using Workbench for "serious" applications and development is just too slow and low res for me now.

So I began to think about "next generation" Amigas. I enjoy building my own machines so it had to be a motherboard only solution, and I've actually ended up buying both an X1000 and a Sam460Ex. The Sam hasn't arrived yet but will end up in a similar case to the X1000, but half the size. That will be my low-to-mid-range test system primarily.

The X1000 is now basically done, as you can see below. I'll use it for everyday productivity and tinkering (everything apart from the few remaining things I can only do with a PC basically), as well as software development - I'm a programmer by trade, although my day job is now mostly management, and I have the itch for some coding projects. I'll probably start with a few easy ports to get back into AmigaOS development (more nostalgia - I remember blowing one whole term's student grant, around 500 quid I think in around 1990, on a C compiler for my Amiga!).

The spec is as follows: Nemo motherboard, 4GB RAM (I know AOS can currently only use 2GB but I also plan to use the machine for a bit of Ubuntu Linux), 120GB SSD (plus two 500GB hard drives which I can't get AOS to see yet), Radeon HD4650 fanless graphics card (I like quiet systems, I've also upgraded the CPU fan to a "super quiet" XR2 model), and RTL8139 network card. It's all connected to an Acer monitor running at a lovely 2560x1440. The case is a Corsair 540, fitted with a couple of LED'd case fans (connected to a fan controller and running fairly low speed) and an LED colour controller system so it can run various cool colour changing effects when I'm in the mood

I've had tons of fun researching and building, and am absolutely loving how the system performs and runs. AmigaOS 4.1 is brilliant as far as I'm concerned, fast and stable, yet still with the old Amiga feeling and straightforwardness. I know Hyperion get some stick, but I think the community is very lucky to have them as they're doing an amazing job with limited resources imo.

I bought a lot of my bits from AmigaKit, and I have to give these guys a loud shout out for some truely outstanding service (in contrast to one or two other Amiga related companies it has to be said!) - nothing was/is too much trouble for them and shipping was fast and efficient. I've also seen AmigaKit get plenty of negative press in the forums and I have to say I'm staggered by this, and it's really my one negative about the current Amiga scene - the amount of negativity and pointless arguing is quite disappointing. It's a small community so surely it's only common sense that everybody pulls in the same direction rather than fighting each other?!?

From what I've seen so far the Amiga does still have a very valid place and I don't see it dying just yet, but do think we should offer as much support as we can to those companies (and individual developers) still in our market. A-EON is a similar case in point - I have nothing but admiration for what Trevor has done: spent (blown!) a lot of his own money purely through his love for the Amiga. Yet he still gets a lot of criticism! I realy hope he sticks with it (and can I be first on the list for an X5000 please!).

Anyway, enough ranting - I'm happy and proud to be part of the Amiga scene again and hope to do my bit in future by contributing some software too.

Last edited by AndyGarton; 12 November 2014 at 12:23.
Old 12 November 2014, 12:42   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I like the case, quite insane.

Watch the fan speed though, as if it not enough the PA-Semi will get rather hot. Dont get me wrong, it will run all day long without fan, but its nicer when the heatsink is nice and cool, .
Old 12 November 2014, 12:48   #3
AndyGarton

Yep, my CPU fan is running full speed (connected to the board, not fan controller). It's quiet enough not to be an issue. CPU temps are high 50s most of the time.
Old 12 November 2014, 12:56   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Wicked case, welcome on board

Most of the users here are Classic users, but thanks to WinUAE supporting AmigaOS4.1 new NG users are popping up every day
Old 12 November 2014, 13:00   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Wicked case, welcome on board

Most of the users here are Classic users, but thanks to WinUAE supporting AmigaOS4.1 new NG users are popping up every day
Awwww, group hug, Classic and NG unite, .
Old 12 November 2014, 14:40   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Very nice, I use the same case for my Gaming PC.

I have the lowly AmigaOne XE - I dream of an X1000 one day

Maybe if Amigakit do weekly payments lol.
Old 12 November 2014, 16:14   #7
amigakit.com

@fitzsteve

Actually, we are doing the exact same scheme for a few customers at the moment... so yes we can do that!

@andygarton

Thanks Andy for the order and welcome back to the Amiga!
Old 12 November 2014, 23:03   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@fitzsteve

No excuses now buddy!
Old 13 November 2014, 08:47   #9
Locutus

What enclosure is that?
Old 13 November 2014, 08:49   #10
AndyGarton

The case? A Corsair Carbide Air 540.
Old 13 November 2014, 12:02   #11
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Great to see an happy customer.
The amiga is more alive now than some years ago.
Thank you aeon, hyperion and amigakit without you the amiga couldn't still here. Step by step, the amiga comes back to live. I hope they have plans for the future, plans for a real comeback, but what they are doing now is already amazing.
Thank you guys !
And thank you andy
By the way it could be cool if you could make some review of the beast and some videos.
I think about to buy an amiga one but i'm not really sure yet.
Old 13 November 2014, 13:29   #12
ancalimon
Supernormal

I would have bought an X1000 (or the new one).

But according to Turkish customs laws, if the thing you bought is more expensive than €1500 you have to pay 50% customs. It means I would have to pay more than €1000 extra.

I don't know if there a way around this tax.
Old 13 November 2014, 13:32   #13
AndyGarton

Talk to AmigaKit? Perhaps you could pay 1499 for the machine, then another 1000 (or whatever) for a matching mouse mat