English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 27 February 2014, 16:38   #141
vintageBytes

Okay, I finally figured it out to get a working X11R5 with color support!
I will upload a hardfile with a working installation and prepare some installation scripts for installing on a real Amiga. I had to install it manually, but now it's working.

Can't wait to see, if this will work on my A3000T, too!
Old 27 February 2014, 18:00   #142
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
.lnk?

Sounds like you gave shortcut link to winuae which winuae tried to resolve but wine refused to handle it (was unsupported operation).

Not my problem unless it happens on real Windows too, sorry
(but try to switch Direct3D/DirectDraw mode in misc panel)
Right, for some obscure reason the floppy drive DOES work in Windows but not in WINE. Oh well... good thing I never need floppies in AMIX!

As for Direct3D / DirectDraw I'm playing around with that, it does seem a lot faster in Windows proper just for a change... at least now that I've got X11R4 working in colour once again.

I also bothered to try those unofficial disk driver patches available on the amigaunix.com site. Recompiled kernel does seem a least a bit faster.

@Amiga_CDTV: glad you got it working! SCSI termination was always a bane...
Old 27 February 2014, 18:16   #143
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth View Post
@Amiga_CDTV: glad you got it working! SCSI termination was always a bane...
Not quite there yet The copying of files finished but then creating/writing to the boot sector at the very end of the installation failed (I think the problem was that I used a partitioning from a previous (failed) installation attempt and it was probably corrupted).

I am now doing a new 2.1 installation from WinUAE into a one gigabyte Seagate SCSI hard disk (with a SCSI-USB adapter, great but very slow). My previous attempt at this failed, probably because of the termination on the 3000T, but this time it might just work...

@VintageBytes: Any screenshots? Thanks for your efforts on the hardfiles, too.
Old 27 February 2014, 18:28   #144
Noth

@VintageBytes: How exactly did you do it? Did you remove the base X11R4 AMIX provides to begin with or did you fiddle a lot more ?
Old 27 February 2014, 18:45   #145
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Still waiting for someone to get Cirrus Logic RTG board emulation working with Amix X11
Old 27 February 2014, 19:37   #146
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Still waiting for someone to get Cirrus Logic RTG board emulation working with Amix X11
That's been working for me since August 2013 (using X11R4), thanks again for that very useful feature.
Old 27 February 2014, 19:49   #147
mark_k

Would you be able to upload an HDF with Cirrus Logic X already installed?
Old 27 February 2014, 20:07   #148
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Would you be able to upload an HDF with Cirrus Logic X already installed?
Yep I can do that. Fresh install on a less than 1Gig hdf or my bigamix 3Gig hdf with partitions for extras software and whatever I was compiling a few months ago ?
Old 27 February 2014, 21:04   #149
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

I made an Amix WinUAE config file according to http://amigaunix.com/tiki-index.php?...E+installation

and using "amix_hardfile.hdf" from vintageBytes post #128 (thanks and for manual too) attached in WinUAE panel as Hardfile and set HD Controller to SCSI6,

but cant get the time and day (see pic below) to current date, so wondering is something wrong with my config file ?! (TIA)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unix.png
Views:	311
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	39190  
Attached Files
File Type: uae test-2.7.1-b9_AmigaUnix_(D3D).uae (17.8 KB, 129 views)
Old 27 February 2014, 21:16   #150
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
I made an Amix WinUAE config file according to http://amigaunix.com/tiki-index.php?...E+installation

and using "amix_hardfile.hdf" from vintageBytes post #128 (thanks and for manual too) attached in WinUAE panel as Hardfile and set HD Controller to SCSI6,

but cant get the time and day (see pic below) to current date, so wondering is something wrong with my config file ?! (TIA)
You need to install the updated setclk from the amigaunix.com file repo to be able to use dates past 2000.
Old 27 February 2014, 21:36   #151
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
You need to install the updated setclk from the amigaunix.com file repo to be able to use dates past 2000.
Ah yes, the old OS is necessary to upgrade for 2000 - but for me now it seems a little complicated, anyway thanks again for fast reply.
Old 27 February 2014, 23:04   #152
vintageBytes

RTG Installation in AMIX

I wrote a small installation script based on the scripts, that are created by the install.svga script from the Gateway CD and the installation tips on amigaunix.com.

You need a completely patched Amix 2.1 installation. I have not yet tested this with HD hack method (will do this in the next days). You need 3 files:

- install.svga script
- X11R5_bin.tar
- installX11R5.txt attached to this post.

1. Copy the three files to your Amix machine. Be sure to unzip the X11R5_bin.tar and place them all in the same folder before starting the script!
2. Rename the installX11R5.txt file to installX11R5 and execute it with

Code:
sh installX11R5
The script will first execute the install.svga script for creating the necessary configuration and patch files. You can ignore the messages for installing the X-server.
The script removes the old X11R4 installation and the X11R5 source (which is obsolete and does not compile).
It will untar the R5 binaries and link the X11R5 installation to a working state.
After that, the script will compile a new kernel, install it into the boot partition and reboot the system.

After the reboot, you can start your X session with
Code:
xinit
Be sure to check the screen resolution in XsvgaConfig!

I've tested the script three times in a fresh installed and patched Amix installation, so this should work.

I will post screenshots later, when I've set up a nice desktop
Attached Files
File Type: txt installX11R5.txt (1.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 27 February 2014, 23:25   #153
Noth

I've uploaded the images to the eab file server, link here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=940584#post940584.

@vintageBytes: Thanks a lot I'm going to give it a spin!
Old 28 February 2014, 02:07   #154
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

@Noth ... Wow, thanks!

I have checked thebasicamixX11R4 file on WinUAE with my config + PicassoII (see pic below) and it seems the file is already updated with setclk patch for year 2000 (very nice).

p.s. I have noticed when changing the Virtual screens with RAlt+Fx I need now to release the RAlt-key every time before changing among Virtual-screens ... in ECS mode it allows to keep RAlt-key pressed while changing Virtual-screens with Fx-keys ?!

p.s.2 Well, seems it happens only when changing Virtual-screens starting from X-terminal Virtual-screen (like in below pic) and not if started from any other.

(Note: I am using RAlt+Fx for switching among Virtual-screens because if would use LAlt+Fx could happen to quit WinUAE if pressed LAlt+F4.)

Edit: I have also finished reading the LearningAmigaUnix manual ... a nice guide for those who have never been using an UNIX before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X11R4_RTG_PicassoII.png
Views:	264
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	39193  

Last edited by amilo3438; 28 February 2014 at 03:03.
Old 28 February 2014, 10:26   #155
vintageBytes

I've now uploaded a prepared hardfile with a working X11R5 to my webspace. You can download it here:
http://www.vintagebytes.de/amix/amix_hardfileX11R5.7z

I also added a new page to my website for using Amig Unix under WinUAE:
http://www.vintagebytes.de/amix/winuae.html
I know, it's german, but most of the page are screenshots from the configuration.

Attached are two screenshots, one is the basic setup after the installation of X11R5, the other is slightly modified. So for now, I'm searching for a cool background picture and a way to change the xterm background and foreground colors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X11R5basic.png
Views:	277
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	39194   Click image for larger version

Name:	X11R5modified.png
Views:	500
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	39195  
Old 28 February 2014, 12:31   #156
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageBytes View Post
I also added a new page to my website for using Amig Unix under WinUAE:
http://www.vintagebytes.de/amix/winuae.html
Regarding the WinUAE config file just found below quote here -> http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=940425&postcount=2

quote: "MMU and cycle exact (or more compatible) is unsupported and can cause strange side-effects."

So the config file for WinUAE Amiga Unix should have "More compatible" option disabled in CPU panel ?! ... probably the same apply for FPU "More compatible" option too ?!

@vintageBytes

Btw. In proposed configuration here -> http://www.vintagebytes.de/amix/images/uae1.png

you have "Fastest possible" and also "More compatible" option turned on !!! ... not sure how this could work together ?!

Edit: Maybe Toni could include in next WinUAE beta a new Quickstart configuration for AmigaUnix too like f.e. A3000UX.

Amiga models and variants -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_models_and_variants

Last edited by amilo3438; 28 February 2014 at 12:57.
Old 28 February 2014, 13:14   #157
vintageBytes

Well, it works
Old 28 February 2014, 13:30   #158
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageBytes View Post

Attached are two screenshots, one is the basic setup after the installation of X11R5, the other is slightly modified. So for now, I'm searching for a cool background picture and a way to change the xterm background and foreground colors
Nice job! I got X11R5 working "manually" (launching X by hand then all the other apps in a shell script since startx barfed). How did you modify the colours that twm uses for window decoration? For xterm and xclock you can just add this to them:
Code:
-fg green -bg black
. That's foreground and background of course. I also like to add
Code:
-update 1 -hl green
to xclock so it displays seconds. I suppose you used xv to get the background picture loaded, or is there a way to get twm to load it? EDIT: this may come in handy: http://www.custompc.plus.com/twm/twmrc.htm

@amilo3438: Yeah I added the updated setclk to the base install, just makes life easier. Never tried using RightAlt to switch screens, as I use a SwissFrench layout. You can setup in Miscellaneous options to use Ctrl-F11 instead of Alt-F4 to quit, that way you get all the virtual terminals. Using WINE in Ubuntu Unity 3D is a pain for that as they've hardcoded Alt-F1 & Alt-F2 to search desktop functions...

Last edited by Noth; 28 February 2014 at 13:38.
Old 28 February 2014, 13:40   #159
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
You can setup in Miscellaneous options to use Ctrl-F11 instead of Alt-F4 to quit, that way you get all the virtual terminals.
Yeah, I forgot on this, thanks ...
Old 28 February 2014, 13:41   #160
Noth

@Toni I also tested all the ZorroII cards emulated for RTG screens, only the PicassoII & II+ work in X11R4. Going to boot win8.1 and try the others in X11R5 now it works for me just to make sure...