English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 05 July 2013, 20:27   #1
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

How to shrink an area of reserved memory

OK here's my problem, I have loaded in a file into Fast Mem that contains some data that needs to be in Chip, so I copy it out. The Chip data is at the end of this block of data, so I want to free it up and get that fast mem back, without freeing up the whole block because I still need the rest of the stuff. In other words to shrink the allocated space, keeping the first part and discarding the latter part.

I know this must be possible because AMOS has a Bank Shrink function that preserves the address of the data. But how do I do this with Exec calls? If I try to "freemem" half way into an allocated area it seems to work but eventually crashes. I tried freeing the whole block and then AllocAbs it again, that doesn't work either
Old 05 July 2013, 21:02   #2
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

free/allocabs should work as long as you surround them with forbid/permit.. what do you mean by "doesn't work" ?
Old 05 July 2013, 21:23   #3
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

well it just seems to hang, AllocAbs doesn't clear the memory to zeroes does it?
Old 05 July 2013, 21:36   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ugly Forbid()+FreeMem()+AllocAbs()+Permit() is the only working method. (EDIT: only if mungwall or similar program is not active..)

Note that first 8 bytes of FreeMem()'d memory region will be modified (Replaced with struct MemChunk).
Old 05 July 2013, 22:35   #5
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Thanks Toni! That was just the tip I needed, those first 8 bytes were really important!