English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 February 2010, 00:44   #1
tinto

NTSC TV Problems

Hi,

I recently bought an NTSC A1200 from AmigaKit. I'm in Canada, and having trouble running some games, which I'm guessing is a problem with them being PAL games running on an NTSC TV, but I wanted to get some confirmation. Two of the problems I'm seeing - with the discs included with the Amiga are:

1) Pinball Dreams (included with the Amiga) is offset way to the right and down on the TV. I can't see the far right of the game or the bottom. I don't mean a few pixels here - I'm talking about at least a quarter of the screen...

2) Whizz (included with the Amiga) - initial "cutscene" works more or less fine (similar offset problem to #1, but less pronounced). It then asks for Disc 2, which I enter. Once the game loads, it seems to switch video mode as the screen starts jumping up and down wildly (flashing), making it impossible to see.

Anybody have similar problems and any ideas of what's best to do in general when downloading games and demos for this Amiga? The Amiga is a stock A1200 with a 2.5" HD added.

Thanks!

Old 28 February 2010, 07:21   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
dump the ntsc amiga and get a PAL one (along with a PAL capable TV)

I'm in japan, I've had my share of troubles with ntsc amigas, the best solution was to completely switch to pal. no troubles.

other than that your only hope is trying whdload with ntsc switch I guess.
Old 28 February 2010, 17:03   #3
tinto

Dumping the Amiga isn't an option. What's NTSC switch? I'll try and find some info on that and take a look.

I grew up in the UK, so I always had a PAL Amiga and everything worked fine. Nevertheless, there must have been plenty of people in the world back in the day who used NTSC Amigas, and were able to play games, etc...

Old 28 February 2010, 17:12   #4
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
unfortunately my friend, no, amiga was never that big in the US. US amiga market was more geared toward professional users with big box machines. US gaming market was more dominated by the NES and such at that time I guess. My estimate is about half the games from european software houses have problems with NTSC machines.

NTSC switch is not a hardware dongle. It's a switch (parameter) for the whdload software. Whdload is a software which lets you install floppy games to your amiga hard drive.