English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 January 2010, 16:07   #1
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Bringing memories back to life

Hi everybody, as I'm the perfect exemple of a noobish newbie and don't know where to search if a topic already exists, I risk to post this topic here. Sorry, haven't much experience in forums and hope the staff won't punish me too hard

I don't know if some of you had the same feeling that in the earlier times when we were young and often with minimal ressources, we couldn't afford any original games and lived happily with our copies. But, then came the time when we began to earn money and suddenly wanted to be able to possess what we couldn't back then. So, are there other geeks like me out there who collect old games?

I mainly collect Amiga and CD32 games since 2 years now and have more than 300 games now. This has become a real obsession and I try to collect everything I loved to play at that time and try to collect every CD32 game that exists. Silly? Capitalistic? Senseless? YEAH but I can't stop!

Anybody feel the same?

Last edited by Peilton; 14 January 2010 at 16:17.
Old 14 January 2010, 16:20   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

If I had the room I would certainly start buying boxed games as I just prefer to have the real thing including manuals, code wheels etc.
Old 14 January 2010, 16:29   #3
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
If I had the room I would certainly start buying boxed games as I just prefer to have the real thing including manuals, code wheels etc.
Hi seuden That's exactly what I thought too. Luckily I had the place to dedicate two shelves to Amiga Some games (like Terrorpods by Psygnosis) remained a great mystery for me until I bought the game with notice and manual to be able to understand them Also, the box arts on the games always boost my nostalgic feelings; they're so beautiful antique
Old 14 January 2010, 16:57   #4
Eclipse
Turpentine

I'm very much the same.
I owned very few originals when I originally had an Amiga but now find myself wanting original boxed games. Sadly it seems that many of the well known games are now becoming a little overpriced.
I also now tend to play from a backup disk rather than wear out my expensive originals.
Old 14 January 2010, 16:59   #5
Locash

Feel free to burn me as a heretic, however I'm really tempted to try and collect all UK release SNES carts and have them on a shelf.

I don't know why but the urge has been getting stronger recently!.
Old 14 January 2010, 17:07   #6
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I'm very much the same.
I owned very few originals when I originally had an Amiga but now find myself wanting original boxed games. Sadly it seems that many of the well known games are now becoming a little overpriced.
I also now tend to play from a backup disk rather than wear out my expensive originals.
Cool! That's the way I do it too Leaving the precious disks in their boxes and using a backup disk or WHDLoad to play'em.

It seems that a few years ago the prices were pretty high on eBay for Amiga and then everybody began to search their ceilings for games and now they're much cheaper which is a good thing. But I agree that the rare ones are overpriced and it's always surprising to see how much they sell games like Moonstone, Wings of Fury, Bratacas, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the most recent Moonstone in sealed condition was sold over fleabay for more than 300 Australian Dollar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locash
Feel free to burn me as a heretic, however I'm really tempted to try and collect all UK release SNES carts and have them on a shelf.

I don't know why but the urge has been getting stronger recently!.

Hey welcome to the team dude Once you begin, it never stops...

Last edited by Peilton; 15 January 2010 at 16:45.
Old 15 January 2010, 16:48   #7
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

AWESOME!? Are the only geeks on this forum from UK and Luxembourg Thought there were more silly collectors like me here
Old 19 January 2010, 03:44   #8
Stab Master

I'd like to start collecting too but there's nowhere to buy Amiga stuff here in Japan, lots of Nintendo though!
Old 19 January 2010, 07:27   #9
ami_junkie

Hey Stab Master, you in Chiba as well? I know what you mean though, there is hardly any Amiga stuff anywhere except on Yahoo Auction.

Old 24 January 2010, 11:52   #10
Stab Master

@ami junkie - yeah, I'm in Chiba, good (and surprising!) to hear from another Amiga fan in Chiba. I haven't really been looking for any Amiga stuff because I've looking into building a mame cabinet but haven't got anywhere yet.
Old 24 January 2010, 18:38   #11
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
EAB bringing ppl together, gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling