English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 December 2009, 08:21   #1
dstrang

Want to clone A3000 to Win UAE

I have my old Amiga 3000 with four partitions, running OS 3.1. I tarred up the contents of each partition and moved the tarball to my PC where i hope to run WinUAE with my A3000 files. I have KickStart disks in a folder and I hope to be able to extract the KS rom from the A3000 (where do I find the tool?)

Is it realistic to expect to get a WinUAE environment identical to myA3000 environment given I have the tarballs?

Also, I used to do some programming using PLPLOT, Requester, and some other libraries. These libraries are in the tarballs. Will I be able to use these libraries under WinUAE? These are probably in some Amiga/MC68000 COFF format.

Sure would be nice to clone my A3000 to WinUAE. Is this possible?

Regards,
Dave

Old 11 December 2009, 17:51   #2
MagerValp

Unless you have some oddball cards in your A3000 it should work fine, as long as the UAE configuration matches your A3000, with regards to devices etc. I saved my A1200 this way back when I switched, and everything worked pretty much out of the box.
Old 13 December 2009, 08:34   #3
dstrang

Good To Know

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know it should work. Might you be willing to share your method of transferring your files to Windows and WinUAE. Like I posted, I have a tarball for each A3000 HD partition. I probably need to redo them as the path includes the drive name/assignment ( sys:, work:, etc). I need to recreate the tarball inside each partition and specifically exclude the tar file that gets created. I then copy these files onto a Jaz drive which I can later mount on the PC and hopefully copy to WinUAE. I should have the Kickstart floppies that came with OS 3.1, but I can also do the transprom route (where can I find this?) Maybe a newer version of lharc for OS 3.1 might be better.

I guess I'm trying to determine the feasibility of transferring to WinUAE and what I need to succeed.

Kind regards,
Dave

PS: The box has the Lowell graphics card, but I never found stable drivers or the apps that took advantage of it, so I never needed or used it.

Old 13 December 2009, 08:51   #4
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrang View Post
Thanks for the reply. Its good to know it should work. Might you be willing to share your method of transferring your files to Windows and WinUAE.
Network thru FTP (server running on PC side). But since you don't have a network card on your miggy, it's not available to you.

Quote:
I then copy these files onto a Jaz drive which I can later mount on the PC and hopefully copy to WinUAE.
this will work, however, you need to format the zip disk under windows with FAT16. Then you need to have FAT support on your miggy. Check aminet for fat95. A full version of Crossdos also will work. play with this file till you get it working.

http://www.amigau.com/zipdrives/aFAQ.html#Q7

Quote:
Like I posted, I have a tarball for each A3000 HD partition. I probably need to redo them as the path includes the drive name/assignment ( sys:, work:, etc). I need to recreate the tarball inside each partition and specifically exclude the tar file that gets created.
I really didn't understand what you're trying to do here. having drive assignments won't create much problem, you can have exact same volumes under winuae. Or are you trying to join everything in a single partition ?

Quote:
I should have the Kickstart floppies that came with OS 3.1, but I can also do the transprom route (where can I find this?) Maybe a newer version of lharc for OS 3.1 might be better.
OS 3.1 came with kickstart floppies ? Does your A3000 load kickstart from a file ?

you may have some problems there. Check Aminet for grabkick. Winuae may not like your A3000 roms though. Last time I tried, I had some problems. Using 3.1 A500 rom images won't create much problems if you can find them. (Emulate an ECS system with 68030.)
Old 13 December 2009, 16:32   #5
a4k-oerx

Did a similar thing with an A4000, used Amiga Explorer http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ to copy all A4000 partitions (complete hd-data, not only files) as .hdf files on PC and now directly use these with WinUAE, adjusted only WBStartup (removed some Multiface card autostart) and Devs/DOS-Drivers (removed PC0 and the like) and Screenmode.

Maybe somebody here knows a tool which can create hdf-partition-images on Amiga without Amiga Explorer, e.g. using a simple bootdisk or similar in case you do not have a nullmodem-cable or tcp/ip network card.

PS. If you used an own harddisk-filesystem on Amiga, like AFS or similar, you might also have to add the amiga-executable of the driver to "Hardfile Settings/Properties" at FileSys in WinUAE. If you had standard FFS or similar, no need for that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdf-settings.gif
Views:	297
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	23597  

Last edited by a4k-oerx; 13 December 2009 at 16:53. Reason: Clarifications, Screenshot
Old 13 December 2009, 17:03   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4k-oerx View Post
Maybe somebody here knows a tool which can create hdf-partition-images on Amiga without Amiga Explorer, e.g. using a simple bootdisk or similar in case you do not have a nullmodem-cable or tcp/ip network card.
TSgui creates or writes back image files (ADF/HDF).
Old 13 December 2009, 20:26   #7
Jope
-

If you have a superkick a3000 and devs:kickstart is a 3.1 image, just concatenate it to exactly 512 kilobytes and it will work in winuae. That is 524288 bytes.

If you can connect the A3000 HD to a PC that has WinUAE, you could just make a .hdf image of it with WinUAE itself.
Old 13 December 2009, 20:44   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Hey coze,

That link didn't work for me yesterday, and it doesn't work for me today, either.

If you can load that page ( http://www.amigau.com/zipdrives/aFAQ.html ), could you perhaps save it, zip it up and upload it to the Zone, please?

I would appreciate that!

Thanks.
Old 13 December 2009, 20:57   #9
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
sorry, it was working yesterday it doesn't work for me right now either, but amiga university has always been a hit and miss lately ...

here's a snapshot of the page from google cache :

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...FAQ.html<br />

well actually, I use an MO drive, and there's an excellent FAQ out there for it :

http://home.freeuk.net/markk/Amiga_MO_FAQ/main.html

I use PC-AT MOC file, it determines the size automatically, which is just great.

http://home.freeuk.net/markk/Amiga_M...unt_files.html

I believe it may work for ZIP too, the media is different, but they're basically same ...
Old 13 December 2009, 21:37   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for your help, coze!

That page took a while to save because the graphics weren't cached, but I got it. I'll check the original link from time to time to see if I can get a cleaner version, but this one will do for now.

I also grabbed the original Amiga MO Drive FAQ archive from your second link, and the Example Mount Files from your third link will be a useful reference too.
Old 24 December 2009, 10:04   #11
dstrang

Where Do I Go From Here?

Can I use transdisk to get an image of my 4 A3000 partitions, by transferring/saving the image to a file on a 2GB Jazz disk (my transfer method)?

If I get a boot drive image (sys: from my A3000, can I get WinUAE to boot into that image?

BTW, I have a OS 3.1 A3000 rom file using transrom. I tell WinUAE where to scan for it. It seems to load but I get the "insert disk" animation with a description of the Kickstart it seems to have found. Is this telling me it dislikes the Kickstart or is it telling me I need to configure a workbench (which I would like to be from my A3000 boot drive partition image file)?

Is this line of thinking correct?

Regards and a Merry Christmas to all.
Dave

Old 24 December 2009, 10:12   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
if I was you I`d first have a play with winuae setting up diffrent roms and diffent workbenches so you have an idea what 2 do, if your hd in the 3000 is of the ide type then i would simply plug it in to a pc run winuae and back every thing up and then start again on pc.

kickstart screen meams its ready to boot just needs a disk to do it be it a floppy or HD