English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 12 November 2008, 09:31   #1
Vortex
Used Register

Introducing...

Hi Everybody,

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.
Not sure this would be the right place, but with a forum named Coders Heaven, resistance is futile...

A month or so ago I was working late solving a problem. My wife (I work at home ), saw me scribbling down some words on a piece of paper (accompanied by a bunch of silly drawing of course!). Amongst all my notes she read: "Scoopex" (no Idea why I wrote that down). WTF is that she asked? After I explained it to her I just googled for Scoopex and a bunch of other demo scene related words. Even found some of my own stuff on the net. Great fun.
Quite soon I found this forum and I spent quite some time as a guest on this forum and I was really surprised so many people still enjoy good old Amiga (be it the real thing or using an emulator).
I've been thinking of buying an A500 machine again just for fun and see if I can do some assembler coding again (my original Amiga got fried somewhere in '91 ).

As far as demo groups go. I started my own group but was quickly invited to join a group called Doom. Next I met Arjen (can't remember his nickname) of the Royal Amiga Force and together with a GFX guy (Falcon) and a musician (Clodhopper-dog, how can I forget that name ) I (we) started TDC of RAF. Eventually ended up in a very well know group, but got kicked out again just as fast because of inactivity, the fried A500 and most likely because I was just not good enough a coder lol. Should have payed more attention in mathematics class I guess. I think my home made 3D engine (vector lines and balls) wasn't the quickest (more likely the slowest).

Sadly, I have absolutely zero stuff left from that period. Lost the books, all the code and all tools 'n' stuff I collected... Really a shame. I think I dumped it all in the trash when I moved.

Nowadays I'm still programming ( C, previously using Code Warrior, now with XCode). Working for a great company that makes cross platform (mac/win) Playout Automation and Production Software (client server stuff). Amongst things, I made a client server Video Editor. Edits are stored on a central DB, so you can watch/edit the same timeline on multiple clients at trhe same time. yeah!.

That's it for now. Again, great to see so many people still enthusiastic about the Amiga. A wonderful trip down memory lane...
Old 12 November 2008, 09:39   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Vortex and welcome to the EAB
It's good to see more people getting the Amiga bug again
There is a thread here on the board about member from the scene : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15590. Chances are you'll find some of the guys from back in the days here again
Oh and could you name some of the demos you were involved?
Old 12 November 2008, 10:35   #3
AmigaFriend

Welcome Vortex!

As you said you'll find here many Amigacrazy guys . It's nice to have one more on the board.

And please as TCD said name your demos it would be a pleasure if we saw them and then said: "Ah this is the guy who made this" I know him
Old 12 November 2008, 12:46   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Hello & welcome to EAB Vortex!
Stay a while... stay... FOREVER!!!
(Always wanted to say that )

Thanks for that great long story in the post of yours.
Old 12 November 2008, 18:32   #5
Leffmann

Welcome to the EAB!
Old 13 November 2008, 03:50   #6
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Hi Vortex, and wellcome to EAB.
If you want some stuff for remembering amiga programming like books or programs, just make us know.. If that stuff still not for sale at stores we can upload it to the zone or MagixFTP. From some time I´m collecting Amiga programming books and programs..

[quote=Vortex;476150]

Amongst things, I made a client server Video Editor. Edits are stored on a central DB, so you can watch/edit the same timeline on multiple clients at trhe same time. yeah!. [quote]

It´s funny, my job as systems manager in a TV station consists in managing a system with multiple video servers with the characteristics you described, where every video that income to our station it´s uploaded to that servers for posterior editing and emission to air/cable. The system is from Omnibus (automation) and the servers from Quantel.
Maybe you work to one of this enterprises
Old 13 November 2008, 09:31   #7
Vortex
Used Register

Thank you for the nice welcome all.

TheCyberDruid asked for stuff I made. I did find a few small intro's on pouet. Nothing fancy (be gentle ).

Pack disk menu-intro-thing (Like the choice of colors in this):
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51211 (edit: link corrected)

Invitation for Royal Amiga Conference party (This one hurts my eyes
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51208

Intro:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51207

That's all I was able to find for now, nothing special really. I'm pretty sure I made more stuff, but it was either never released or lost in time (I loved beginning a new intro/demo, finishing it was a lot less interesting somehow ).
Had a quick look at the COPROCESSOR HARDWARE part of the Amiga Hardware Manual last night (http://pub.elowar.com/AmigaDev/Hardw.../node0000.html). Loads of stuff coming back to me now. Above intro's seems to be pretty straight forward copper stuff and some blitting (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey, if all goes well I just bought myself a brand old Amiga 1989 model with loads of extra's.

@AlfaRomeo:

Yes, I know Omnibus and Quantel but I'm not working for either of these companies. I work for a smaller Dutch based company called Building4Media (www.b4m.com, don't even try the .nl ). Our product is called FORK, but we refer to it as 'the FORK'... As in. 'May the FORK be with you', 'The FORK is strong in this one' and 'Don't underestimate the dark side of the FORK'.

Seems like fun to me to code another intro or demo once again. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to it but who knows... Let's see if I can get my hands on that Amiga first.

Last edited by Vortex; 17 November 2008 at 14:48. Reason: Fixed a link
Old 13 November 2008, 10:18   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Hey, if all goes well I just bought myself a brand old Amiga 1989 model with loads of extra's.
Thanks for the links Vortex Will have a lookie now
I bought my 'brand old' A500 some months. The day it arrived was like X.Mas Best of luck with your Amiga
Old 15 November 2008, 16:33   #9
Vortex
Used Register

Thumbs up Got it!

Yes, Just brought home my brand old Amiga.
1Mb A500 with extra drive, video digitizer and 1084S monitor (all in working condition I might add). Haven't looked at the software yet (doubt any assember is included anyway), will do that later today (have some errants to do first).
I'm quite pleased needless to say...
Old 15 November 2008, 16:39   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good to hear you got your A500
Guess you'll have a nice, nostalgic evening and also hope that you you'll back to coding once the initial 'shock' has worn out
Old 16 November 2008, 03:53   #11
Leffmann

It must be like Christmas Eve all over again I remember when I was 12 and got my first Amiga 500, I was so excited I was shaking
Old 17 November 2008, 07:00   #12
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Stay a while... stay... FOREVER!!!
Weird. Thought I was at Lemon 64 for a moment there...

Welcome, Vortex.
Old 17 November 2008, 13:39   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Pack disk menu-intro-thing (Like the choice of colors in this):
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=5121
That one is an old PC intro, I suppose you mean http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51201? Oh, and welcome to EAB. =)
Old 17 November 2008, 14:23   #14
Vortex
Used Register

Merci

Nope that's not it either. I would never say something like that to girls..
Here the correct link (I missed the last digit): http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51211

By the way, your avatar.. Real Stingray in the background?