English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 May 2002, 02:44   #1
gary

C Compiler recomendations?

Can anyone recommend a C compiler that will compile executable programs on a 1meg Amiga 500 KS 1.3 (floppy disk only)?

Ideally I'm looking for something similar to the old Borland C compiler that could run on an old 640k 8086 PC.
Old 09 May 2002, 08:14   #2
th4t1guy

I'm pretty sure SAS/C can fit on a floppy.
Old 09 May 2002, 19:18   #3
aphrogen

C compiler "old school"

DICE should do the job, and last I heard it's very ANSI compliant.

Old 09 May 2002, 19:37   #4
Fissuras
Old Luny

I've never tried to put SAS/C in one disk only, but I don't think it is feaseble. SAS/C came in 5 to 7 disks, depending on the version.
I believe even when SAS/C Compiler was Lattice C it was too big to fit a single disk.

Lattice C - SAS/C came from Atari ST. Last Atari version was Lattice C 5.6 witch was ported to Amiga, and it had 7 disks on Atari, and about the same on Amiga (5? 6?).

The usual commercial compilers were always "big" (Aztec Z, Manx C, Lattice C, Sas/C, Storm C, HiSoft C).

When you say a compiler *like* Borland, you mean a compiler with an IDE, right? An editor integrated to the compiler, not a command line one, I suppose.

Borland had a 68000 compiler for the Atari ST, the Pure C compiler, and then they turned it into Turbo C (for the Atari). I don't know if there was any plan to make it to Amiga, but I think they never did it.

On Aminet you can find a lot of free compilers, but most won't fit a floppy (Dice, Vbcc). The ones that do, are command line compilers or are mostly "incomplete". I mean, most programs written specifically for the Amiga require the Amiga header files and Amiga libs in order to compile, and these files are not included in these small free compilers.

So you will have to try copying yourself a few selected files from any compiler you want, leaving behind docs, helps, examples and see if it works.

Last edited by Fissuras; 09 May 2002 at 20:21.
Old 10 May 2002, 06:45   #5
th4t1guy

@fissuras

I was thinking that just the compiler program would fit on a floppy if you cut off all the extras like the debugger and the .h files.

If I remember right, I think SAS/C did have an option for floppy users (but it would require a lot of disk swapping).

I can't really confirm this atm, since my manuals for the thing are buried deep within the bowels of my basement.
Old 10 May 2002, 10:45   #6
Fissuras
Old Luny

That's what I meant also. There seems to be no readly available, complete-IDE-C-compiler-in-a-single-disk, like old Turbo C, but if you cut some files, you can fit a limited one in a floppy.
Old 10 May 2002, 21:03   #7
aphrogen

DICE it...

Hm, all good... but the old DICE 2.5b fits on two disks, I still have them and will upload them when I find the time. The compiler fits on one single floppy and if you work from CLI it will be alright.

Old 11 May 2002, 00:18   #8
Fissuras
Old Luny

Tests I

I am doing some tests right now.
I am trying some compiler configurations.

So test number 1: Aztec C Compiler v5.0a.
Results: It has a two floppy installation, but there is no IDE.
So it does not qualify as a Borland Turbo C type.

Tests are still going on. I'll try to report results as soon as possible, but since today is my birthday, i don't think people here will allow me to use the computer
Old 11 May 2002, 15:50   #9
Pyromania

Re: C Compiler recomendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
Can anyone recommend a C compiler that will compile executable programs on a 1meg Amiga 500 KS 1.3 (floppy disk only)?

Ideally I'm looking for something similar to the old Borland C compiler that could run on an old 640k 8086 PC.
Not sure if this one works under 1.3 might need 2.0 but it will work from one floppy.

FreeDice.lha on Aminet

I can put it in the zone if you want.
Old 11 May 2002, 15:53   #10
Pyromania

Freedice

Just did some checking and FreeDice does work with 1.3, I will test it on my A1000 this weekend to be sure but the docs say it will run with that version of the Amiga OS.