English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 30 June 2008, 07:48   #1
Zeno

A few issues with ClassicWB_ADV

Before I talk about the issue I'm having I'd first like to mention how grateful I am to the creator of these workbench installs for making it so easy to set up an optimized stock Amiga.

This weekend I installed the ClassicWB_ADV version on my Amiga 1200 with 4 MB RAM expansion and 2GB CF hard drive (otherwise stock).

My install was not completely smooth, so that may be part of my problem. The unzip program on the floppy kept thinking my System.zip was corrupt (winRar and Dopus on WinUAE said it was fine). I was transferring it with a PCMCIA CF card reader to an empty formatted DH0 (also CF, 2 GB). Maybe it was the intermediate FAT filesystem on the PCMCIA CF card or different versions of zip, I don't know.

After trying a bunch of stuff, I was finally able to get all of the OS files onto my Amiga's hard drive by taking it out of the Amiga, mounting it in WinUAE, and then copying all the files over by hand. In order to do this though I had to boot winUAE off of a workbench 3.1 ADF and then drag icons between drives. For some reason UAE would not boot from the hdf partition with the CF hard drive mounted - maybe conflicts between 2 bootable partitions?

Anyway, now it *mostly* works great on my Amiga, with the exception of two important programs that won't run - Dopus and AWeb. DirectoryOpus pops up an error that says "Program failed (error #80000008). Wait for disk activity to finish". AWeb says the same thing only with error number 80000004.

All of the other programs that I've tried so far run fine - music players, workbench games, copper, word processor, etc. Any idea why these particular programs aren't working?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12 July 2008, 13:08   #2
Bloodwych

I really can't repeat your problems and I've never used a CF device on an A1200, so I'm a little lost troubleshooting these issues.

I know everything works on my A1200 with a standard hard drive.
Old 12 July 2008, 22:50   #3
Zeno

There must be some small errors that got introduced copying things around (maybe bad bits on one of the CF Cards).

I have AmigaExplorer set up now and will try to figure out which files are bad and overwrite them that way.

Thanks for your response, and thanks again for these pre-built packages

Old 12 July 2008, 23:51   #4
Bloodwych

That's what it sounds like - a few corrupt files.

As for the packs, you're welcome.
Old 03 August 2008, 15:56   #5
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Sometimes, I really wonder if I can actually read or not!

Having exactly the same problem as this, and having searched the forums prior to posting my thread I thought I was the only one.

I patently wasn't, but how I missed this thread I'll never know.

Zeno, did you have any luck sorting this out, was it corrupted files in the end?
Old 03 August 2008, 16:31   #6
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
Sometimes, I really wonder if I can actually read or not!

Having exactly the same problem as this, and having searched the forums prior to posting my thread I thought I was the only one.

I patently wasn't, but how I missed this thread I'll never know.

Zeno, did you have any luck sorting this out, was it corrupted files in the end?
How about me?

I completely forgot about this thread, saying that no one else had reported an issue.

Although I was really busy at the time so I hammered out a standard answer!
Old 03 August 2008, 17:00   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I think you guys have a bad max transfer value. CF cards simply won't accept such a mistake. All files that are bigger than a certain limit will be corrupted. I bet those AWeb and Dopus are big exe files. Try copying these files from the PC to a CF card. Then plug this to A1200 pcmcia port. When you execute this file, it will work from the PCMCIA port. But when you copy it to your partition, it will be corrupted. This way you can verify the max transfer problem (I use the nexus demo exe to find this problem). I don't remember right now the correct value, you should check the PCMCIA compatibility thread.
Old 03 August 2008, 17:36   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

set MAXTRANSFERS in HDTOOLS to 0x1fe000

remember to press return or it wont take the value,

you may need to add an extra Zero to that value if you are using HDInstalTools... i am sure one of them needs it
Old 03 August 2008, 17:49   #9
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
hmm ... I think you should enter 0x001fe000 cause hdinsttools tend to pad the zeros to the end, which give a bad maxtransfer value (the cause of my previous problems ...)
Old 03 August 2008, 18:18   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

<--- always using HDToolsBox

its interesting how the difference matters sooo much