English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 26 February 2002, 06:35   #1
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Question Slick intro with man piloting tunnel vehicle

Tapping the wisdom...

In the early-or-mid nineties, a friend of mine showed me a game on his HD-equipped A1000 whose intro I'll never forget. Whether the game was HD or Floppy, shooter or strategy, I don't know. Just that it had a very stylistic intro with beautiful MOD music.

It seems there was more than one shot in the intro, but it's this one that haunts me:

We see a closeup shot of a man in the cockpit of the vehicle. The shot is dark and somewhat monochromatic. The 'camera' is somewhere in the lower center part of the cockpit. It's hard to tell exactly what kind of vehicle it is, but we get the impression it travels through a tunnel lit by fluorescent tube lights. What impresses this upon us is the nice effect of the fluorescent tubes whizzing by overhead, reflected in the man's round mirrored sunglasses.

The music started off atmospherically... Most prominent was a chilling saw lead alternating with an upwardly sweeping white noise-type sound, supported with a synth choir. At some point the drums kick in at a moderate tempo and a synth bass and stacatto melody join the synth choir. The stacatto melody alternates with the saw lead for a few phrases, then the song breaks down to just drums and a kind of metallic reverse-clang percussion effect. Then the stacatto melody comes back...

...And that's all I can remember. The game must not have worked, or not been any good. But it is a great intro! So, please, throw some suggestions out. I'll try each and every one! Anything except for Running Man. That wasn't it. Or, is there more than one Running Man?

If I'm just imagining all this, I've got to sequence this song and call it my own!

Last edited by ethylene; 27 February 2002 at 14:47.
Old 26 February 2002, 12:09   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
What impresses this upon us is the nice effect of the fluorescent tubes whizzing by overhead, reflected in the man's round mirrored sunglasses.
Fluorescent tubes?
Well ... could be S.T.U.N. Runner.
For the record (this question has been asked a dozen times in the past), S.T.U.N. stands for Sub-Terranean Underground Network.

Last edited by andreas; 26 February 2002 at 12:22.
Old 26 February 2002, 12:37   #3
Frog

Stryx ?

It could be Stryx by Psyclapse. An awesome intro as in most of Psygnosis game but the game is a bit boring imho.

Even if it's the wrong game, have a visit to the Zone and enjoy the great music by Paul Summers composed in 1989 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stryx-intro.png
Views:	307
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	1920  

Last edited by Frog; 26 February 2002 at 12:43.
Old 27 February 2002, 14:34   #4
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Exclamation Stryx it is!

Thank you, Frog! Right on all counts. I've got to show this to my friends and see if they remember it now

Is Paul Summers still composing? Since a tune I heard only once has stuck with me for more than ten years, I'd love to hear what he's doing nowadays.

That GMC file you posted to the Zone... it's a MOD file? Which player should I use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stryx.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1926  
Old 27 February 2002, 16:40   #5
Frog

Paul Summers

Paul Summers have also composed at least Barbarian 2 Title music from Psygnosis and Rainbow Warrior.
i'd post Barbarian 2 in The Zone. It also a GMC format.

If you're on amiga you can use Eagleplayer or Delitracker to play them. On pc i guess Deliplayer should play it without problem.
Old 27 February 2002, 17:10   #6
oldpx

Barbarian 2 - Intro music was cool. I'm looking forward for his other works too.