English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 February 2002, 00:00   #21
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@Jherek Carnelia:

You can find out if your drive is dodgy by doing the X-Copy check like I described !

@jimmijo:

I don't think A-1200s had HD drives from factory, but maybe you mean that some came with PC-drives ?
That's why I asked whether it was a A-1200 from Commodore or one of the later models made by Escom, because they came with PC-drives and a little adaptor board to make them work on the Amiga.
Old 15 February 2002, 02:42   #22
jmmijo

Ah, thanks Overdoc, that clears things up for me
Old 18 February 2002, 19:40   #23
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Angry Aaaaargh!

Well, my friend gave me 3 A600s and an A1200 + 4 external floppy drives. I have tried all the internal and all the external drives - in both A1200s and I still can't make adfs!! . I am thinking of buying a new one from eyetech but wonder if it will work.
Old 18 February 2002, 20:03   #24
oldpx

Edited: Sorry I misread the problem and offered a solution to an Amiga2PC problem. Here is a fixed description:

1)Download .dms from aminet

2)Boot workbench under WinUAE

3)Insert your .adf to df0:

4)Run dms and let it read the disk and create a .dms file

5)Format a floppy as 720k from the PC

6)Copy this .dms file to the floppy

7)Run CrossDos from the Amiga

8)Read the PC formatted floppy from Amiga

9)Write the .dms file to an Amiga disk by using the dms utility from the real amiga

Last edited by Burseg; 18 February 2002 at 22:58.

Old 18 February 2002, 21:47   #25
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Unhappy Wails and gnashes teeth!

@ Burseg - Before I try your idea I have gone back a step or two...

I have tried X-Copy it checkdisks an original WB disk ok.
I have unarchived XFS in WinUAE it unpacks ok. I have transferred the lha file to the Amiga - it won't unpack, it gets an error in the same (2) place/s each time...
I have tried lowering the transfer rate from 8000 to 4000 - still get the same problem. Is this what the real problem is do you think?
I must say that I am getting pretty despondent now

@ Burseg - do you mean transfer the .dms files to the amiga? I use the PC for downloading, the amiga is not connected to the internet?
Old 18 February 2002, 21:58   #26
RetroMan

What Burseg tries to tell you (I think) is, leave alone that PC2Amiga for a moment, and put an .DMS, .ZIP or whatever on the PC on a 720KB DOS FORMATED DISK ! You can read those with tools like CrossDos on the Amiga ! If it works that way, got hava a faulty transfer with PC2Amiga !
Old 18 February 2002, 22:44   #27
oldpx

:kill :kill :kill

I misread the thread and explained to transfer from Amiga2PC, but RetroMan fixed the information

Old 18 February 2002, 22:44   #28
jmmijo

Jherak, try out RetroMan's suggestion first, this will bypass the transfer cable and software to see if that's the culprit. The other thing is that there are three methods of cable transfer Amiga<->PC and they are serial cable, parallel cable and network cable. The network cable should be the fastes but trying to locate a NIC for an Amiga is not easy and they tend to be spendy. The next should be the parallel cable then finally the serial cable. You may find that since the cable seems to be the common connection between all the different machines you've tried that this is the most likely cause of the problem.
Old 18 February 2002, 22:46   #29
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Yes, that's my thaught, too. As suggested earlier already I assume there is something wrong with the transfer from PC to Amiga and not the process of writing the ADF back to a disk.
But it is very strange then that you can transfer single files and it is also strange that ADFs have the right size.
Otherwise I would think that the transfer speed its too high. If possible, try slowing it down a bit.
Old 19 February 2002, 00:16   #30
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Big grin Yes!!

I think I have cracked it! (Well, not me, all of you guys!) . I have made a dms and written it to a floppy and all seems to be ok. I haven't tested it all out yet, I'll do that tomorrow - it's getting late now...

Thank you all for your help and patience - @Overdoc - I was just convinced my parallel connection was good! Even though you suggested it may not be days ago...

Thank you all again... sighs with relief. (crosses fingers and trundles off to bed)