English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 17 May 2001, 10:08   #1
brasse

Thrust

Hi!

Does anybody remember a game called Thrust. It is similar to Gravity Force and I think it was released about the same time...

Last edited by CodyJarrett; 21 May 2001 at 13:45.

Old 17 May 2001, 11:06   #2
Khephren

Jeez I remember this. Not sure if it was the C64 version or the Amiga.

If it was wireframe vector gfx then it was the 64 version. Sure I can remember a full colour version on the Amiga, or maybe I'm thinking of summat else.

Sure I got this one but I'm in work and can't get to my CD's.

I'll post it later if noone else does.

Old 17 May 2001, 11:58   #3
Tim Janssen

Thrust for C64, Fly Harder for Amiga

Thrust only appeared on C64 and was a wire-frame type of game. In 1992 an Amiga game called Fly Harder was published by Blue Byte. It had similar gameplay. You control a little ship who must collect power pellets and constantly must fight the gravity force. Never played it, though..
Old 17 May 2001, 14:06   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thrust

There are a number of Thrust games on the Amiga - Zarathrusta, Fly Harder, Rotor, The Executioner and Dr. Plummet's House Of Flux...
Old 18 May 2001, 13:04   #5
Tim Janssen

Never heard of those games.

Dr. Plummet's House Of Flux? The Executioner? Rotor? I have never heard of these games. There is a huge gap in my knowledge of Amiga games.
Cody, can you give me some information of these games (pics, publisher, year)?
Old 18 May 2001, 13:56   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thrust Games

Sure!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Executioner (1991 - Hawk)

Amiga Power reviews:
Full price - issue 5 - page 71 - 55%
Budget - issue 40 - page 77 -69%

A playable enough Thrust-variant, with one or two extra bits tacked on. The core of the game just isn't exciting or different enough. 2/5* AMIGA POWER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Plummet's House Of Flux (1989 - MicroIllusions)

Not as fun as it sounds, it's actually a bizarre Thrust variant. 2/5* AMIGA POWER

Rotor (1989 - Arcana)

Remember Thrust? The 8-bit classic from Mastertronic? Well, here's a 16-bit version. It's not bad, but in my opinion I preferred the simple line graphics of the original. 3/5* AMIGA POWER READER

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 11 October 2001 at 22:22.
Old 18 May 2001, 14:02   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Fly Harder

As mentioned earlier, Fly Harder was not published by Blue Byte - it was Starbyte!

Fly Harder is classic. See my review at the Amiga Games Database: http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/FlyHard.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fly Harder

Original budget - AP issue 36 - page 71 - 90%

You fly in it, and it's harder than just about any other game ever. It's also a sort of updated version of Thrust, with exactly the same picking-up-orbs plot but a more varied selection of hazards to avoid. Perfect in every way. 5/5* AMIGA POWER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fly Harder CD32

Original budget - AP issue 36 - page 81 - 72%

Oh no! It's the same great game, except they make you use 'up' to thrust, rendering your little spaceship virtually impossible to control. The numbskulls. 3/5* AMIGA POWER

<Ian>
Cody's double barrel screenshot removed.
Will be included in the AGD, which will be with us soon
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 00:09.
Old 18 May 2001, 16:25   #8
Gibby

Why oh Why

Quote:
Oh no! It's the same great game, except they make you use 'up' to thrust, rendering your little spaceship virtually impossible to control. The numbskulls. 3/5* AMIGA POWER
This was a common problem for CD32 games. Not using up to thrust, but people releasing the same old A500/A1200 games without taking advantage of the extra buttons that the CD32 boasted. Okay with the A500/A1200 version the majority of people only had one joystick button. With CD32, everyone had a joypad with 7 buttons on it. How much more difficult would it be to change the thrust action from pushing up on the stick/pad to pressing a button, a flipper button would have been ideal.

Old 18 May 2001, 16:45   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Keys

The interesting thing is that Fly Harder was so good for controls otherwise - you could redefine all the keys on the keyboard. Keyboard redefining was so common on the 8 bits, but for some reason it was stopped on machines like the Amiga. Basically the programmers said "You will use what controls you say we use." How difficult would it be to have keyboard controls as well as joysticks? Not very!
Old 21 May 2001, 13:32   #10
Tim Janssen

Nice games..

Hi Cody,
Thanks for the information. I have never seen these games before. I think it is time to build up an Amiga games collection.

I read that Amiga Power also put comments to Dr. Plummet's House Of Flux and Rotor . These games are before their time, aren't they? Has Amiga Power 'reviewed' every single commercial game that has ever graced the Amiga?
Old 21 May 2001, 13:56   #11
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

AP

Amiga Power included mini-reviews in all their issues of the last year's games in a special section. In issue 24, they gathered these together into an article about every Amiga game ever and added many more old game mini-reviews. This was added to by readers in an article about the ones that AP missed. Later, all this was compiled into one book (The Official Amiga Power Guide To Every Amiga Game Ever), which was sold separately in shops.

Even then, AP only did mini-reviews for about 1,800 games and properly reviewed about 1,450. This falls short of the total number of Amiga games released.

So, AP didn't review Dr. Plummet's House Of Flux or Rotor properly (as you say, they were before their time), but they did do mini-reviews.
Old 21 May 2001, 14:00   #12
Gibby

I have that Book

I do believe I have that book still. I think I got it free cos I was a subscriber to Amiga Power, I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it.

Its cover was blue with several screenshots of the best games. My copy has been customised to have ticks next to all the games I owned plus an issue number (Amiga Power issue of course) of when each game was "tipped" or "walk through'ed" in AP so I could easily find cheats and hints to any game I got.

Old 21 May 2001, 15:10   #13
LaundroMat

I would honestly give my liver for this book... And I'll throw in a kidney too. (As the liver is a bit inflated..)

Anyone have any idea on where I'd be able to track down a copy?

Gues I'll try World Of Stuart. You never know...
Old 21 May 2001, 16:11   #14
Gibby

Hmmmm

Maybe I could OCR it. Although IIRC the layout of the book would mean that that may be a bit awkward. It wasn't exactly short either, maybe not a good idea after all. Unless someone knows some really good OCR software that would come in handy OCRing non-standard layouts.

Old 21 May 2001, 16:41   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Amiga Power Book

Well, the British Library has a copy! ( http://blpc.bl.uk/ ) So, perhaps you can go in and pinch it! They also have issue or two of Amiga Power.

Otherwise, I have typed in 98% of the mini-reviews, so look out for it in the future...