English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 09 December 2004, 20:21   #1
Bloodwych

Absolute Classic MOD/MED files

The next ClassicWB is going to see a nice update in the sound department. Although all but the LITE classicwb versions already support MP3 playback through Eagleplayer, I've decided it's time to add MP3 support through AHI to the P96 version together with AmigaAMP. Double click an MP3 and it now opens amiga amp and plays the file (Picture 1 below). Also made a directory in "MyFiles" which can be directly accessed via AmigaAmp addfile button.

In the past I was against the idea as I thought people would prefer to play MP3's on modern machines in a modern OS. The main reason I've changed my mind is many people these days covert Amiga custom sound files to MP3's and may want to play them in an emulator environment.

I'm still NOT going to add internet support however, apart from the already installed HTML/web page viewer. I can see no reason why people want to use an emulator to surf the web! Plus all the browsers are demo versions.

In order to accompany the classic theme, I've decided to include a small premium collection of mods to add a good retro atmosphere. Opening Eagleplayer without any arguments starts playing these tunes at random straight away! Works great! Deciding to stay clear of the custom formats, I've hand picked as many recognisable tunes that exist in MOD format (listed in picture 2 below).

What I'm asking for here EABers is do any of you know any excellent MOD/MED tunes to add?

I've never been much of a listener so chose nearly all game tunes. If any of you have an absolute favourite them put forward some suggestions. Remember though, I'm only after the absolute most kickass MOD/MED files. No custom formats - users can add those themselves from their collection plus the pack would end up huge!

If you can’t be arsed to suggest, fair enough - sorry for wasting your reading time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicP96sound.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	7668   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicP96modlist.png
Views:	418
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	7669  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 December 2004 at 21:46.
Old 10 December 2004, 08:45   #2
Macca
Zone Friend

Hmmm - I'm not too up on how good MOD files are in relation to the originals but my favourite in game music are as follows:

Turrican 2 - Level 2 and the Shoot Em Up Level
Shadow of the Beast Trilogy - any
Ghosts n Goblins - any
Ghouls n Ghosts - any

Just my suggestions - hehe
Old 10 December 2004, 12:08   #3
Bloodwych

I actually have a huge collection of original tunes ripped directly from games – all downloaded from Exotica. The MOD tunes listed above are mostly in their original format and so sound identical to the game.

Problem is, only a small proportion of original game tunes exist in MOD/MED format, the rest are known as "custom formats". They have strange prefixes and suffixes and require specific engines from Deliplayer or Eagleplayer to work (or Deliplayer windows version). Even then, a small number may be unplayable.

Anyway, to cut down on the size of tunes included I decided to stick with the universally compatible MOD/MED format with easy double click file support. There will be a hand picked music addon pack containing all the custom game tunes in the future - including ALL Turrican game music! It'll be fairly big however - 17MB at the moment - so I'm not sure when it'll be up. Took flippin hours and hours to hand pick everything off the exotica site and re-pack. Still, it’s several times smaller than recording MP3 files of the games and of course they’ll run happily on a low power Amiga. MP3s require a 060 for full quality playback!

Yes, the ones you suggested are classics. Out of those, I have some of the original beast tunes in MOD format.

If anyone else has any game tunes in MOD/MED format that I've missed, or as I said before just some kick-ass tunes from demos/individuals then please speak up and I'll have a listen.
Old 10 December 2004, 12:24   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

Mmm....

Live for tomorrow.mod
Uncle_tom_-_occ-san-geen.mod
Fantasy.mod
Live power 3.mod
Journal.mod (from Flashback)
freekzoid - alienbreed3dse-fz.mod (800k in size)

Or look at: http://mods.abime.net/
Old 10 December 2004, 12:50   #5
Bloodwych

Thanks for the suggestions Paul.

Yeah, I know about the mods on abime.net, but like I said above I'm not much of a listener and only familiar with mainly game tunes. It would take some time for me to tell which tunes are really the best from that huge list! Since we must have some experienced Amiga audiophiles on here I was hoping peeps could just type out a quick favourite that immediately comes to mind.
Old 03 March 2005, 23:54   #6
zardoz
Zone Friend

how about the music in Bill's Tomato Game? Not exactly hardcore but a cracking tune nonetheless...