English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 May 2024, 02:30   #1
Laine

PFS3 and GVP a530

can you install PFS3aio on a GVP a530 on a zuluscsi HDx.hda image?
booting from the GVP install disk and creating partition seems to work with FFS

booting from a 3.2 install disk add the PFS file system create the partition it doesn't boot

not sure if I'm missing something or just can't be done

I can update FFS from the 3.2 disk fine just can't do PFS

looking online lots of old info not sure what's right

Last edited by Laine; 10 May 2024 at 02:34. Reason: cleaned up my extra spacing
Old 10 May 2024, 03:16   #2
stx2199

pfs3 the origina commerciall version I'm sure it works fine
but pfs3aio I don't know, just ask Tony
Old 10 May 2024, 09:40   #3
Jope
-

It should work just fine. You should only use the 3.2 hdtoolbox in this case, don't mix with faaastprep.

Remember to match the dostype for all partitions and the filesystem itself that you install with the add/update-button.

Remember to press return after filling in any string gadgets.
Old 17 May 2024, 03:17   #4
Laine

thank-you Jope,

I had watched a couple videos of people using the zulu with GVP scsi device, it made it sound like it was a must to use the GVP faastprep to create paritions first.

So in WinUAE I made two HD files and selected the PFS when I created them, put them on to my SD card use 3.2's HDToolboix to create partitions, then put the SD card into the Zuluscsi and booted the Amiga with a 3.2 install disk.

My HD files I create showed up fine and I was able to format them (got the PFS quick format screen)

Installed the OS fine, I went down the wrong path with the Info I got from the Videos.

Thanks again
Laine

Last edited by Laine; 17 May 2024 at 22:54. Reason: spelling
Old 19 May 2024, 22:36   #5
Laine

Side note, as I was looking at bluescsi information, the jumper cn18 changes the default 7 MHz to 14 MHz doubles the speed test in sysinfo from 1meg to 2meg
Old 28 August 2024, 22:23   #6
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Side note, as I was looking at bluescsi information, the jumper cn18 changes the default 7 MHz to 14 MHz doubles the speed test in sysinfo from 1meg to 2meg
Did you manage to use 14mhz? When I set mine to 14mhz it does not boot.

I'm struggling with A530 and BlueSCSI can't get images to work. Only AGS 2.7 works for now.
Old Yesterday, 08:55   #7
Laine

yes it works great or at least I haven't had an issue, I have the blueSCSI too, on it with the network SCSI part working.

Biggest thing for me when setting up stuff was I was trying to use the GVP software just don't. As noted above.

use Winaue you can create a hardfile image on the CD & Hard drives section, at the bottom change the file system to PFS3 give it a few MB and create.
-edit don't do this part as per Thomas

I used an 3.2 Kickstart rom and used the 3.2 version of HDtoolbox and I did add pfs3 as a file system using info online for the drive prep. at the time the amiga 500 had a 3.1 rom
but I did update it to 3.2.2
It's late (tired) I can update better tomorrow if this isn't clear

Last edited by Laine; Yesterday at 19:27. Reason: to update not to do something
Old Yesterday, 09:38   #8
thomas

Quote:
at the bottom change the file system to PFS3
Don't do that. The file system selection box is only for use with UAE. UAE supports big-floppy files as default. But these cannot be used as real harddrives.

You have to use partitioned (RDB) image files with an RDSK identifier. Use the "Full drive / RDB mode" checkbox for that. Then you can use HDToolbox to add PFS3 as a file system.
Old Yesterday, 10:52   #9
sviru

Quote:
yes it works great or at least I haven't had an issue, I have the blueSCSI too, on it with the network SCSI part working.

Biggest thing for me when setting up stuff was I was trying to use the GVP software just don't. As noted above.

use Winaue you can create a hardfile image on the CD & Hard drives section, at the bottom change the file system to PFS3 give it a few MB and create.

I used an 3.2 Kickstart rom and used the 3.2 version of HDtoolbox and I did add pfs3 as a file system using info online for the drive prep. at the time the amiga 500 had a 3.1 rom
but I did update it to 3.2.2
It's late (tired) I can update better tomorrow if this isn't clear
Thnx. Can you elaborate why you wanted 3.2.2 instead of 3.1? Do you have Amiga os 3.2? I'm on WB 3.1 now.

Do you still run on 14mhz? If so - how did you manage to do that?
Old Yesterday, 10:53   #10
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Don't do that. The file system selection box is only for use with UAE. UAE supports big-floppy files as default. But these cannot be used as real harddrives.

You have to use partitioned (RDB) image files with an RDSK identifier. Use the "Full drive / RDB mode" checkbox for that. Then you can use HDToolbox to add PFS3 as a file system.
thnx. I had a problem with BlueScsi not recognizing HD files from winuae - it might be that I was using the filesystem from the dropdown.
Old Yesterday, 19:25   #11
Laine

I do add PFSaio and part/format it in HDToolbox

Yes I bought 3.2 so use the 3.2 kickstart/workbench

if Thomas says something isn't a good idea believe him so don't do what I did except the hdtoolbox part of adding the filesystem.

the 14mhz I moved the jumper and things work fine for me and I haven't moved it back since I get about 2meg on the diskspeed test instead of 1meg

I also got a SDcard extention cable so I could run the SD card outside of the case so I can change things if needed.
Old Yesterday, 19:47   #12
sviru

Quote:
I do add PFSaio and part/format it in HDToolbox

Yes I bought 3.2 so use the 3.2 kickstart/workbench

if Thomas says something isn't a good idea believe him so don't do what I did except the hdtoolbox part of adding the filesystem.

the 14mhz I moved the jumper and things work fine for me and I haven't moved it back since I get about 2meg on the diskspeed test instead of 1meg

I also got a SDcard extention cable so I could run the SD card outside of the case so I can change things if needed.
Great. I'm wondering how it is possible that you can get away with 14mhz and mine wont boot. Can you please give me full spec of your Amiga and GVP (CPU/FPU/ROM VERSION)? Ram, rom, chip, board rev etc? I have HD8+m and there I have 2MB/sec. On A530 only 1MB.
Old Yesterday, 23:05   #13
Laine

it's a rev 6 A500 with 2.04 I switch it to 3.1 kickstart then decided to move to the 3.2 one (had a bad 68000 CPU I replaced) 1meg chip mod done

the GVP530 was 4 meg fast, I bought another 4 meg stick so it's 8meg fast now (9 together)
it had the original 68ec030 but I replaced it since with a 68030 with MMU and added the 882 FPU (these aren't needed but I did it anyways)

It worked with the original config at 14mhz

Original rev 6 2.04 kickstart/2.1 os on a Quatum fireball HD 1meg chip 4 meg fast on gvp
Now 3.2.2 kickstart/3.2.2.1 OS on a bluescsi (i have a zuluscsi it works fine too) 1 meg chip 8 meg fast

the hardest part I had was making the bootable HDF file I had tried to follow zulusci and the gvp fastprep stuff online, stopped trying that as instructed and it just works providing I have the image files named right
Old Yesterday, 23:10   #14
sviru

Quote:
it's a rev 6 A500 with 2.04 I switch it to 3.1 kickstart then decided to move to the 3.2 one (had a bad 68000 CPU I replaced) 1meg chip mod done

the GVP530 was 4 meg fast, I bought another 4 meg stick so it's 8meg fast now (9 together)
it had the original 68ec030 but I replaced it since with a 68030 with MMU and added the 882 FPU (these aren't needed but I did it anyways)

It worked with the original config at 14mhz

Original rev 6 2.04 kickstart/2.1 os on a Quatum fireball HD 1meg chip 4 meg fast on gvp
Now 3.2.2 kickstart/3.2.2.1 OS on a bluescsi (i have a zuluscsi it works fine too) 1 meg chip 8 meg fast

the hardest part I had was making the bootable HDF file I had tried to follow zulusci and the gvp fastprep stuff online, stopped trying that as instructed and it just works providing I have the image files named right
thanks. I wonder why mine won't boot on 14mhz.
CN18 1/2 - 7MHz SCSI (Reserved) 2/3 14MHz SCSI (Default)

I have BlueScsi, REV8a, 1.5MB Chip + 1MB fast, 3.1 rom, 68ec030, noFPU.

I wonder what might be the reason. We have very similar config. If I set it to 14mhz nothing is booting at all.

Did you try 14mhz before full 030 with MMU?
Old Yesterday, 23:55   #15
Laine

I found the default was 7Mhz in the documentation I know one of the website says the 14mhz is default but it isn't.
https://archive.org/details/A530_Tur...e/n27/mode/2up
page 49

I did swap the pins before the 68030/882 came

I can try and create a clear base 3.1 install see if it works for you, make sure it boots on mine and send it to you somehow

does your GVP have anymore then 1 meg ram? I think tries to maprom I know 512k is used on mine for maprom
Old Today, 00:10   #16
sviru

Quote:
I found the default was 7Mhz in the documentation I know one of the website says the 14mhz is default but it isn't.
https://archive.org/details/A530_Tur...e/n27/mode/2up
page 49

I did swap the pins before the 68030/882 came

I can try and create a clear base 3.1 install see if it works for you, make sure it boots on mine and send it to you somehow

does your GVP have anymore then 1 meg ram? I think tries to maprom I know 512k is used on mine for maprom
If you can do that. That would be more than awesome! - clean 3.1 in hda file. If we have the same base 3.1 that that would be a big part of troubleshooting already done.

PS. When I go for 14mhz I cannot even get to boot selection holding two mouse buttons. So this is before maprom even starts? I think...

I have only 1MB for now. Working hard to acquire 4/8MB.
Old Today, 00:16   #17
Laine

over on amibay I asked in the looking for and got a response quick and got the extra 4meg quickly
Old Today, 00:32   #18
sviru

Quote:
over on amibay I asked in the looking for and got a response quick and got the extra 4meg quickly
I have no idea what happened... my 3.1 booted with 300kb free on fast... and now on SYSinfo I got 11.24 xa500 and chipram 1.83 vs a600!

No idea... that might have been a lack of fast all this time.
I jumped on CN18 and set it to 14MHZ.... VOILA! 2mb/s
I have no clue what is going on but I'm super happy.

Could you check something for me. CannonFodder WHDLOAD. If you could try it with JST and WHDLOAD - even better.

First Mission and second Mission. Very big slowdowns when shooting enemy soldiers. On mission 2 you do not have even to shoot game is so slow and choppy. If you can check this . It plays nice from GOTEK zero slowdowns and quicker than a a500 stock by a mile.

Thanks!
Old Today, 00:36   #19
Laine

ok I'll have to check the WHDLoad stuff later tonight
Old Today, 00:49   #20
sviru

Quote:
ok I'll have to check the WHDLoad stuff later tonight
appreciate