English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old Today, 01:46   #1
Dwyloc

OS3.2.2.1 crashing due to non functional mmu on 030EC CPU with no working MMU.

I have an Apollo 68030EC@50MHz card in my A1200 with a non functional MMU, (Which was never an issue until I tried installing OS3.2).

So the question is how to I configure OS3.2.2.1 to know not to use the non functional MMU rather than crashing every every few minutes unless I remove the fast ram from the card or pull it out entirely?

If I don't install the MMU libs I cant get workbench to open after the warning message is displayed on the screen and if I install the libs they incorrectly detect my EC version of 68030 without an MMU as having one and try to use it.

I would try readying the docs on my A1200 but I only seem to get 1 to 2 mins of up time between software failures and reboots so that proving quite hard.

As there are lots of these cards out there I can't be the first person to have this issue as such does anyone know of a fix other than replacing a perfectly good card or do I just need to go back to using OS3.9 on this system?

I would try installing on my A1200T in my signature instead, but either my motherboard or Blizzard card has failed on that system and it is awaiting repair. So for now I only have my desktop A1200 that I was have only used to run AGA WHDLoad games for 15+ years.
Old Today, 02:46   #2
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyloc View Post
I have an Apollo 68030EC@50MHz card in my A1200 with a non functional MMU, (Which was never an issue until I tried installing OS3.2).
So the question is how to I configure OS3.2.2.1 to know not to use the non functional MMU rather than crashing every every few minutes unless I remove the fast ram from the card or pull it out entirely?
I would be interested in the crash as this would allow me to improve the EC detection, in particular how this can be reproduced and what kind of crash you observed - being more specific can certainly help. The MMU is not put into use without a prior function test.

Can you tell more when this happens and how, and are you willing to help me to identify the crash? Is this it the latest version of the mmu.library (47.6?)

Quote:
If I don't install the MMU libs I cant get workbench to open after the warning message is displayed on the screen and if I install the libs they incorrectly detect my EC version of 68030 without an MMU as having one and try to use it.
If nothing helps: Open up ENVARC:MMU-Configuration with an editor and add to it the following command:

Code:
MMU off

This is, btw, also described in the mmu.library documentation. It will then use the TTx registers and configure them as good as possible.

Quote:
As there are lots of these cards out there I can't be the first person to have this issue as such does anyone know of a fix other than replacing a perfectly good card or do I just need to go back to using OS3.9 on this system?
Reading documentation can also help. (-; But before that, we should try to identify whether that is actually really the issue.

Thus, what is the mask of the CPU (what is printed on it), which speed grade is it, and is it overclocked?
Old Today, 12:49   #3
Dwyloc

Hi, I am at work just now but will get you some more details when I get back.

The crashing only started after installing the MMU lib using the AmigaOS3.2.2 install floppy. I do remember that I cant see the CPU details on the top of the chip as it as a heatsink epoxied to the top of the CPU.

I have always suspected that the CPU was overclocked from the factory anyway here is a link with more details and good photos of the version of the card I have https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...t.aspx?id=2000 its a ACT Elektronik Vertriebs GmbH: Apollo 1230 Turbo MK1 Just in case the link does not work.

I have also just ordered a new individual Computers CA-PSU from just to rule out a PSU issue, as my existing Goliath Power PSU is the samne age as the card and its always possible it has decided to start failing at the same point I did the upgrade.

Even though it did not give me any issue over the last couple of weeks of use after getting my recapped A1200 set back up and using it to play games and watch old demo's using WHDLoad with my old OS3.9 setup.

It also possible its the Elbox FastATA 1200 MK-II causing issues as I seem to remember it causing issues with my A1200 Tower setup in the past and that was why it was moved into my A1200 desktop system.

Anyway thanks again for the help and I will double check the config details when I get home.