English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 February 2005, 16:37   #21
W.K

true, however I don't know if the UAE Community attract other people besides us who grew up with Amiga and its games. It will soon also fall into dust, when we are no longer there with it. I wonder how future people will look at Amiga, I can picture people living in Gigantic Cyber Cities playing "Wings" and look dreamily at a time long gone, a time we experienced in the first place. They'll think "What was it like?"...
Old Today, 15:11   #22
Kepler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroq View Post
in 10 or 15 years, all real Amiga machines will be dead, their condensators dried up, their chips corroded and electro-migrated...
Apologies for resurrecting a 20 year old thread...but I couldn't resist responding with the words: "that's not quite correct!".
Old Today, 15:33   #23
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk View Post
My one fear is that as the idea of 'retro' gaming spreads companies may buy certain rights that they know little about in order to provide consumers with a retro gaming 'ideal'. This may lead them to try and enforce their property upon the retro community even if it has nothing to do with them.
Reckon this dude should get a job at the horoscope desk for the local paper
Old Today, 18:05   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Apologies for resurrecting a 20 year old thread...but I couldn't resist responding with the words: "that's not quite correct!".
Tough little hombres for sure. Of course it is partly true because a lot of them will have required maintenance to keep functioning. I will never buy a real Amiga anymore because I can't keep it alive.
Old Today, 18:40   #25
Seiya

Future is: WinUAE and every fork from it
Old Today, 18:50   #26
TCD
Global Moderator

I haven't used my real Amiga in... a long time. 'The Amiga' is surely in an interesting place today 20 years after this thread was created. Calling it dead is not quite correct for sure
Old Today, 19:01   #27
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Indeed, though at least the part about capacitors failing has something to it.
Old Today, 19:13   #28
Megalomaniac

Thankfully enough people knew about the capacitor issue and saved their machines, and enough others have the skill / enthusiasm / time / money to restore damaged machines. New emulation solutions keep coming too.

What is far more vibrant than any of us could have dreamed is the market for new games - brand new creations (Reshoot 3 Promixa, Aquabyss), second attempts at conversions (Final Fight Enhanced, Bomb Jack Beer Edition), PC and other games adapted for high-end hardware (Death Rally, Dark Forces), even multi-format new games (Cecconoid, Ooze, Tenebra) - and more to come. Even if you thought you'd exhausted every great Amiga game in 2017, they've kept on coming - with plenty more on the way.