English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old Yesterday, 13:06   #81
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I agree on the comments about "the library". "the dos library" sounds/reads awkward.. We are not refererring to a specific instance of dos library, since there is only one in this context.

Also, you would normally write "the purpose of dos library", not "purpose of the dos library".

I think the above stands, regardless of whether you read it as dos-dot-library, or dos-library.

And with that out of the way, otherwise good work Thor!
Old Yesterday, 14:58   #82
fgh

Thanks Dunny and Hooverphonique.

I had a quick look at RKRM:Libraries and while most of it is written the english way, I suspect there were some germans involved in parts of this text as well

A few chapters (ASL and Graphics) have several instances of the German way, like these:
p415: This chapter describes the asl.library.
p669: using the diskfont.library

But most chapters do not, and use the english way like this:

p158: Therefore, a string gadget editing hook must not use dos.library,
p294: For more information on tags and utility.library,
p294: Any application (...) should do so using the tag manipulation functions from utility.library.
p316: it can't use dos.library
p321: ... triggered by a function like intuition.library's ActivateGadget()
p729: When it is first opened, commodities.library
p730: Besides opening commodities.library
p735: Like ArgArraylnit(), ArgArrayDone() uses icon.library

Should you decide to make the change, I have gone through the 358 instances of 'the dos.library' and located the 18 correct instances, so changing it should be quickly done

This became a large discussion of a minor detail though. Great work, Thomas! Looking forward to receiving a printed copy!
Old Yesterday, 15:33   #83
Thomas Richter

Following this reasoning, it should also be "RAM-Handler" instead of "the RAM-Handler" and "Console-Handler" instead of "the Console-Handler", or "Shell" instead of "the Shell", right?
Old Yesterday, 16:49   #84
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Following this reasoning, it should also be "RAM-Handler" instead of "the RAM-Handler" and "Console-Handler" instead of "the Console-Handler", or "Shell" instead of "the Shell", right?
If we're talking about the handler names as referring to specific handler implementations, then the convention should be the same I think.

Regarding "the shell", I'm not so sure - shell is a very generic name. Is "Shell" referring to a single specific thing in AmigaOs?
Old Yesterday, 17:09   #85
Thomas Richter

Well, here things start to become muddy. In the text, I have used "Shell" where I refer to the specific AmigaDOS implementation we see right now in all its glory, and "shell" for the generic object of which "the Shell" is a particular implementation. So, I assume, the answer is "I don't know".

Maybe we should handle this a bit different, and it seems that this is slightly beyond my abilities. What about the following: If there is a native speaker that would be helping to proof-read the book, I'm offering a thank you note in the foreword and a free printed copy of the volume plus shipping, paid from my own pocket.

Does that sound reasonable?