English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old Yesterday, 16:13   #1
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

PAL Games on an NTSC System

I have a question about running PAL games on an NTSC Amiga. If you have a monitor that supports both PAL and NTSC (or are using a VGA monitor with a scandoubler), can you play PAL games on an NTSC ECS equipped Amiga (a 600 for example)? I've been out of the Amiga scene for a long time, but I seem to recall that you can boot ECS systems into PAL mode by holding both mouse buttons down on startup, but that WHDload also had some sort of option for fixing this. I assume there will still be a few software issues, but will something like this make most PAL games playable? I really want to play some RPGs like the Ishar series but those are all PAL I believe.
Old Yesterday, 19:13   #2
LordCrass

Yes. Most PAL games work on an NTSC system with no changes at all, but with side effects like music/gameplay being faster, and if the game used the full PAL resolution, the display will stretch past the bottom of the screen.

You can fix those by putting the system into a PAL display mode. For floppy boot games I usually boot a disk with the tool "degrader" on it, force PAL and survive reboot, then reboot and put the game disk in. That kickstart boot menu that allows you to choose NTSC/PAL is useless for nearly every game.

For WHDLoad, you just right-click the game's icon, choose Icons->Information, and set a tool type that says "PAL" or "NTSC", and the game will launch with that.
Old Yesterday, 20:26   #3
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrass View Post
Yes. Most PAL games work on an NTSC system with no changes at all, but with side effects like music/gameplay being faster.

Is there a way to fix that at all short of using a PAL system?
Old Yesterday, 21:01   #4
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 2084 View Post
Is there a way to fix that at all short of using a PAL system?
WHDLoad.