Just a little lunch break addition...
I recognize him from somewhere
Old 30 July 2024, 19:13   #1263
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
I recognize him from somewhere
This level literally wouldn't have been possible without his effort.
Old 31 July 2024, 20:52   #1264
Karlos
Alien Bleed

In memory of the alien discohall...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-07-31 19-44-56.png
Views:	72
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	82818  
Old 02 August 2024, 00:19   #1265
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

Just gave it a test run, got my arse kicked (out of practice I guess. that and it was a 'pistol start') So had a mooch around in the dev build of the engine with the enemy in cabbage mode.

It looks fab and when I can, I will have to give it a proper go.

Still amazes me that the QR codes work from a lowres PAL screenmode.
Thanks for linking it to my github for the editor

Which reminds me, I really must update it to the latest version when I get the time.
Old 02 August 2024, 09:52   #1266
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Yeah, I don't know that it's properly balanced for a pistol start yet. I take it you found the secret then?

I still haven't defined the achievement for finding it yet...

I haven't finished the actual level from a progression perspective yet. It may be incompletable or have other bugs. The wasp bosses are missing and I don't even recall what I used to trigger the crab, except that it's a delayed release.

Last edited by Karlos; 02 August 2024 at 12:22.
Old Today, 12:46   #1267
eXeler0

So I finally tried this mod on a PiStorm with a CM4 (default clock whatever it is). SysInfo says >1600MIPS and MFLOpS. Loving what Im seeing so far and so refreshing to play TKG at nice framerates :-)
Asm version starts at what I assume is maxed out at 50ish Hz / fps
But interestingly it frequently drops to 40-ish and even down to 37 at some places (first level). (I dont have RTG properly set up yet so its on AGA)
While there is a quite significant boost over 100MHz 060 it maybe wasnt as fast as you'd expect from something that produces 1.5 million dhrystones in SysInfo
Is AGA the bottleneck when it drops from 50 to 37 or what is going on more specifically?

Also, what does pressing F7 do exactly? Most of the other stuff displays a message, but F7 seems a bit mysterious. Pressing F7 5 times can drop the fps on a PiStorm down to 8 fps so something interesting is probably going on
Anyhoo, Ill try to play through some of the later levels. Always nice to see the progress, keep up the good work.

Also, saw some dude is doing aGZDoom TKG conversion, inspired by project Osiris.
Old Today, 13:05   #1268
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Also, saw some dude is doing aGZDoom TKG conversion, inspired by project Osiris.
For people that (also) want to follow that project: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topi...on-for-gzdoom/
Old Today, 13:42   #1269
abu_the_monkey

@eXeler0

F7 applies a frame cap, 50,25,16.6,12.5,10 and 8.3 fps

you can use the C build with AGA (which is recommended) just select lowres PAL from the requester.

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; Today at 18:49.
Old Today, 13:59   #1270
Karlos
Alien Bleed

So, I am going to call it. I have assessed what is necessary to bring the assembler version up to feature parity with the C version and it's simply not worth it in my opinion. This leaves three options

1) Retire it formally, no further builds and remove it from the build process all together.
2) Leave it alone. At some point, it may become incompatible.
3) Use compiler generated for the missing parts.

Until now, maintaining the assembler version has been something of a point of principle. However it's worth noting that there's no tangible performance benefit of the assembler version over the C version as all the performance critical paths are the same.

My preference is for (1) as I think it's just much cleaner going forwards, but I am open to suggesions.
Old Today, 14:21   #1271
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
@eXeler0

F7 applies a frame cap, 50,25,16.6,12.5 and 8.3 fps

you can use the C build with AGA (which is recommended) just select lowres PAL from the requester.
This. I usually lock the frame cap to 25fps for the mod because the animations, especially the weapon ones, look totally broken above that. Truth be told, they probably only look "correct" at around 10fps because that would be the maximum I was rocking originally.

One solution would be to make sure the animations can be made to update only every N frames, much like the lighting animations.
Old Today, 17:54   #1272
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
This. I usually lock the frame cap to 25fps for the mod because the animations, especially the weapon ones, look totally broken above that. Truth be told, they probably only look "correct" at around 10fps because that would be the maximum I was rocking originally.

One solution would be to make sure the animations can be made to update only every N frames, much like the lighting animations.
Right, noticed the rapid-fire pistol ;-)
Any chance it could be timed to actual time
rather than frames or would that steal additional resources / or look weird at low framerates?
Old Today, 18:36   #1273
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Anything is possible in theory. The game logic runs on an interrupt but the rendering is just an ongoing thing that runs as fast as it can and most of the animations are tied to the update rate of the latter.

Before vsync was added, on UAE this resulted in comically high framerates in which meant the lighting pulses were basically strobes and the rotating pickups looked fast enough to be some sort of trap.
Old Today, 18:55   #1274
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
So, I am going to call it. I have assessed what is necessary to bring the assembler version up to feature parity with the C version and it's simply not worth it in my opinion. This leaves three options

1) Retire it formally, no further builds and remove it from the build process all together.
2) Leave it alone. At some point, it may become incompatible.
3) Use compiler generated for the missing parts.

Until now, maintaining the assembler version has been something of a point of principle. However it's worth noting that there's no tangible performance benefit of the assembler version over the C version as all the performance critical paths are the same.

My preference is for (1) as I think it's just much cleaner going forwards, but I am open to suggesions.
this is more related to the main engine thread but, option 1 seems the best option to me as trying to maintain both a C and pure asm build, the pure asm build is a distraction that only adds complexity without benefit.
but it's up to yourself and pipper.
Old Today, 19:17   #1275
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Yeah, it should've been the other thread, lol

I think the ASM only build is something people just assume is going to be better and or faster but it just isn't. Or rather, not faster in any way that matters to the actual framerate.