English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old Yesterday, 17:33   #1
CCCP alert

Did the lack of blood in SNES Mortal Kombat 1 bother you?

Whilst I found it childish for the big N to make it flying green sweat/bogies it actually plays fine and looks nicer than the MegaDrive port and was pretty nippy. If it really bothered me there was always the action replay hack that changed the green to red splatter anyway. I'm sure they ultimately paid for it with a dip in console sales.

You?
Old Yesterday, 17:50   #2
Cimmerian

I owned the snes and genesis when Mortal Kombat was released,I wanted the snes version because of better gfx but when I found out no blood I purchased the genesis version.So for me it effected my purchase.
Old Yesterday, 18:55   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There was a patch for those who had Super Magicom / Super Wildcards
Old Today, 02:01   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

No not at all. Could just play the PC version for that The SNES version was exclusively played two player and you don't pay attention to such petty details when you're sweating trying to be a frame faster than your opponent and getting blocks in with split second timing.

It was top Nintendo anyway, you could still do fatalities. Ripping out spine: yeah go on mate. Red pixels: No soup for you!
Old Today, 02:08   #5
cloverskull

There is a long lost SNES version called Nitro which was never released. There are allegedly two copies of it. This version has blood and some cool fatalities (allegedly). There are some shots of it on YouTube but not a ROM or anything that we can play, sadly.

Edit - the other holy grail vintage gaming item for me would be the Arcade NBA-JAM with Michael Jordan. I was reading that a few of those exist out in the wild, I think MJ owns one.
Old Today, 02:09   #6
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There was a patch for those who had Super Magicom / Super Wildcards
And some magazine printed a pretty lengthy mod for Action Replay owners to change the green 'sweat' to red I remember lol

It put me off Nintendo as a company more than it did the game from what I remember, plus MK II fixed the issue but Sonya Blade in MK1 was hot!!

and as Gimbal said I too had a crack copy for the PC/Amiga anyway at the time
Old Today, 08:22   #7
cloverskull

I'm pretty sure I remember the Game Genie code to bloodify the sweat. I'm going to throw this out there without confirming just to see if I'm right lol. BDB4-DD07 - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old Today, 08:24   #8
donnie

nope.

Last edited by donnie; Today at 08:35.
Old Today, 09:36   #9
Amigajay

Big deal at the time, Sega would have done well at sales that Christmas, petty or not nowadays, game censorship was big and made people decide what console to buy. Made Nintendo a laughing stock in the playgrounds i remember.

The fact Sega sold 50% more Mega Drives than SNES in 1993 in the UK back-ups things like this mattered to gamers at the time.

People forget MK was sold purely on the blood and fatalities, remove the blood and you might as well not bother imo.
Old Today, 17:28   #10
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember the Game Genie code to bloodify the sweat. I'm going to throw this out there without confirming just to see if I'm right lol. BDB4-DD07 - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Game Genie that's it, not Action Replay! I get those two confused between different consoles/computers as an option.

Nintendo always went for a younger demographic, by the time of the SNES there were kids who had the first wave of consoles/computers and had become full blown adults out of their teens so this was a problem. SEGA were going more for that sort of market. Having said that Castle of Illusion was an important early MegaDrive release, one of the best platformers I ever bought in 1991.

Almost all the people I knew back then didn't even consider a SNES until after SF2, the console bundle specifically, was an option. People in my late teens age group didn't give a crap about Mario for that sort of price, certainly wouldn't sell Thunderforce III, Golden Axe and Castle of Illusion hosting MegaDrive for those early PAL SNES games. Super Gradius and Super R-type were decidedly not "super" with all the slow down either. SNES early EU sales figures probably back this up but doesn't really matter, half the demographic prefered SF2 to MK1 so they didn't even care about the whole green blood thing, SNES or PC-Engine was the only place you could play SF2 worth a crap at home and then later SF2 CE on MD as well, which on maximum speed setting is bonkers, as bonkers as a 2 player co-op game of Mega Apocalypse on the C64 lol.
Old Today, 17:32   #11
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Big deal at the time, Sega would have done well at sales that Christmas, petty or not nowadays, game censorship was big and made people decide what console to buy. Made Nintendo a laughing stock in the playgrounds i remember.

The fact Sega sold 50% more Mega Drives than SNES in 1993 in the UK back-ups things like this mattered to gamers at the time.

People forget MK was sold purely on the blood and fatalities, remove the blood and you might as well not bother imo.
Indeed, plays very well to be fair, but although the fatalities are kept in the SNES game some look as tame as SF2 without blood spurting all over the place. I had to check out all of them on a youtube video. It's less violent than Forbidden Forest on the C64 as far as blood squirting out of your poor character!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old Today, 18:24   #12
donnie

It should be noted though. Nes was never a hit in the uk and most of europe. Sms had some success in uk. Mega drive was the first truly successful console in the uk.

But in scandinavia, netherlands. Nes was huge, just like in the us. Easily the biggest gaming platform to date.

Mega drive found success in scn mostly due to sportsgames like ea hockey/elitserien but snes had equal mind share.