English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Yesterday, 17:01   #41
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Give them some time, man.
I was first who asked if it's possible to have 4 player mode, but it's totally understandable if it isn't, and I would be very happy if in the future, they make it to be.

First of all, there aren't many games that supports 4 players. How many games there are, I wonder? I'd say, not more then 20.
And how many people that buy A600GS will even attempt to try playing in 4 players mode? Me, you... and maybe 3 more.
It's totally understandable that this is not focus now.

Besides, A600GS have many other very nice implemented stuff already, that should be more then enough to occupies your attention.
At least, once I have mine, I'd spend hours playing with PPaint and Octamed, and games of course.
But they DID choose a 4-player game to bundle and it would be a good demonstration that the USB/9-pin ports all compliment each other. To be honest now that the Maxi has been pushed to Q1 2025 AmigaKit can afford to take a slow WIP approach I guess.
Old Yesterday, 17:18   #42
d4rk3lf

They didn't choose it because that game have a possibility to be played in 4 player mode, but they had agreement with game creator to bundle it with A600GS, and of course they grabbed opportunity.

Yes, it would be nice, but they probably have some more urgent stuff to deliver first, not sure why you are pushing this so much.

It's not all that important, and I would be happy if they address this even in one year from now.

You are like.. that this is most important feature ever...
Old Yesterday, 17:30   #43
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
You are like.. that this is most important feature ever...
It's the best feature of that game. It also is an interesting discussion point on the status of controller compatibility/availability and whether the USB/9pin ports play nice together. We already know you have to use an USB mouse rather than a 9-pin one until extra drivers are produced, similar issues probably apply to 4-player adapter functionality. Kudos to AmigaKit for getting Octamed, Final Writer and Personal Paint bundled but the bundled games need polishing/optimising.
Old Yesterday, 17:32   #44
amigakit.com

@BigD

At the moment we are working on a new AmiBench update for existing A600GS users plus there is a new Final Writer application update coming soon. Work is ongoing by us and our partners to improve the bundled software regularly. Rome wasn't built in a day. We are methodically working through the software features requested by A600GS users.

RGL have not announced THEA500 Maxi at any point, it is described as a "full size Amiga console" (trademark class 28:toys/video games category). Of course the Amiga was never a console, except for the CD32. The Amiga was a fully fledged computer. It is interesting that they use the Amiga name/branding for the full sized console for the first time. THEA500 Mini was never marketed as an Amiga. Maybe the latest delay is so they can replicate the A600GS feature of 9-pin joystick ports on their product?
Old Today, 01:05   #45
BigD

@amigakit.com

I think the Amiga was prepped to be a Video Games Console but repurposed as a computer (as was Jay's preferred form factor) after the North American Video Games Crash. Likewise the CD32 could be upgraded into a fully functioning computer despite being 'just' a console! This came in useful in 1995 when stocks of A1200s started running low and the SX-1 could fill the gap! THEA500 Mini and soon to be Maxi can also be upgraded to full computers with soft-mods. You see how things come full circle? I think I'd rather have a 'Games Computer' that can be used for word processing than a word processor that can be hacked to play games! That's maybe where our differences lie?

Keep going and you may yet create something special; a sustainable 68k compatible forward thinking Amiga-like platform. Until that day I'll use my Amiga games machines to occasionally do cool serious home computer stuff! Each to their own...
Old Today, 02:58   #46
swoslover

The difference I see at the moment and the reason I chose the A600GS over the A500 mini is that it seems less like a toy and more like an Amiga computer. It also seems like a long term project rather than a quick cash in. What do I know though I'm just a lay Amiga user.
Old Today, 11:16   #47
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoslover View Post
...[the reason] I chose the A600GS over the A500 mini is that it seems less like a toy and more like an Amiga computer.
Probably better to base that choice on real world tests rather than perceptions. Regarding perceptions though, the Mini looks like an A500 which was perceived (wrongly) by many 90s PC users as a 'toy computer'. The A600GS looks like an embedded box with some Checkmark branding. The 'computer' it reminds me of is a Vampire SA. Ironically the A600GS seems to need a keyboard (I guess it has a virtual keyboard like the Mini?) and mouse in practice but is only sold (as standard) with a gamepad. Maybe the idea is it's a similar to buying an A1222 Plus Mobo and using the parts you already own? It makes the basic requirements for smooth running a little more confusing for casual users or returning Amigans!

Again, horses for courses but other than AmiStore and the 9-pin ports which are A600GS only features both are capable of being used as a Amiga 'home computer'.

The "Full Sized Amiga Console" RGL plans show that they have further plans for Amiga products and probably updates shared between the Mini and Naxi.
Old Today, 11:44   #48
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Again, horses for courses but other than AmiStore and the 9-pin ports which are A600GS only features both are capable of being used as a Amiga 'home computer'.

Incorrect again, where's the bluetooth and wifi. Its missing loads of features as standard. My guess is was all done, so they dont have to worry about supporting anything, cause it all works as they intended.

Please stop, all I'm getting from you is mini, mini, mini. Some how you have managed to drag Tabor into this. Mind boggles. Adding GFX card, RAM, SSD etc etc. IS NOT the same as adding a joypad, mouse or keyboard.
Old Today, 12:42   #49
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
...all I'm getting from you is mini, mini, mini. Some how you have managed to drag Tabor into this. Mind boggles. Adding GFX card, RAM, SSD etc etc. IS NOT the same as adding a joypad, mouse or keyboard.
Can you use all your bundled software without a keyboard? Virtual keyboard? If so how do you access it? You're in my view selling this unit on promises of future features and ongoing development and I'm drilling down on what you can do with it now. I assume that you expect people to provide an USB mouse (or buy as an option) and keyboard? Can you use the tiled game loader system software without the keyboard or does it depend on the game?
Old Today, 12:58   #50
amigakit.com

No USB keyboard is necessary but it is recommended. The user can use an onscreen keyboard as described in the A600GS user manual. The onscreen keyboard pops up by pressing a button on the joypad.

The Games menu can be navigated using the joypad, mouse or keyboard. It is up to the user to decide how they want to browse and select games to run
Old Today, 13:12   #51
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Can you use all your bundled software without a keyboard? Virtual keyboard? If so how do you access it? You're in my view selling this unit on promises of future features and ongoing development and I'm drilling down on what you can do with it now. I assume that you expect people to provide an USB mouse (or buy as an option) and keyboard? Can you use the tiled game loader system software without the keyboard or does it depend on the game?

If you had asked at show, you could have used it yourself and all this would have been answered. Trying to explain stuff and actually using it, are to different things.
Old Today, 13:31   #52
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Not sure all the comparisons to the Mini are justified with the A600GS, these products are clearly aimed at different audiences, well in my humble opinion. The Mini satisfies that nostalgia craving for most people, it's used a few times and then left to gather dust on a shelf, occasionally being powered on for a quick blast. The A600GS looks to be a more serious product aimed at longer term use, hence all the productivity stuff and more frequent updates.

The people seeking higher accuracy and authenticity for the Legacy Amiga stuff, e.g The A500 are already using more expensive options, the ARM chip in the GS doesn't have the grunt to run Cycle exact emulation, so there's going to be lot's of edge cases of performance and emulation inaccuracies with various games/demos. It's just nice to have lot's of options these days.
Old Today, 13:54   #53
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
...The Mini satisfies that nostalgia craving for most people, it's used a few times and then left to gather dust on a shelf, occasionally being powered on for a quick blast. The A600GS looks to be a more serious product aimed at longer term use, hence all the productivity stuff and more frequent updates.

...It's just nice to have lot's of options these days.
Both can bring the Amiga back into the living room as promised by the CDTV. Pandory even allows a Video Player and easy MP3/MOD playing from a media bar system like the PS3. The A600GS is likely aiming at enthusiasts with failing original hardware or who baulk at A1200 prices! The irony is that the Mini can run as an A1200/030 type machine quite easily too. We were coding in Blitz Basic 2 under AMiNIMiga on the Mini at the show. I hear that the A600GS will get AmiBlitz bundled shortly. All good. Directly comparable IMHO. I agree that it's good to have competition in 2024! Who knew?!
Old Today, 14:07   #54
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
It's just nice to have lot's of options these days.
This.
Old Today, 18:12   #55
swoslover

A500 mini v A600GS is the 2024 version of ST v Amiga