English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old Today, 00:35   #1
Dedale

Greetings from Absurdistan !

Hello everyone,

I am a middle aged man who has nearly always resided in Brussels. Proud owner of a C64 since my childhood and still a nostalgic user of that machine, i started wanting an Amiga since i was 12.

It started when my father started buying a magazine about games called "jeux et stratégies" that was full of joy and fun. There were pages about video games. I was stunned by the screenshots of amiga games, at the time when the number of colours on screen was a big deal. I remember articles on falcon, populus and point and click games. Since that time, if i received one Belgian franc, i spared it to buy an Amiga 500. With the years passing i coveted more and more that mythical Amiga 500. Magazines with pretty screenshots amplified my desire. The video games magazines i sometimes read at that time were pretty much adverts disguised as information. My father called me "victim of advertisement".

In 1992 a good childhood friend of mine got an Amiga 500 with a memory extension offered by his parents and i gamed at his place. I was really amazed by the graphics of the games. He had lots of fun with his games. Eye of the Beholder, Syndicate, Moonstone, Civilization, Z-Out. And many others.

You guessed it: I never got that Amiga ! So i am nostalgic of a machine i never had.

There is good emulation out there , of course. and i heard there are even USB competition pro joysticks to use with emulators. But it is not the same. One day i will get an hardware Amiga 500.

During a recent discussion with someone who is thinking about selling his Amiga 500, i realized i lacked some practical knowledge on how to have a working mouse on a real Amiga, what to use as a mass storage system and where to buy all that knowing Belgian customs are horrible about everything that comes out of the EU and doesn't come with all the paperwork of an establisehd store.

So i was advised to come here. Especially since registrations on Lemon Amiga are suspended right now. As a good netizen, i have read the rules and er... i hope whoever wrote them then is much less angry now. I have also read the FAQ and was a bit suprised to find it so outdated on what seems to be a very active forum. I am a bit reassured to see smileys here.

I use Xubuntu 22.04 as my OS. I installed FS-UAE without FS-UAE launcher as it is all that resides in my offcial repositories. No WinUAE either. I don't know why. There seems to ba a procedure to make a full install on my OS but i will ask questions about this in another thread.

And later one another thread for my hardware questions.

I don't know why but the preview adds spaces between my paragraphs each time i click "preview".
Old Today, 00:49   #2
Dedale

Oh ! And i did a little bit bit of BASIC programming on my beloved C64. Nothing fancy. Best a did was a solver of system of linear equations. But like an idiot teenager i used divisions instead of multiplications in my pivots !

Last edited by Dedale; Today at 01:04.
Old Today, 01:02   #3
chip

Welcome to the forum
Old Today, 07:59   #4
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Looks like your Amiga history is as labyrinthine as your pseudo refers to. A nice wink
You came to the right place to gather and share about that wonderful computer.
Welcome to the forum Dedale
Old Today, 08:11   #5
dreadnought

Welcome to the forum.

A500 with some add ons is definitely still as much fun today as it was abck then. So I definitely recommend you finally get one

The double spaces between paragraphs has something to do with Firefox and forum software not playing nice. Not much can be done about it, just try to delete them after preview.
Old Today, 08:19   #6
TCD
Global Moderator

Welcome to EAB, Dedale Enjoy your stay!

(The FAQ and rules were written a long time ago when the internet was a dark and scary place )