English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Yesterday, 21:16   #1
lionagony

[WIP] Agony 2 for AmiGameJam 2024

To this day I think Agony is the most beautiful game ever made so when AmiGameJam came along asking to make a sequel to an Amiga game that never had one I thought it would be fun to give Agony 2 a try. I saw on here that the amazing artist Adrian Browne was interested in doing graphics for an AmiGameJam project so I reached out to him with the idea and we've now been working on it for a few months. Adrian's friend has also composed a great music mod for us.

My previous game was Silhouette Threat that I did with my daughter in Scorpion. This will also be a Scorpion game in AGA 64 colors with 3 layers of parallax done with sprite backgrounds. We hope to have one full level done before the contest deadline at the end of November. We're thinking of calling it Anguish. Here's a video of most of the assets we have so far. I know the gameplay of Agony is either loved or hated around here so any suggestions are welcome about how we can make it the best game possible, thanks.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old Yesterday, 21:34   #2
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

We decided to go for a Gyr Falcon rather than an Owl- we also made the bird smaller to improve game-play. The falcon will be fully animated in the finished demo of course. I will also build out the graveyard more cohesively. At least another four enemies are planned and a boss enemy of course. A few more objects and additional animations also- cliffs, a Sabre-tooth cat, some broken down buildings etc. More magic attacks will be added too- Iv'e made a checklist of ten tasks to complete to reach a complete demo. We are trying our best to stick to a Psygnosis style of art- each level will benefit form a unique colour palette also.
Old Yesterday, 22:36   #3
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Great news, good luck with your project. I only had one suggestion to make and you've already thought of it: Reduce the size of the bird.
Old Yesterday, 22:40   #4
Aladin

Good luck
Old Today, 01:13   #5
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
Good luck
Thanks
Old Today, 01:44   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Great news, good luck with your project. I only had one suggestion to make and you've already thought of it: Reduce the size of the bird.
Yes, i felt the over-sized bird led to some cheap deaths at times in Agony- it was around 128 pixels in height if I recall correctly.
Old Today, 01:56   #7
lmimmfn

Good luck, you have a difficult game to surpass.

The original is just soo beautiful.
Old Today, 02:25   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Yes, i felt the over-sized bird led to some cheap deaths at times in Agony- it was around 128 pixels in height if I recall correctly.
Well yes but not all of that is part of the hitbox isn't it? I think the wings don't count. Of course you might still try to dodge unnecessarily and kill yourself because of it
Old Today, 02:40   #9
Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
To this day I think Agony is the most beautiful game ever made so when AmiGameJam came along asking to make a sequel to an Amiga game that never had one I thought it would be fun to give Agony 2 a try. I saw on here that the amazing artist Adrian Browne was interested in doing graphics for an AmiGameJam project so I reached out to him with the idea and we've now been working on it for a few months. Adrian's friend has also composed a great music mod for us.

My previous game was Silhouette Threat that I did with my daughter in Scorpion. This will also be a Scorpion game in AGA 64 colors with 3 layers of parallax done with sprite backgrounds. We hope to have one full level done before the contest deadline at the end of November. We're thinking of calling it Anguish. Here's a video of most of the assets we have so far. I know the gameplay of Agony is either loved or hated around here so any suggestions are welcome about how we can make it the best game possible, thanks.

[ Show youtube player ]
Agony be good but there is another, Lionheart from Thalion, Idon' know who win this duel!
Old Today, 03:01   #10
Lewis

I leave to you a name if you have copyrights problem for "Agony 2" name.

Owl 2
===Alestes Rises Again===
(A new flight is undertaken)

Last edited by Lewis; Today at 04:20.
Old Today, 14:53   #11
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Well yes but not all of that is part of the hitbox isn't it? I think the wings don't count. Of course you might still try to dodge unnecessarily and kill yourself because of it
It could be that the wings are excluded from the hit box- or maybe I'm just a bad Agony player...
Old Today, 15:22   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
I know the gameplay of Agony is either loved or hated around here so any suggestions are welcome about how we can make it the best game possible, thanks.
I wouldn't exactly say I hate it, just that it is too easy for a long time in the beginning and thus rather boring. If you manage to get the 4 initial power ups (which is easy), you became too powerful and barely need to move at all.

So, perhaps better balancing of enemy projectiles, movement patterns, and power up radius tweaking could make things more interesting.
Old Today, 15:55   #13
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Agony be good but there is another, Lionheart from Thalion, Idon' know who win this duel!
That's why I incorporated Lionheart and Agony in my username. I always go back and forth between which one is more beautiful so like the famous meme says, "why not both?"
Old Today, 16:03   #14
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I wouldn't exactly say I hate it, just that it is too easy for a long time in the beginning and thus rather boring. If you manage to get the 4 initial power ups (which is easy), you became too powerful and barely need to move at all.

So, perhaps better balancing of enemy projectiles, movement patterns, and power up radius tweaking could make things more interesting.
Yes, and more interesting boss battles- which is planned.
Old Today, 16:13   #15
haps
Rumpig

Piano intro is a must. xD