English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 August 2023, 18:29   #1
wiz12

PiMidi

I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything Midi related on the Amiga and now see that games like Blood and Dark Forces support it using a Raspberry Pi on something called PiMidi. My question is what is it and how does it work on the Amiga?
Old 07 August 2023, 12:28   #2
Jope
-

Please link to which PiMidi project you are interested in? There seem to be a few different projects with the same name.

The one that does RTP MIDI will not be possible to connect to an Amiga directly, you would need some other computer that has physical MIDI and the capability to route the MIDI data from there to RTP MIDI.

The projects that have 5pin DIN connectors just hook up to an Amiga MIDI interface and work that way. The Amiga MIDI interface hooks up to the Amiga's serial port.
Old 07 August 2023, 13:34   #3
btp

You can use MT32-PI the Raspberry Pi 3 bare-metal midi emulator: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi

Then build (or buy a ready-made hat such as this https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/pro...g-raspberry-pi) to make it able to connect to your Amiga with the help of a serial-to-midi cable/
Old 07 August 2023, 14:27   #4
wiz12

I didn't realise there are more than one option available for the Amiga however what btp mentions is pretty much what I'm looking for and this arananet baremetal emulator looks ideal but sadly not in stock. Are there other options or would something like this work too?

https://thepihut.com/products/midi-b...r-raspberry-pi
Old 07 August 2023, 15:50   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
I didn't realise there are more than one option available for the Amiga however what btp mentions is pretty much what I'm looking for and this arananet baremetal emulator looks ideal but sadly not in stock.
The baremetal part is "just" software that you can get from the github page.. It also mentions alternative ways of getting analog audio out, and midi in..
A quick search reveals that The Pi Hut has separate hats for midi in and audio out, which I very much suspect you could stack to get the same result (verify the DAC on the audio hat is supported by mt32-pi first though).
Old 07 August 2023, 20:44   #6
wiz12

Does the Amiga audio output need to be converted into midi output with something like this adapter before it's connected to the HAT?

https://sordan.ie/product/1221/seria...in5-for-amiga/
Old 07 August 2023, 21:24   #7
btp

You will need a serial to midi out adapter so that the midi commands that the Amiga outputs can be sent to the midi in port connected to your RPi3 with the mt32-pi software.

For all this to work the game you are interested in should support midi output for it's sound/music. Please note that there is NO such thing as automatic conversion of the Amiga sound to midi!
Old 08 August 2023, 01:23   #8
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
You will need a serial to midi out adapter so that the midi commands that the Amiga outputs can be sent to the midi in port connected to your RPi3 with the mt32-pi software.

For all this to work the game you are interested in should support midi output for it's sound/music. Please note that there is NO such thing as automatic conversion of the Amiga sound to midi!

Thanks.
Old Today, 12:31   #9
Craziazkowboi

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help with a MT32-pPi please, and this looked like the closest thread to post in.

I purchased an Amiga MIDI interface (K12) from Amigastrore.eu but can not get any data from the K12 on the Amiga to my MT32-pi. The K12 plugs into the serial port and provides 1xMIDI IN and 1xMIDI Out 5 pin DINS.

https://amigastore.eu/en/590-midi-in...for-amiga.html

I am using Kickstart and OS 3.2.2.1.

I have checked my serial port, it works fine with a WiiMODEMPro at 38400 Baud.

I do get sound from my normal audio ports, playing a mod file for example.

My Bulky-mt32-pi is starting up fine, and I have checked the config and using a known good config from the seller.

I have downloaded CAMD and CAMD40 from aminet, and also the SMF datatype. I can play a .MID file from Multiview and the Piano meter from CAMD-tools shows something is playing, but still no sound and no data.

Attempting to play an MT32 enabled game from WHDLoad also produces no sound. I have tried changing my serial prefs, and pumped it up to 31250 baud, no parity, no handshake, 8 bits, 1 stop bit.

I can connect my MT32-Pi to a Yamaha electric piano, and it does receive data. So I think I have narrowed this to the K12 - or something I have missed on my Amiga to enable the K12?

What have I missed pleased, what can I check? I have an Oscilloscope and a multimeter if anyone can tell me what to look for, I would be very grateful for the help.

Thank you!
Old Today, 13:10   #10
tolkien
AmigaMan

In the mt32-pi.cfg file you can configure the output device.

# pwm: Use the headphone jack
# hdmi: Use the HDMI port
# i2s: Use an I2S DAC

output_device = pwm

Check what output you have or try to another.