English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Yesterday, 13:43   #21
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@BigD

All these soft-mods you promote are not officially supported by RGL because they are of dubious legal origin. They are a collection of mostly unlicenced software without many original author's permission. Therefore these hacks are not a product feature of THEA500 Mini as they are third party underground archives distributed by dubious means: Mega, Torrents etc.

Everything on the A600GS has been either source code rights purchased by us or licenced by us. So customers are buying a legal product. We have gone to great efforts to provide a legitimate commercial product. Therefore comparing a legal product with unlicenced hacks is not a fair comparison.
RGL have their hands tied due to licensing restrictions due to the ongoing Amiga IP battles. The hacks are a necessity to get around that. Some of your customers' ADFs loaded onto the A600GS will be of dubious legality and until the AmiStore is launched MOST software will be sourced from ROM archive sites I would imagine. I own OS3.9, DPaint V and Blitz Basic 2 so running that software is no big deal for me legally. Some customers will wait for the Maxi rather than buy your product or at least wait and see. That's life! I'm not disparaging your product just offering some feedback and again pointing out that you do have to compete with RGL whether you like it or not!

...also, a lot of people that buy your PiStorm boards will run CaffeineOS. Similar legal ambiguity! Horses for courses IMHO.
Old Yesterday, 14:24   #22
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
RGL have their hands tied due to licensing restrictions due to the ongoing Amiga IP battles. The hacks are a necessity to get around that. Some of your customers' ADFs loaded onto the A600GS will be of dubious legality and until the AmiStore is launched MOST software will be sourced from ROM archive sites I would imagine. I own OS3.9, DPaint V and Blitz Basic 2 so running that software is no big deal for me legally. Some customers will wait for the Maxi rather than buy your product or at least wait and see. That's life! I'm not disparaging your product just offering some feedback and again pointing out that you do have to compete with RGL whether you like it or not!

...also, a lot of people that buy your PiStorm boards will run CaffeineOS. Similar legal ambiguity! Horses for courses IMHO.

What are you talking about????
What a load of rubbish (on going legal IP battles). So they can't update Amiberry??? They already have the rights to distribute roms with mini and some games. How is that IP legal battles. Biggest problem with mini, is Amiberry is old and missing loads of new features.

In regards to roms and software, you just made the point. We (unlike others) can not preload apps and games. If a customer does this in their own home, thats up to them. We cant hand out full setups like caffeineOS with thousands of apps and games.

Yes, I have the first PS32 board made here by me and I have never run CaffieneOS and never intend to.

Now can we get this thread back on track, as someone already created a new thread, just so this thread didn't get cluttered up with things not even relating to GS updates.

Last edited by FOL; Yesterday at 14:30.
Old Yesterday, 14:37   #23
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
What are you talking about????
Under the terms of the usage of the Cloanto ROMs, they can't provide a Workbench environment or market it as a computer rather than a games console is all that I meant! Oh course they could update AmiBerry but I don't wait around for RGL to update that just like I don't expect Team17 to update Alien Breed 3D 2 or Electronic Arts to update Sensible World of Soccer or DPaint! The only way most of the Amiga software WILL get updated is through the community and hacks. It's been that way for OS3.5/3.9 and even for software from Eyetech.

While it is admirable that you are attempting to forge an official alternative to this, you have to get to a point where the product speaks for itself with the AmiStore and I would argue a serial port upgrade option and then you'll have the advantage. Until that point THEA500 Mini IS formidable competition because the likes of Ami-Jimmy and Team Pandory have made it so, not that RGL deserve it TBH! If the Maxi locks out community modders then the advantage defaults back to you the way I see it!

I also submit that to add Internet store functionality you have to make the system more secure and hence you will not have a soft mod scene and so yes the job of adding features is yours and yours only. That might seem unfair.

Last edited by BigD; Yesterday at 14:43.
Old Yesterday, 14:45   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Under the terms of the usage of the Cloanto ROMs, they can't provide a Workbench environment or market it as a computer rather than a games console is all that I meant! Oh course they could update AmiBerry but I don't wait around for RGL to update that just like I don't expect Team17 to update Alien Breed 3D 2 or Electronic Arts to update Sensible World of Soccer or DPaint! The only way most of the Amiga software WILL get updated is through the community and hacks. It's been that way for OS3.9 and even for software from Eyetech.

While it is admirable that you are attempting to forge an official alternative to this, you have to get to a point where the product speaks for itself with AmiStore and I would argue a serial port upgrade option and then you'll have the advantage. Until that point THEA500 Mini IS formidable competition because the likes of Ami-Jimmy and Team Pandory have made it so, not that RGL deserve it TBH!

Im sorry, I can no longer talk to you. Your just posting silly things now.
Why the hell would Team17 and others update 30 games and apps, they couldnt really care about. You are talking about a new product. I love the way they drop support for it and all you can do is say how great that is. Bet you have a house full of apple products. Please read what you have written. It comes across as rambling about nothing.

Fact is, why will they not update Amiberry and why do I have to use pandory, just to use my real floppy drive. Just another mini users opinion that does not agree with yours.

This is not a mini is better cause of this thread. Its an update thread. Go post in the thread made for discussing GS.
Mods please can we split posts and put them in GS discussion thread.
Old Yesterday, 14:52   #25
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Done.
Old Yesterday, 14:54   #26
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Done.

Danke
Old Yesterday, 15:15   #27
BigD

Quote:
Im sorry, I can no longer talk to you. Your just posting silly things now.
Why the hell would Team17 and others update 30 games and apps, they couldnt really care about. You are talking about a new product. I love the way they drop support for it and all you can do is say how great that is. Bet you have a house full of apple products. Please read what you have written. It comes across as rambling about nothing.

Fact is, why will they not update Amiberry and why do I have to use pandory, just to use my real floppy drive. Just another mini users opinion that does not agree with yours.

This is not a mini is better cause of this thread. Its an update thread. Go post in the thread made for discussing GS.
I agree. No point discussing more.

Actually practical point of discussion...
So, if I'd have hotplugged my USB THEC64 Joystick into the 3rd USB port of the GS during the Super Skidmarks menu would it have worked for 2-player games?
Old Yesterday, 15:19   #28
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I agree. No point discussing more.

Actually practical point of discussion...
So, if I'd have hotplugged my USB THEC64 Joystick into the 3rd USB port of the GS during the Super Skidmarks menu would it have worked for 2-player games?

Yes, I regularly do this when testing stuff. However, it may need a cofig file for stick.
It works on mini, as its their product. So amiberry should have config already, like our pad that comes with GS.

Joystick / Pad config, is planned.
Old Yesterday, 15:27   #29
BigD

Quote:
Yes, I regularly do this when testing stuff. However, it may need a cofig file for stick.
It works on mini, as its their product. So amiberry should have config already, like our pad that comes with GS.

OK, good to know!
Old Yesterday, 23:07   #30
BigD

Quote:

Can you buy an extra A600GS Official Gamepad to easily play 2-player games? Would a 9-pin Zipstick equally do the job in one of the Rabbit Hole board ports?
Old Yesterday, 23:16   #31
amigakit.com

@BigD

You can plug 2x joysticks into the A600GS 9-pin ports and also 2x USB joypads into the rear. You can also connect Bluetooth joypads.
Old Today, 08:06   #32
Gods
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Can you buy an extra A600GS Official Gamepad to easily play 2-player games?
The A600GS controller is a Chinese clone of a SNES controller in USB format.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006616325370.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNES-Manette_webp_75.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	82953  
Old Today, 09:32   #33
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@BigD

You can plug 2x joysticks into the A600GS 9-pin ports and also 2x USB joypads into the rear. You can also connect Bluetooth joypads.
If it's so easy and is compatible with such a range of USB and 9-pin joustick/joypads, I don't understand why 4-player Super Skidmarks wasn't being demoed ar Zzap! Live TBH?
Old Today, 11:02   #34
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
If it's so easy and is compatible with such a range of USB and 9-pin joustick/joypads.

I do not see the need for your (what seems like) trolling, you seem to be pushing this hard.
I'm not a performing seal, you can prod for entertainment.

("If it's so easy and is compatible with such a range of USB and 9-pin joustick/joypads"). Yes controllers will work, but not all have same button mappings, so need a config file to make them map correctly (unless your using official GS pads). As I have already said, custom button mapping is planned.

Quote:
I don't understand why 4-player Super Skidmarks wasn't being demoed ar Zzap! Live TBH?

I don't understand why your pushing this. So your saying we should have just erased everything and just had skidmarks with 4 controllers?

I'm sorry, it doesnt just play skidmarks. I can see what your trying to do. Please enough. You are trying to compare it with Mini, all the time. Lets end this with Bluetooth and Wifi. Yes, Bluetooth controllers also work fine.
Old Today, 11:35   #35
BigD

Quote:
Yes controllers will work, but not all have same button mappings, so need a config file to make them map correctly (unless your using official GS pads). As I have already said, custom button mapping is planned....

I don't understand why your pushing this. So your saying we should have just erased everything and just had skidmarks with 4 controllers?

...Lets end this with Bluetooth and Wifi. Yes, Bluetooth controllers also work fine.
OK, currently only official pads are guaranteed to be mapped correctly prior to the release of a config/button mapping tool. Fine, where can people buy additional A600GS pads to assure compatibility for at least 2-player games?

I would think if you have a machine with 5-ports (including the mouse) and a you bundle a 4-player game, you should demo that 4-players are supported in my view.

Ref: Bluetooth: I understand that the A600GS has some cool features but it would be nice to see them in action rather than just be told "it should work" all the time! As already stated, the Amiga User Group room had a A600GS sit pretty much idle all day because of some of these issues and niggles. If it requires a keyboard or a list of controls to play Virtual GP for example then that should be spelt out. When I ask for clarification you see it as an unfair comparison to the Mini. People should be informed on what both machines can do.

Here's the link for Team Pandoy controller database settings if that's of use to get more controllers mapped correctly?

https://code.teampandory.com/pandory...ref_type=heads

...it has the RGL Gamepad/Joystick included.

Last edited by BigD; Today at 11:50.