English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old Today, 16:12   #1
minator

Reading an Amiga HD on another system

I'm trying to transfer an old 2.5 inch Amiga HD from an A1200 to a Mac.

I got a USB adaptor that plugs into various types of drives and the A1200 drive powers up, but the Mac (of course) doesn't recognise it.
It's not listed when I list the drives so I can't see a way to get it to mount.

AFAIK if I can get the drive to mount something like AmiBerry should then be able to read it.

Anyone had luck trying to do this?
Old Today, 16:28   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

I've started sharing data between WinUAE and the real machine by mounting my real amiga drive using a IDE adapter on PC so yes it's possible.
Old Today, 16:29   #3
hitchhikr

Don't know about the Macintosh but on Windows one can manipulate Amiga formatted CF cards plugged in USB ports with WinUAE (when launched as administrator) as normal Amiga HD.
Old Today, 16:29   #4
SkulleateR

Did you try a DISKUTIL LIST in a terminal window if you Amiga HDD is showing up ? I think your drive IS indeed mounted but will not show up because it´s an unknown type
Old Today, 20:12   #5
fgh

Any computer with the right interface and imaging software can create an image of an amiga drive.

Just make a raw image (= a full bit by bit copy) of the drive, and access it under emulation.

Mac OS X disk utility can do this. Just turn off compression and encryption, and you’ll get a raw image usable anywhere. (It will still default to naming it .dmg but it can be renamed to whatever extension you like)

Many IDE-USB adapters are unable to read very old IDE disks though.
Those adapters only know ‘LBA’ addressing, which very old drives (less than ~4-500MB?) do not know.
If disk utility reports the total size of the drive correctly it will work.

I don’t remember how disk utility shows drives with unfamiliar partition/file systems (like amiga drives).
If it’s not listed anywhere at all, or shows up as size 0 (windows does this) it might be a CHS only (no LBA) drive, and you’ll have to connect it to a computer with an IDE interface, or use the USB adapter on a PC. WinUAE has a magic trick that lets you read drives with these adapters that even windows itself cannot access.

Edit: Not sure what it looks like in recent versions of OS X, but the option to disable compression in the image file was confusingly called ‘Compression: Read/Write’ on my old 10.4 G4.

Last edited by fgh; Today at 21:04.